Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 11:50 AM

16 posts, read 26,121 times

Advertisements

We have just purchased a house in East Cobb (Charrington Subdivision). We will be moving in May from California. I have heard that swim team for the kids is a really big deal once they get out of school. I was hoping to have my kids out there to meet others in the neighborhood.
Does anyone know anything about this? I've heard that you don't necessarily have to be a great swimmer and that it's more of a social thing. My kids are 6 and 8 and I'd love for them to meet some kids before they start a new school. I'm seeting competitive swim team info on the internet so I thought I'd come here first.
Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 03:23 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,976,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diananhancock View Post
We have just purchased a house in East Cobb (Charrington Subdivision). We will be moving in May from California. I have heard that swim team for the kids is a really big deal once they get out of school. I was hoping to have my kids out there to meet others in the neighborhood.
Does anyone know anything about this? I've heard that you don't necessarily have to be a great swimmer and that it's more of a social thing. My kids are 6 and 8 and I'd love for them to meet some kids before they start a new school. I'm seeting competitive swim team info on the internet so I thought I'd come here first.
Thanks for the help.
Yes, you are on the right track. Competitive swim team is different from summer league. You want summer league. First is contact your subdivision (homeowners board or whatever) to find out if your subdivision has an active swim team. If it doesn't, ask them for nearby communities that will allow outsiders to join their swim team. I am not an east cobb expert, but my kids swim with a similar community team in Buckhead and compete against some east Cobb teams. Practice for us starts in April ( I think??). And it seems like we start getting emails in February or March. The entire season runs from Memorial Day to the end of June, culminating in the Guinness Book of World Record's largest swim meet -- our city finals the last week of June. The whole thing is tons of fun, family/team parties, slide shows of pics, lifelong friendships forming etc. highly recommend. My child learned to swim through summer league and I'm at this very moment at her competitive league practice watching her do flip turns. Your kids will learn a lot and you all will make friends.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:17 PM

That's great news. Thanks so much. I do know that we do not have a swim team. I believe a neighbor told me that they joined Bishops Green Subdivision. My issue is we aren't moving until end of May so not sure if they will be able to join. I agree that it will be a great way to make friends. I hope we can make it happen. I will contact bishops green and see what they say.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:48 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,976,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diananhancock View Post
That's great news. Thanks so much. I do know that we do not have a swim team. I believe a neighbor told me that they joined Bishops Green Subdivision. My issue is we aren't moving until end of May so not sure if they will be able to join. I agree that it will be a great way to make friends. I hope we can make it happen. I will contact bishops green and see what they say.
It shouldn't be a problem. If Bishops Green is full or something, you could call some other neighborhoods that people on here will suggest. You could sign them up for a couple swim lessons where you are if you want to hit the pool swimming in late May when you get here.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:30 PM

5 posts, read 17,740 times
In East Cobb summer swim teams don't typically start until the week before school finishes - and we finish May 21st. The season runs til the end of June as mentioned. Swim teams don't typically 'get full' although the very young ages usually have cut offs because of rules for the coaches / kids ratio in the pool. Loads of kids do a week, miss a week for summer camp or similar and then just hop back in. They are pretty casual but fun and fill a nice portion of the morning during the long hot summer days. Good luck with the move. We moved here over summer from overseas 3 years ago (after swim team finished) and it was a long hot slog with no friends. Your timing appears to be perfect! We live not far from Charrington (I have played tennis there from time to time) just a bit further down Johnson Ferry and around the corner, let me know if I can help in any way with any questions.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:39 AM

Hi Nmoff-

I love that you say long hot slog. My kids are 6 and 8 and they are not used to humidity and heat at all. I was going to sign them up for High Meadows which is a 3 week camp outdoors in July and I had to rethink that plan. I hear great things about the camp but I'm not so sure my kids would fare so well being fresh off the boat so to speak. Let me know if you have any thoughts about camps or summer activities.
Thanks.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:50 PM

30 posts, read 41,419 times
High Meadows is so awesome. I can't say enough good things about it. My kids have gone there for years and love it. Kids are very adaptable. I would think they would do fine. The kids swim every day. They drink constantly to stay hydrated and there is lots of shade. They will be missing out on so much fun if they don't go. One of mine will be a CIT there this summer and has been attending the camp since he was 7. He has a great time with his High Meadows friends. They are from all over Atlanta but keep in touch all year long.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:40 PM

Thanks Tess4. I was also looking at the King Fisher camp at Chattahootchie nature preserve. Any thoughts on that one?

Old 02-21-2015, 06:54 PM

30 posts, read 41,419 times
I have heard of Kingfisher but have no experience with it. We live quite far from the area. The High Meadows bus service is what makes that area possible for us for camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: