Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 11:05 PM

6 posts, read 8,015 times

Advertisements

So, I'm new to Decatur. I moved in around August to some roommates who have lived here for a number of years. They haven't really experienced anything bad or terrible in this general vicinity. Right now we're in the 30032 area code near the intersection of Columbia and Memorial, (to give you a clearer sense of where we are in Decatur).

Over the last couple of months, about once a week / every two weeks, we've been hearing a loud, dissonant banging noise. The best way to describe it would be a distant firework... or a gun being shot off. The actual noise only happens onceduring the night, sometimes twice, but that's it. There's no ambulance or police noise heard afterwards or anything like that. The direction of the sound is in the opposite direction of East Atlanta and downtown Decatur, (so what I assume would be deeper into DeKalb county). If you go further down Columbia away from downtown Decatur, that area seems to gets super sketchy starting at a half mile up and further, which has led to my speculation that it's gunshots from crimes happening.

So, I'm posting this to talk with other residents in this general vicinity to either a) glean some knowledge on what that may be, or b) know what we're talking about and may be able to shed some light.

We live on a quiet street that doesn't get much general or foot traffic, so we haven't had problems with crime. Obviously, for me, if I'm hearing a dissonant gunshot (or firework!) I'd like to know that somebody else may know what I'm talking about and either confirm or deny my fear.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 02:52 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Oh, you live in an area south of the City of Decatur in an area of unincorporated Decatur that is affectionately known as "THE DECK".

One would like to think that those are fireworks that you are hearing....But knowing where you live at, those probably are not fireworks that you keep hearing.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:04 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
Before they tore it down, we lived right next to a seedy apartment complex. They lit off quite a few fireworks up there. And literally every single time someone set off a firework, someone would jump on our neighborhood Facebook page and say "Oh my god...more gunshots!!!" Somehow I don't think there were 3-5 episodes of gunshots every week without some sort of police response. No amount of "No, those were fireworks....again" could calm these people down.

Just reflecting upon a story...I don't know about your situation. If it's frequent enough and you never hear sirens, I would assume it's fireworks.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:28 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Could be coming from a quarry.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:48 AM

711 posts, read 682,632 times
I moved to the same area of 30032 last summer near the intersection of Candler and Memorial in the White Oak Hills neighborhood and hear those fireworks/gunshots, too; especially over the last couple of months with all the holidays. Sometimes your gut tells you that it's nothing but fireworks. Other times, you know they're gunshots but probably nothing with criminal intent because I look at the police incident reports and can't find any police responses or reported injuries.

Is there anyone with more insight on what's going on with this area? This neighborhood is "transitional," and there's a 10-year-old house that just sold for just under $500k, but it's a few doors down from a shack that's barely worth $40k. There's a lot of newer construction (10 years or less), but it doesn't look like much new has been built since 2007. Why did this area take off, and what would it take to get it going again? I'm renting a 5BR Craftsman I'd be interested in buying from my landlord if I could feel like this area will take off again. It's not Oakhurst, but I'll take what I can afford.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:19 PM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Ill take gunshots for the win, Alex.

Old 01-11-2015, 12:21 PM

446 posts, read 678,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Oh, you live in an area south of the City of Decatur in an area of unincorporated Decatur that is affectionately known as "THE DECK".

One would like to think that those are fireworks that you are hearing....But knowing where you live at, those probably are not fireworks that you keep hearing.
The DEC not Deck

Old 01-11-2015, 12:23 PM

446 posts, read 678,110 times
if your're afraid could always move out or ask the neighbors if they think those are fireworks or gunshots

Old 01-11-2015, 02:18 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,460 times
Join your neighborhood group on Facebook or Nextdoor. Every time I hear something, by the time I load it on my phone someone else has already asked about it.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:41 PM

278 posts, read 1,109,404 times
Sometimes dump trucks/ trash trudks sound loud and gun shot like. Do you live near where a trash truck works near a apt complex or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta