Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 07:23 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times

Advertisements

I did a forum search and the most recent thread on visiting Atlanta was in 2012. Things can change in a couple of years.

I am in the very early planning stages of a trip to Atlanta and D.C. In all likelihood, it will either be the first week of May or the first week of September. I haven't fully rounded out what I will be doing in Atlanta, but here is what I'd like to see:

*I will definitely be attending a game or two at Turner Field.
*I would like to visit the Martin Luther King, Jr Historical Site.
*I would love to see a plantation.

I'm not really an art museum fan, but love historical museums and all things history-maybe visiting the Margaret Mitchell House will inspire me to finally read "Gone with the Wind." Outside of history, is the CityPass a good way to go-it looks like it's the highlight reel of Atlanta. What else would you, as locals, consider to be "must see" attractions. What about Stone Mountain?

The games I'm looking at going to are night games so that doesn't really have an impact on sight-seeing. With that said, should 3 days be sufficient, or would 4 be better? I'm fortunate in that I have some flexibility in how long of a vacation I can take. I've been a Braves fan since the late 80's so seeing them play at Turner Field is marking an item off the bucket list. But since I'm flying across the country to do so, I want to make the most of the trip.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 07:59 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
I would include Stone Mountain. It's 10 bucks to park for the entire day per car. They have a lot of attractions that cost more but getting in the park allows you to see a lot of great scenery and hike to the top which gives a nice view of Atlanta. Every visitor I have is taken there and they love it. I know they have an antebellum house somewhere. Not sure if there's a charge to see it.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:00 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,785,358 times
Welcome. You really only need to rent a car for a few days. You can use our subway called Marta for most of your vacation. Get a hotel either in downtown or Midtown. You can take the train to/from the airport and your hotel, to the Braves game, etc. You will need it visit Stone Mountain/etc

Tell us more about yourself and we can point you in the right direction as far as nightlife, restaurants, festivals, etc. What weekend are you thinking about coming so I can recommend additional events?

Must see attractions: (General List)

Ponce City Market (Opening Spring)
Krog Street Market
Buckhead Atlanta Development
Atlantic Station
Piedmont Park
Walk the Eastside Trail
Hike Stone Mountain
MLK Memorial Site
Downtown (Several museums, CNN, etc)
Inman Park
Little 5 Points
Downtown Decatur
Avalon
Downtown Roswell
Topgolf Atlanta (Opening Spring)
Kennesaw Mountain

Last edited by afdinatl; 01-12-2015 at 08:09 PM..

Old 01-12-2015, 08:33 PM

744 posts, read 2,482,638 times
I am going to suggest visiting one of my favorite places , The Swan House . It is a lovely 1920's that is stunning to see and the gardens around it are just beautiful.It is also home of the Atlanta Historical Society , which has some interesting exhibits about Atlanta and Georgia.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:01 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go falcons View Post
I am going to suggest visiting one of my favorite places , The Swan House . It is a lovely 1920's that is stunning to see and the gardens around it are just beautiful.It is also home of the Atlanta Historical Society , which has some interesting exhibits about Atlanta and Georgia.
I second this!

Atlanta History Center

Old 01-12-2015, 09:39 PM

161 posts, read 219,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I second this!

Atlanta History Center
Third!

You should do Stone Mountain--sounds like you'll probably be in town when they are doing the Laser Show. Every visitor I've ever taken has loved it--it's a very unique Atlanta experience.

If you are interested in Civil War history (since you mentioned Margaret Mitchell) Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield coupled with a trip to the Museum of Civil War and Locomotive History would be worth looking into. If it's more the literature aspect that appeals to you, Joel Chandler Harris home, The Wren's Nest is a unique place.

Atlanta Botanical Gardens

Fernbank Museum of Natural History

Carlos Museum at Emory University (also a lovely part of town to drive around. You could add downtown Decatur and Your Dekalb Farmers Market and have an awesome 1/2 day!

I've yet to visit the new civil rights museum, but I hear it's great.

Four days would be better than 3, if you really want to get a feel for the city. And unless you really love shopping or live some place severely lacking in retail, I would NOT waste my time in Atlanta shopping. If that's your thing, though, there's plenty of it.

Last edited by chimama1; 01-12-2015 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 01-12-2015, 09:41 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,315,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I second this!

Atlanta History Center
And I will "third" it. The Atlanta History Center is a really valuable resource and a pleasure to visit.

I might also suggest the Fernbank Natural History museum, if you enjoy dinosaurs and such (and, if you're here on a Friday night and enjoy jazz, martinis and IMAX).

Old 01-12-2015, 09:49 PM

924 posts, read 1,456,274 times
The Georgia Aquarium and World of Coke are both great and basically next to each other. The new College Football Hall of Fame is also there if that is something you would be interested in.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:59 PM
bu2

24,102 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
I did a forum search and the most recent thread on visiting Atlanta was in 2012. Things can change in a couple of years.

I am in the very early planning stages of a trip to Atlanta and D.C. In all likelihood, it will either be the first week of May or the first week of September. I haven't fully rounded out what I will be doing in Atlanta, but here is what I'd like to see:

*I will definitely be attending a game or two at Turner Field.
*I would like to visit the Martin Luther King, Jr Historical Site.
*I would love to see a plantation.

I'm not really an art museum fan, but love historical museums and all things history-maybe visiting the Margaret Mitchell House will inspire me to finally read "Gone with the Wind." Outside of history, is the CityPass a good way to go-it looks like it's the highlight reel of Atlanta. What else would you, as locals, consider to be "must see" attractions. What about Stone Mountain?

The games I'm looking at going to are night games so that doesn't really have an impact on sight-seeing. With that said, should 3 days be sufficient, or would 4 be better? I'm fortunate in that I have some flexibility in how long of a vacation I can take. I've been a Braves fan since the late 80's so seeing them play at Turner Field is marking an item off the bucket list. But since I'm flying across the country to do so, I want to make the most of the trip.

Thanks!
Make sure you visit the boyhood home of MLK. Its a few short blocks from the museum. The guide who is there most frequently is pretty entertaining. You have to reserve the tour of the boyhood home, so if you are short of time make sure to take care of getting on the list first (don't know if you can call ahead or not, but you might try).

Old 01-13-2015, 06:23 AM

1,236 posts, read 1,399,496 times
Make sure you visit Papi's Cuban Restaurant on Ponce de Leon, and get one of those mango milkshakes; (just be sure to tell them not to make it too sweet) I always order the fried talapia, black beans and rice, and plantain as my meal. YUM. And score a red velvet cupcake from Cami Cakes. Okay, my mouth is watering......gotta go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta