U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 06:07 AM

2,009 posts, read 2,146,880 times

Advertisements

The ignorance on this thread is *astounding*. Especially AcidSnake's ridiculous post.

Here's a news flash, the black middle class is an endangered species. A fact that some of you 'experts' giving advice on what steps the 'black middle class' should take seem to not have the first clue about.

Blacks have the lowest median/average household income out of any ethnic group in the USA. It is roughly *half* that of asian americans and (List of ethnic groups in the United States by household income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) even native americans have a higher household income.

Fully 1/4 of black households make less than $15k/yr, (http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0104552.html) so this middle (or even upper) black middle class you guys are talking about doesn't wield the most influence as a economic group among blacks as a group. They probably have their hands quite full maintaining their own economic status in the current financial climate (where their wealth is falling)... much less trying to buttress the socioeconomic status of an entire segment of the population.

Just maybe the main problem with black part of Dekalb is the abysmal economic opportunity. This is the main difference between there and an area like PG county where public sector jobs abound and the unemployment rate is 5.9% (still not great) compared to 7.7% for Dekalb Co
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 07:42 AM

1,158 posts, read 2,316,460 times
I don't care about upper class, middle class, and lower class. I have an issue with culture class.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:00 AM

2,511 posts, read 1,624,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
The ignorance on this thread is *astounding*. Especially AcidSnake's ridiculous post.

Here's a news flash, the black middle class is an endangered species. A fact that some of you 'experts' giving advice on what steps the 'black middle class' should take seem to not have the first clue about.

Blacks have the lowest median/average household income out of any ethnic group in the USA. It is roughly *half* that of asian americans and (List of ethnic groups in the United States by household income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) even native americans have a higher household income.

Fully 1/4 of black households make less than $15k/yr, (Distribution of Household Income by Race) so this middle (or even upper) black middle class you guys are talking about doesn't wield the most influence as a economic group among blacks as a group. They probably have their hands quite full maintaining their own economic status in the current financial climate (where their wealth is falling)... much less trying to buttress the socioeconomic status of an entire segment of the population.

Just maybe the main problem with black part of Dekalb is the abysmal economic opportunity. This is the main difference between there and an area like PG county where public sector jobs abound and the unemployment rate is 5.9% (still not great) compared to 7.7% for Dekalb Co
Well, part of the reason why the black middle class households are endangered species economically is because the most recent recession hit black households the hardest, particularly black males. A number of other factors including employment discrimination amongst blacks, particularly (long-term) unemployed black males has accelerated the decline of the black middle class. Especially, in Dekalb County and until employment levels balance out we will continue to see this phenomenon.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:01 AM

3,521 posts, read 4,261,965 times
Okay.

I get that for whatever reason...people just don't like what I say. I get it.

But how about instead y'all engaging in troll baiting tactics with me....you debunk my argument reasonably and without the personal attacks? If I am wrong I am open to the discussion as to why I am. That's how we learn, grow and evolve as human beings.

Is that so hard to ask for?

Because I am so tired of getting booted off city-data for infractions...because some people here are too thin-skinned and weak-minded to engage in a polite debate without resorting to some ad hominem personal attack or another. And then they quickly run to the moderators when my retorts become too much for them to handle.

And then I get the shaft and my comments deleted, for a fight I never started in the first place.

I'm tired of that lazy intellectually, cowardice, hit & run-type of crap.

So let's try having a debate without the insults, eh? Sack up and let's talk it out.

I'm just sayin'....

Old 01-15-2015, 08:09 AM

4,422 posts, read 4,071,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Ah, reminds me of the days of when I first joined city-data many years ago... Back when I still had hope.

Economic Development in South Dekalb

Will gentrification ever happen in South Dekalb?

South Dekalb Improvement Plan

... ...

Wow, these same questions were being asked in 2008 too. I saw how Walmart leaving Welsy chapel messed up that corridor for years, since walmart helped put alot of stores out of business before it left and covington/panola plaza went down as well. At least both of these plazas have rebounded.

I can say the Covington/Hairston area I live in area was nice back then since most of the neighborhoods were about 4 yrs old near the Publix and the houses were going for $130K-200k. But after the recession and people getting letters that their same homes were now worth $40K-100K, people that didnt get foreclosed left since they were so upside down and the renters sky rocketed and the area went down big time. Its still decent, but will never be what it used to be: peaceful with almost no break ins.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:14 AM

23,433 posts, read 17,582,404 times
I am shocked at the comments on here. People are allowed to move and live wherever they want. There area areas that have always been staple, even as other areas have raised then fallen. We need to look at what makes those area as stable. I am shocked at how bad redan and stone mountain are compared to minority majority areas of Atlanta like Reynoldstown, East Atlanta, West End, and Edgewood.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:22 AM

4,369 posts, read 6,041,103 times
Saan, where was the Wal Mart on Wesley Chapel???

Old 01-15-2015, 08:42 AM

3,972 posts, read 11,068,859 times
Let me start, and be clear, that the residents of N. DeKalb have not been particularly wise in who they have elected to the DeKalb Board of Ed and County Commission, but neither have the residents of S. DeKalb. And currently, both these bodies are constructed in such a way that the majority of seats are held by folks who represent at least part of S. DeKalb. Until we ALL elected better people to both these boards, S. DeKalb is essentially doomed. And, for better or worse, the voters of S. DeKalb have the power here. It doesn't matter what dummy N. DeKalb elects, because the majority of power rests in S DeKalb.

And friends and family isn't ok. It isn't working and it is destroying DeKalb. It is one thing to hire "friends" that are competent and can do the job. That isn't what has been happening in DeKalb. And before anyone throws race into the discussion, know that it has been this way in DeKalb forever.

And therein lies the rub. For the most part, anyone who has school quality as a criteria for purchasing (or even renting) a home is going to be challenged to find a home that meets their criteria k-12. This lessens demand and thus lowers values.

The corruptions and ineptness that infect both DeKalb government and schools has had a chilling effect on the potential economic development of the area. No large entity that has options would choose to locate in DeKalb. (At the beginning of the recession, in an effort to save money, the DeKalb commission eliminated most of the economic dev dept -- brilliant, right?)

Whether or not the GM site would have been a better location for the Braves is certainly debatable but the reality is that the Braves management team didn't want to do business in DeKalb. (It is unlikely DeKalb could have financed the deal anyway, but note that the conversations never happened. )

There is a lot of the ostrich (head in the sand) syndrome that occurs among the citizen leaders in S. DeKalb. In part, these folks have generally managed to use school choice to avoid their neighborhood schools (I heard a 'leader' of the cityhood effort for Stonecrest comment about the quality of the schools, and I just shook my head in disbelieve) and are in denial (or just don't know) how much better things could be with a functional school system. They aren't nearly horrified enough about DeKalb's grad rates, etc, because it doesn't impact them directly.

Among the DeKalb delegation (the members of the state legislature who represent parts of DeKalb), there is a real need to keep the status quo as it employs to many of their constituents and enriches their political allies.

Until there is a real call for change from S. DeKalb residents, I don't think anything will change, at least not for the better.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:01 AM
fzx

384 posts, read 388,699 times
While the original post tries to find some bright spots, obviously not too many talk positively in the following threads. Let me give it a try,

To me, the shrinking middle class among the blacks has come hand-in-hand with the disappearance of manufacturing jobs and the weakening efforts among the unions since 1980s. With little emphasizing on education, high rate of single parent household and low saving rates, the effect lingers on for the second generation and probably the third. However, can it go worse from here? I do not think so as there is a mini boom on the manufacturing sector in general and the low bar we currently have.

However, I can find more negatively sides......

Old 01-15-2015, 09:03 AM

4,422 posts, read 4,071,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Saan, where was the Wal Mart on Wesley Chapel???
Yeah at Wesley Chapel and Hairston. Currently Planet Fitness, the dollar store and the closed college sits in its place. And it took years after walmart closed to put anything in its place.

The little giant farmers market used to be a ingles and that huge auto repair/car wash place closed right after walmart left and went to Panola. Kmart out of busniess as well that used to be across the road. I can see why people hate Walmart when they come in and put everyone out of business then move elsewhere. There was even a Target on Covington Hwy by 285 in the 90's. The east side used to be nice even after the white flight in the 90's. Its from 2000 onwards is when alot of business started to up and leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or