Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 08:37 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post

These aren't Howard. If they have money, make sure the vendors know it as I'm sure they would be most interested....who was it that couldn't pay their water bill a few years ago??? The f'in water bill??? Reaaaally?
Morris Brown IIRC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 09:24 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,011 times
Some of you on this thread really need to get out more. Whether you believe UGA, Ga. Tech, and Emory should be 1-2-3 or 3-2-1 in the rankings (or even below 3), all three universities will be rather hard to get into. These three get applications from all over the US, Canada, and beyond. I did UGA and made very good grades, but today I probably wouldn't be accepted into the freshman class based on high school record and SATs. About 4 years ago one teenage Atlanta girl I know was dissuaded by her HS guidance counselor from applying to UGA. Her crime? The poor girl's combined v/m SAT score fell below 1300 and her cumulative high school GPA was (get this!) "only 3.7". The days of going to UGA "because Georgia has a good football team", "because I want to marry a lawyer and live in a mansion", or "I want to party like a redneck and join a frat" -- those are long gone, ladies and gents. Emory was always difficult to get into -- you always needed a rather stellar HS record -- and Ga. Tech was not easy either. Add to that: UGA. In 2015, all three universities will probably refuse your charms. They are impressed by good SATs and a 3.9 grade-point average. Mercer isn't far behind: its admissions requirements are pretty stiff these days. That said, I hear Georgia Southern, Georgia State Univ., Georgia College, and most others mentioned here are still not that selective. They are simply not in the same category as the Big GA Three -- far from it. You heard it here.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:29 AM

346 posts, read 388,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
It just means Tech recruits go-getters and achievers. They'd probably achieve even without Tech. Astronaut picks had more to do with being good test pilots than university training. Besides, even monkeys and dogs went into space, animals and astronauts were there mostly for the ride.

Guess I should apply to NASA, my resume should rise to the top because of Tech!
The wording of your last sentence makes it sound like you went to Tech. We know that can't be, though.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Mathman - What is up with your illogical self inventing school ratings system you have laid out in this post? I graduated from MIT and I can tell you that there is more to a good college than it being a research university which invents stuff. A good college is one which turns out good graduates who go out into the world and build businesses that give jobs to folks, which turns out graduates who become business and political leaders, which produces doctors to make the sick well... one which produces folks who enter the work force and are productive. I'd even go so far as to say that a great school is one that turns out graduates who grow up to be moral, responsible and productive human beings who do right by their family and friends.
That's a good comment. The notion that universities are nothing but glorified trade schools has settled into some people's minds.

Also, if one is familiar with actual research (such as actually attending a good university), one knows that a lot of research is done that is so specialized and technical, it won't make an attention grabbing headline for laymen. But the research leads to many benefits to society, nevertheless.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:10 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckshere View Post
The wording of your last sentence makes it sound like you went to Tech. We know that can't be, though.
You know less than you think, I know all about Tech. I even had to take the infamous "Drown-Proofing" class.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Mathman - What is up with your illogical self inventing school ratings system you have laid out in this post?
I'm not attempting to rate schools. And where's the illogic? I just find it interesting that Tech, UGA, and Emory don't have any great accomplishments.

Quote:
I graduated from MIT and I can tell you that there is more to a good college than it being a research university which invents stuff. A good college is one which turns out good graduates who go out into the world and build businesses that give jobs to folks, which turns out graduates who become business and political leaders, which produces doctors to make the sick well... one which produces folks who enter the work force and are productive. I'd even go so far as to say that a great school is one that turns out graduates who grow up to be moral, responsible and productive human beings who do right by their family and friends.
Schools like Tech make no attempt to teach morality and doing right by their family. They aren't particularly interested in crafting an individual. It's mostly putting students through the ringer and see if they can make it.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
You know less than you think, I know all about Tech. I even had to take the infamous "Drown-Proofing" class.
You did graduate from Ga Tech?

Old 01-09-2015, 11:22 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Quote:
Schools like Tech make no attempt to teach morality and doing right by their family. They aren't particularly interested in crafting an individual. It's mostly putting students through the ringer and see if they can make it.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckshere View Post
That's a good comment. The notion that universities are nothing but glorified trade schools has settled into some people's minds.
We might be better for it, if they were. Everyone is put on the PhD track and most fall by the wayside on that journey. That's how it works.

Quote:
Also, if one is familiar with actual research (such as actually attending a good university), one knows that a lot of research is done that is so specialized and technical, it won't make an attention grabbing headline for laymen. But the research leads to many benefits to society, nevertheless.
Much of research is of questionable value as it's often so esoteric. Just look at the titles of much of the work published. One important reason to measure citations to determine the value of produced research. I recall one professor of mine talking about the huge volume of work produced by another professor. I was tempted to ask how much is his work cited? That professor contributed to a technique to optimize digital circuits that we had to learn and use on the tests. To this day, I can't find any mention of his technique being used outside of his class. And yes, his work was published.

Last edited by MathmanMathman; 01-09-2015 at 12:11 PM..

Old 01-09-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
The best answer I can provide is an old shirt sold at the Tech Bookstore, it said"

"It's a Tech thing" and on the back "you wouldn't understand".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta