Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 12:03 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,197,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Possible but for example, if Whole Foods opened at Stonecrest. It would be possible to get customers from Dekalb, Rockdale, Henry, Newton and possibly Clayton which would be a semi closer drive to their store vs going to Midtown/Buckhead location. Same for Sprouts.

Walmart is certainly taking over Dekalb with their numerous Neighborhood Markets that have opened in the last year or so.
The average black person is not going to spend $5 a pound for broccoli at Whole Foods versus $.99 a pound at Wal-Mart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 12:30 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,252,223 times
I do think south Dekalb could support a Whole Foods. Whole Foods is actually experimenting with putting their stores in economically depressed areas. They opened one in Detroit which has been a success and are about to open one in a poor area in Chicago as well.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2014/11/whole_foods_to_open_in_poor_ch.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Every area of every city can't have Whole foods, etc. You have to have poorer areas for poorer people.

I used to live in PG County and it's just as bad as Dekalb. Let PG natives tell it PG is crime free, has wonderful schools, no carjackings, etc. They do a good job trying to hide their ratchetness lol. They love saying "PG is the riches black county in the country" I call it the most expensive ghetto in the country
I'm not a PG County native, but the two counties can't be comparied. PG County is double the size of Dekalb county and has everything from upper middle class areas to the ghetto.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:53 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,372,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
I do think south Dekalb could support a Whole Foods. Whole Foods is actually experimenting with putting their stores in economically depressed areas. They opened one in Detroit which has been a success and are about to open one in a poor area in Chicago as well.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2014/11/whole_foods_to_open_in_poor_ch.html

I'm not a PG County native, but the two counties can't be comparied. PG County is double the size of Dekalb county and has everything from upper middle class areas to the ghetto.

Not trying to be smart but size is primarily determined by population. The two counties are relatively close in population. DeKalb has 720,000 and Prince George's has 890,000. The two can, and often are, compared. DeKalb also has upper income to low income areas.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:58 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,994,443 times
Quote:
The average black person is not going to spend $5 a pound for broccoli at Whole Foods versus $.99 a pound at Wal-Mart.
Just for the record, the average white person doesn't do that, either

Something else to consider is even if there is a pocket of population that will spend that kind of money, retailers look at overall area demographics as well and avoid areas where they think they will have security and theft problems. I heard that one of the reasons Target shut down the Gwinnett Place location was because they lost so much money to theft.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:01 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,679,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post

In my life's travels I have realized one consistent thing: black people come in a mixed bag. Problem is, the crap at the bottom of the bag (about 35% and growing) can stink up the whole bag.

Years ago (before the housing crash) Ebony magazine had a cover story entitled The Riches Black county/suburb (Princes George). I was somewhat skeptical. Today, if ones goes to any blog or even City data for PG info., you will find several comments on the ghetto schools, ghetto culture, ghetto this, ghetto that.

Why is this?? at the root: culture. You see, the mixed bag and the stink at the bottom (if you will) will overtake the good because the current day culture is weak; has no strength; or sustainable fundamental principles.

While there are perscriptions to the growing problem (culture and the breakdown of the family) I seriously doubt they can implemented.

There is a way however, to curb this single mother plague and the cultural filth (example: Dej Loaf, etc. etc).........but I will leave that unsaid....

Old 01-14-2015, 01:52 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,252,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
Not trying to be smart but size is primarily determined by population. The two counties are relatively close in population. DeKalb has 720,000 and Prince George's has 890,000. The two can, and often are, compared. DeKalb also has upper income to low income areas.
My point is you can't lump the county all into one bag. This is part of the reason North Dekalb has been pushing to break off from South Dekalb. PG is no different. The good parts get thrown in with the bad because they are in the same county, even though the good areas are quite a drive distance away from the bad areas.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:52 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,098,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Black people just don't patronize stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's in large numbers. Walmart's largest growing customer base is black people.

I agree here. Once Walmart opened off Turner Hill, Target became a ghost town.

I think atleast a Trader Joes might do decent around there as people with more wealth are wising up and taking better care of their health and starting to leave McDonalds and much of the other trash alone.

Philly cheese steak, mcdonalds, popeyes, wings shop, and little ceasers as a dinner option daily is a early grave and there is no shortage of those from Redan, Covington, Wesley Chapel, Memorial, and more.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:06 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,373,797 times
Trader Joes looks for a demographic of majority people with College Degrees and median income of 65K.

Want nice things - start recruiting people with those demos to your area. And make sure your friends and neighbors lift themselves up to fit those demos too.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:13 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,098,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
Trader Joes looks for a demographic of majority people with College Degrees and median income of 65K.

Want nice things - start recruiting people with those demos to your area. And make sure your friends and neighbors lift themselves up to fit those demos too.

I agree, but Stonecrest has potential to be much better and there is alot of nice neighborhoods within 10-15 minutes of the mall area. I think the issue is, if it doesnt support the flight model, it wont be as much investment in the area. Memorial Drive packed up and moved to the 78 and when the flight moved to the 124 area, businesses on the 78 started to close.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:12 PM

426 posts, read 2,318,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I agree, but Stonecrest has potential to be much better and there is alot of nice neighborhoods within 10-15 minutes of the mall area. I think the issue is, if it doesnt support the flight model, it wont be as much investment in the area. Memorial Drive packed up and moved to the 78 and when the flight moved to the 124 area, businesses on the 78 started to close.
It's like the black middle class keeps running but keeps getting followed. The issue is middle class and upper class blacks don't understand the importance of zoning to keep property value stable and many don't want to feel racist by having things changed to prevent or discourage working class blacks from moving in. It's not racist, it's classist but I think that is looked down upon more in the black community too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta