Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 09:44 AM

4,684 posts, read 6,103,247 times

Advertisements

South and SE Dekalb was considered the 2nd richest black area in the nation behind Prince Georges County MD and DC for a while and while there is still alot of wealth in parts of Lithonia, Decatur, and Stone Mountain, it seems like I have to go to the Northside of town for everything now.

-There is not a Wholefoods, Trader Joes, Frys, Microcenter, Ford Dealer or anything like that on the Eastside or South Dekalb. And even Target at Stonecrest is closing this month. Dollar Generals, Family Dollars, and used tires shops seems to be what is popping up everywhere.

-Want a nice restaurant to go to, outside of a few at Stonecrest, you better prepare for a 20-25 min drive to anywhere other than South Dekalb more than likely downtown or on the northern perimeter.

-There seems to be no plans for transit for the East side. 285 is horrible every morning from Covington Hwy to 400 and from 400 to HWY 78 is the evening, but all future transit or traffic plans only help the north side by connecting Cumberland to Doraville, with not even a thought of maybe connecting Indian Creek to the northside, even if BRT was a thought, without having to through downtown. Rail to Stonecrest would be a 15yr+ dream.

-Schools south of the 78 seem to suck, just just judging by all I hear about them with the exceptions of 1 or 2.

-Property values are awful now for the same area with the same schools from 2008 prior, yet Northern Dekalb's values seem to be rising way faster.

- Every area north of the 78 is now trying to start their own city to separate itself from everyone, yet every thing in the book was done to stop the city of Stonecrest from forming in the past and now talks of a City of South Dekalb, which would just be a huge city of all the problems I just listed above, plus alot fo the crime in S DeKalb

So is there any hope for South Dekalb in the future, or will it just be the future place where renters run to now that want a house for rent instead of a apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 10:07 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,685,010 times
I agree with you about the various shopping options in the area. You have to head to S. Gwinnett or the northside for numerous stores.

The Target at Stonecrest could easily turn in a Whole Foods. Same for the old Publix in Conyers being turned into a Sprouts or Trader Joes.

That's one reason, I moved from the east side of town. The drive on 20 and 285 is exhausting.

South Dekalb seems to be in a major rut due to how much housing prices have fallen over the years.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:24 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,769,484 times
It's exactly the same way in PG County but they don't like admitting to it lol but to answer your question no

Old 01-14-2015, 10:34 AM

Every area of every city can't have Whole foods, etc. You have to have poorer areas for poorer people.

I used to live in PG County and it's just as bad as Dekalb. Let PG natives tell it PG is crime free, has wonderful schools, no carjackings, etc. They do a good job trying to hide their ratchetness lol. They love saying "PG is the riches black county in the country" I call it the most expensive ghetto in the country

Old 01-14-2015, 10:37 AM

4,684 posts, read 6,103,247 times
Some positives of the area can be 20-25 mins from the airport, 20 minutes into downtown, and a MARTA rail line 5-15 minute away depending on where you live, and Stonecrest is not bad.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:39 AM

426 posts, read 2,318,786 times
South Dekalb is just one of those ok places where people who, as you mentioned, want to rent a house can live. I don't see any issue with having an area like this in Metro Atlanta and think they're needed so they give everyone an overall better quality of life. Crime is not rampant everywhere, mostly in the apartment complexes and it varies from pocket to pocket and neighborhood to neighborhood.

Even though there are middle class to upper class residents there, they are just not in large enough numbers and do not support to a high enough degree more upscale retailers. South Dekalb's biggest obstacle is the heterogeneous socioeconomic make up of most areas. The northside separates itself as affluent a lot more and as such retailers probably feel more comfortable that they'll actually be able to turn a profit up there.

Convenience is nice but I think when people move to South Dekalb but could afford to live in a better area, with more conveniences, and better schools, understand the sacrifices they are making and are moving for reasons beyond what I just mentioned. I don't see the area changing for what you might perceive as the better anytime soon, especially because of the shift away from living in far out traffic addled areas.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:00 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,295,352 times
South DeKalb will likely be a gentrification opportunity if the black middle class(or what's left of it) doesn't get its act to together.

I'm already seeing a few gentrifiers in these infill homes around the Ronald E. McNair Learning Academy area. Let the property values get even lower and I can definitely see the start of a reverse middle and upper income flight back to these areas.

The black babyboomers have made some huge mistakes in trying to live an upper class lifestyle on a lower-middle class budget.

Too many folks took off from my parent's neighborhood only to find themselves crushed not once but twice by the busts(first being the new millennium dot-com bust and then the 2008 subprime mortagage meltdown).

And those profligate habits have spilled over to the next generation, my generation.

I see far too many people who graduated from K-12 in the mid-to-late 1990s like myself, but are still struggling financially...when that 30s age range should be a time of income-stability and settling-down.

Unless a collective epiphany in the community takes place, gentrification will definitely be South DeKalb's future. The Northern part can only get so congested before the opportunity vultures start looking south of I-20.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 01-14-2015 at 12:01 PM..

Old 01-14-2015, 11:05 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,200,958 times
Black people just don't patronize stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's in large numbers. Walmart's largest growing customer base is black people.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:21 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,685,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Black people just don't patronize stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's in large numbers. Walmart's largest growing customer base is black people.
Possible but for example, if Whole Foods opened at Stonecrest. It would be possible to get customers from Dekalb, Rockdale, Henry, Newton and possibly Clayton which would be a semi closer drive to their store vs going to Midtown/Buckhead location. Same for Sprouts.

Walmart is certainly taking over Dekalb with their numerous Neighborhood Markets that have opened in the last year or so.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCora019528
Possible but for example, if Whole Foods opened at Stonecrest. It would be possible to get customers from Dekalb, Rockdale, Henry, Newton and possibly Clayton which would be a semi closer drive to their store vs going to Midtown/Buckhead location. Same for Sprouts.

Walmart is certainly taking over Dekalb with their numerous Neighborhood Markets that have opened in the last year or so.
Black folks in Atlanta aren't trying to eat that healthy generally speaking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta