Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 12:07 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
cwkimbro, Think you are just going to have to stick your brand of rose-colored glasses and I will stick to mine.

I cannot find anywhere that gives more than speculation on Atlanta's metro center of population. However, it is relevant to to note that Georgia's center of population is still closer to Macon than Atlanta.
I studied Geography and demography that I use to do spatial economic research.

I don't have the rose-colored glasses on. I have been studying this for a very long time.

Unlike some here, I don't cheerlead about development OTP vs ITP. My family dates back in this region for a very long time and I love this region and care about all areas equally. I love the happenings intown. I want more development south to keep us from being so lopsided, but I also see and appreciate what happens in our northern suburbs. I'm also looking at things from how they are.

Over half of the metro's population are in the northern suburban counties outside I-285 alone.

There are a bit less than 750,000 people inside I-285 altogether out of a metro of over 5.2 million.

One thing to note about the state center of population. That is something I have never bothered to research, but actually an interesting thing. That isn't really relevant to the growth trends we are discussing in Metro Atlanta, especially analyzing the needs of corporate locations.

What I will say though.... It will definitely fall within Atlanta's MSA borders and closer to the core counties. Over 54% of Georgia's 2010 census population was in the MSA. Over 45% is in the much smaller urban area that is mostly centered on Atlanta's core counties, so I would expect to fall somewhere within Atlanta's urban area boundary or close to it.

But where exactly would be interesting... Might fiddle with that when I have more freetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 12:12 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
cwkimbro, Think you are just going to have to stick your brand of rose-colored glasses and I will stick to mine.

I cannot find anywhere that gives more than speculation on Atlanta's metro center of population. However, it is relevant to to note that Georgia's center of population is still closer to Macon than Atlanta.
According to Wikipedia, the center of population is in northeast Butts County, north/northwest of Macon. Looks to be almost smack dab at the midpoint of Atlanta and Macon. It is only a few miles from the Henry County line. The link below seems to be from the 2010 census. It is only logical to think that each year it moves incrementally closer to Atlanta.

Meanwhile the geographic center is in Twiggs County southeast of Macon. Thus the pull of Atlanta to move it quite off center, roughly 60 miles off center to the north/northwest, directly toward Atlanta.

http://wikimapia.org/14153266/Georgi...-of-Population

Geographic Center of Georgia

Old 01-10-2015, 12:24 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
According to Wikipedia, the center of population is in northeast Butts County, north/northwest of Macon. Looks to be almost smack dab at the midpoint of Atlanta and Macon. It is only a few miles from the Henry County line. The link below seems to be from the 2010 census. It is only logical to think that each year it moves incrementally closer to Atlanta.

Meanwhile the geographic center is in Twiggs County southeast of Macon. Thus the pull of Atlanta to move it quite off center, roughly 60 miles off center to the north/northwest, directly toward Atlanta.

Georgia's Center of Population

Geographic Center of Georgia
Good find! Georgia's center of population almost has a lake front view!

I also found this once I searched for it: https://explorer.dol.state.ga.us/mis.../popcenter.pdf

It is interesting to see how its moved over time.

In the early part of the decade it almost was in the center of Macon.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:18 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,245 times
Mercedes Benz in talks to lease Perimeter office buildings Sterling Pointe - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Old 01-21-2015, 08:31 AM

989 posts, read 1,742,649 times
I feel sorry for anyone who works in that building, traffic is a nightmare there. I use to ride a shuttle from Sterling Pointe to Dunwoody MARTA it was quicker to walk.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:40 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
I feel sorry for anyone who works in that building, traffic is a nightmare there. I use to ride a shuttle from Sterling Pointe to Dunwoody MARTA it was quicker to walk.
Small world, onemanarmy! I used to work in that building too, and I often did walk to the Dunwoody Station myself.

On the days I did drive, it could take 30 minutes just to get to the Perimeter from there.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:22 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,804,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Jolie-Pitt View Post
Both Raleigh and Charlotte already have daily nonstop service to London, and US Air/American has been adamant that Charlotte will remain a hub... Did you read this somewhere, or is it just a guess?
Words are, well, just words. Delta de-hubbed Memphis. United de-hubbed Cleveland.

Charlotte is not a massive metro area and doesn't have a massive corporate base like an Atlanta, Miami, Washington, Dallas, ect. Charlotte also lacks any real colleges, including a Tier 1 universities (like a Emory, Georgia Tech, ect.)

Lufthansa had feed on both ends with US Airway's Star Alliance hub. Will they still be able to generate enough profitable traffic on feed from and through Munich alone over the long-term?

American is a very hub-centric, less-is-more hubs compared to its competitors. They tend to focus on fewer, bigger hubs in strategic and O&D-rich markets.

Delta flies to Stuggart non-stop from Atlanta. A big plus for MB and Porsche (who also recently relocated their NA HQ to Atlanta as well), which is where their world headquarters are. Atlanta is the only city in the Americas that has a non-stop flight to Stuggart.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
Words are, well, just words. Delta de-hubbed Memphis. United de-hubbed Cleveland.

Charlotte is not a massive metro area and doesn't have a massive corporate base like an Atlanta, Miami, Washington, Dallas, ect. Charlotte also lacks any real colleges, including a Tier 1 universities (like a Emory, Georgia Tech, ect.)

Lufthansa had feed on both ends with US Airway's Star Alliance hub. Will they still be able to generate enough profitable traffic on feed from and through Munich alone over the long-term?

American is a very hub-centric, less-is-more hubs compared to its competitors. They tend to focus on fewer, bigger hubs in strategic and O&D-rich markets.

Delta flies to Stuggart non-stop from Atlanta. A big plus for MB and Porsche (who also recently relocated their NA HQ to Atlanta as well), which is where their world headquarters are. Atlanta is the only city in the Americas that has a non-stop flight to Stuggart.
Great post, Wolfpacker!

Just an fyi, ties between American/US Airways and Star Alliance are pretty much done. It's all going to be OneWorld now.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:54 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,804,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Great post, Wolfpacker!

Just an fyi, ties between American/US Airways and Star Alliance are pretty much done. It's all going to be OneWorld now.
Yep. I don't see American staying long-term at Charlotte (and, I like Charlotte too, visit it often to see family and friends that live there). I see them continuing to shift it's focus and build up it's hub and feed through Miami (Latin America and Caribbean) and New York-JFK.

From this article that's a year old, it does seem like Lufthansa is committed to Munich-Charlotte: Lufthansa: We’re not cutting Charlotte-Munich flight | CharlotteObserver.com

But Atlanta has Delta serving Munich, and if you draw a company like BMW in, it's possible Lufthansa might also serve the Atlanta-Munich route in addition to it's daily route to Frankfurt.

On a side note, is the 2 hr, 40 minute drive from downtown Atlanta to Spartanburg, SC compared to the 1 hr and 20 hr for Charlotte-Spartanburg (according to Google Maps) going to make a big difference if BMW did decide to relocate their NA headquarters to Atlanta or Charlotte?

BTW, yes, I know Charlotte has universities like UNC-Charlotte and Davidson, but they're not those magnet and R&D institutions that attract the cream of the crop and dollars.

Last edited by Wolfpacker; 01-21-2015 at 11:03 PM..

Old 01-21-2015, 11:12 PM

^I'm hearing that American is going to 'right-size' Charlotte, but the hub there isn't going anywhere. It's extremely profitable, and the 'new' AA has already figured it out.

They will be losing some long and thin routes like Rio and certain Euro cities, but they will still be one of AA's largest hubs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta