Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 05:47 AM

3 posts, read 12,086 times

Advertisements

I am planning on relocating to Atlanta from Bermuda in 2008, when my son is 5 and ready for elementary school and also so that I can go back to school, Georgia State University.

I am visting next week, November 11 - 14, to take a look at different areas. I am looking for an area with good schools, private included. The school should have a good-sized black population, student to teacher ratio and enrichment classes.

I would like to pay no more than $250k for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, fairly new home. Community is key to me, so looking for areas that have good amenities, close to shopping and public areas, family oriented and fairly low crime.

As I will be attending GSU, less than half hour commute will be nice.

Can anyone suggest any areas that I should be focusing on? At the moment, I am considering Lithonia and Stockbridge but that's only based on internet searching. Any advice would be appreciated, you can post online or e-mail me at taheera7@yahoo.com.

Thanks in Advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2006, 09:48 AM

722 posts, read 3,316,455 times
try Fayette county. Houses are relatively affordable, it's pretty populated but not to the point of being crowded, and there are plenty of great private schools within a 15 mile vicinity.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:51 AM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
597 posts, read 2,081,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bermygirl View Post
I am planning on relocating to Atlanta from Bermuda in 2008, when my son is 5 and ready for elementary school and also so that I can go back to school, Georgia State University.

I am visting next week, November 11 - 14, to take a look at different areas. I am looking for an area with good schools, private included. The school should have a good-sized black population, student to teacher ratio and enrichment classes.

I would like to pay no more than $250k for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, fairly new home. Community is key to me, so looking for areas that have good amenities, close to shopping and public areas, family oriented and fairly low crime.

Can anyone suggest any areas that I should be focusing on? At the moment, I am considering Lithonia and Stockbridge but that's only based on internet searching. Any advice would be appreciated, you can post online or e-mail me at taheera7@yahoo.com.

Thanks in Advance!!
The majority of Lithonia is predominantly African-American.Stonecrest is the main mall as well as many other shopping stores in the area.I really can't tell you a status of crime.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:56 AM

64 posts, read 710,185 times
Lithonia is bad for crime. Most predominately black areas are pretty bad for gang violence and crime. Stonecrest mall is nice but gangbangers are starting to pollute that area as well.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:03 PM

9 posts, read 39,468 times
Quote:

Hi Bermygirl,

You will probably have a hard time getting to GSU from Stockbridge and especially Lithonia in less than 30 minutes. Traffic is terrible, especially coming into town from I-85 (Lithonia).

I'm sure you will be able to find a nice home and location for the price you are willing to spend but look for something a little closer in.

Old 11-05-2006, 02:57 PM

3 posts, read 12,086 times
Default Any suggestions then?

If Stockbridge is too far for half hour commute, any recommendations?

Old 11-05-2006, 03:22 PM

628 posts, read 695,644 times
Quote:
If Stockbridge is too far for half hour commute, any recommendations?
Move to Midtown---Big bucks! Near the college.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,976 times
Smile moving to Georgia

I'am an AAF, looking to move from Memphis to Georgia. I am miserable in memphis and so are my 2 daughters. I considered Columbus, but from the looks of the pics, it seems to be too small and drab looking (not enough excitement). I also looked at Agusta. After reading all the thread about Atlanta I know I don't want go go there. Can anyone give me insight on cities in ga that are suburban, not too small 150k + population, mixed or equal in race. I hope I am not asking too much, but can any one help?

Old 11-07-2006, 12:05 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
lindbriel~

I'm an AAM transplant from California (by way of Colorado). The ATL is a big metro area with a lot more to do than Memphis. But as a big city, it's more expensive than Memphis, Charlotte, Nashville, Houston, etc.

Basically, most African Americans live on the south side of the metro area. And since I don't have to explain to you that Black doesn't equal crime, you'll find that there are many largely Black areas that will be just fine. Now I'm a native Californian, I don't believe in self-segregation, so when we moved here, we moved to the north suburbs. It's mostly White, but not exclusively White. So Marietta, Roswell, Duluth would be good picks. Even Alpharetta is becoming a little more diverse. But it's expensive, so the lack of affordability won't be encouraging much more diversity anytime soon. That's the intent ... for now anyway.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:37 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
lindbriel~

I don't have to explain to you that Black doesn't equal crime, you'll find that there are many largely Black areas that will be just fine.

----------------------------------------------------------------
It might be a good idea to spell out the specific neighborhoods in Atlanta that are mostly to all black but do not equal crime, then. For many newcomers (and even some of us who have been here many years), it's awfully hard to find out where these low crime mostly black areas are. That is unless you're talking about some pretty high-end suburban communities that have grown that are predominately black - but many of the residents there moved out of the inner city area to escape the crime areas as well.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I'm a native Californian, I don't believe in self-segregation, so when we moved here, we moved to the north suburbs. It's mostly White, but not exclusively White. So Marietta, Roswell, Duluth would be good picks. Even Alpharetta is becoming a little more diverse. But it's expensive, so the lack of affordability won't be encouraging much more diversity anytime soon. That's the intent ... for now anyway.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I applaud you for not falling into the self-segregation category. Many blacks do that when they move here. They have to find a home in a black neighborhood, and make every aspect of their lives revolve around their skin color. White do it, gay, hispanic.. etc.. people here tend to try to find pockets of people who look just like them to work, play, and live around. Boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta