Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 02:45 PM

109 posts, read 329,332 times

Advertisements

Well, I think it's time to search for a home. However, I need to get preapproved first. So, being a teacher, I know I am entitled to perks. Then again, I could be wrong .

Anyway, what institutions should I looks at? I was thinking about starting with WAMU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 04:02 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,350,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher30004 View Post
Well, I think it's time to search for a home. However, I need to get preapproved first. So, being a teacher, I know I am entitled to perks. Then again, I could be wrong .

Anyway, what institutions should I looks at? I was thinking about starting with WAMU.
Not sure what size mortgage you are trying to qualify for and/or what sort of "perks" you are looking for, but I would ALWAYS shop around for multiple mortgage rates from different banks before deciding what bank to go with. It always amazes me how the terms of a mortgage (and interest rate) can be so different from bank to bank, even though your FICO score, salary, and debt obligations (what the evaluate primarily) stay the same. And don't forget...just because you are prequalified for a mortgage at a certain bank, you do not necessarily have to go with a mortgage from that bank when you decide to buy a house. Good luck.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:45 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
I think teachers can deduct more on taxes. Not sure what other perks area available.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:19 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,654 times
You may want to go through a mortgage broker who has the ability to find you different loans/deals through various banks. If you are working with a realtor or know one they may refer you to a mortgage broker. Of course you could get preapproved through the broker and if you are not happy find other financing later on once you have found your property

Old 01-07-2008, 05:39 AM

281 posts, read 1,054,848 times
When I sold my home we had an initial contract with a "pre approved" buyer. It was our realator's experience that online preapprovals would go through but at the time of closing the packet would go to the underwriter and be denied. The online tech still got their commision for a preapproval but no way would the underwriter touch it. We made our buyer get a preapproval through a local bank. They were denied.

Very interesting experience.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:16 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,041 times
There are definitely special mortgage products out there for educators. You'll just need to look around to find them and figure out what's the best program for you.

The NEA also has a program you might be interested in:

NEA Member Benefits - Loan Programs

Old 01-07-2008, 08:26 AM

259 posts, read 1,324,258 times
The rules of the lending game have changed until the banks' boards and execs forget how they are/were getting burned on the easy credit game rules of the last three years. Maybe give it another three years and you'll be finding rule bending in the name of market share and fee volume mentality again.........because the only difference between you and a big bank President is $1M in salary.

Certainly, through 12/31, lenders wanted their balance sheets higher in cash and lower in loans and so they had their underwriters look for reasons to decline in the past couple of months. Since the vast majority of American home buyers are incapable of reading any piece of mortgage loan documentation......so "we'll take the brokers word for it and spend the time watching TV instead".......a pre-approval or even a formal commitment letter are nowhere near the end of process/binding commitment that most people assume these to be.

You had better believe you will need to be sending in bank statements and refilling out underwriting forms until the day before closing.

All that said, I believe the "special terms" given to "teachers" is still alive. I have no knowledge of anything WaMu offers, but I do know BofA had/has a package. Pick up the phone and call.........no sense getting anything this important second hand.

Last edited by casualobserver; 01-07-2008 at 08:36 AM..

Old 01-07-2008, 04:37 PM

109 posts, read 329,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post
There are definitely special mortgage products out there for educators. You'll just need to look around to find them and figure out what's the best program for you.

The NEA also has a program you might be interested in:

NEA Member Benefits - Loan Programs

I will check this out. Thanks.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:53 PM

12 posts, read 70,998 times
Default Mortgage Tip - NACA

I'm getting a mortgage with NACA. Check out Bostonian of 2007 They are a non-profit neighborhood stabilization organization and they offer mortgages with no money down, no closing costs (yes, believe it or not this is for real). The best feature of their mortgages is that they allow you to buy down the interest rate with your down payment. There are some catches to their program, including a $50 per month membership that is rolled into the mortgage. It provides you with financial assistance in the event of a hardship. The website has a lot of info on it including many articles from newspapers and the press about their organization and the mortage program. They have no upper income limit but there is a limit to the amount you can purchase. I'm just about to purchase a house using their mortgage. Good luck.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:39 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casualobserver View Post
You had better believe you will need to be sending in bank statements and refilling out underwriting forms until the day before closing.
Not if it is all gathered up front by someone who knows what they are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta