Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 09:31 PM

6,502 posts, read 6,091,474 times

Advertisements

Braves: Public funding of stadium serves public purpose | www.ajc.com
Quote:
Attorneys for the Atlanta Braves say the use of taxpayer-backed bonds to pay for construction of professional sports stadiums is nationally recognized as a legitimate use of public funds, and the millions of dollars in profit the team will reap does not make public funding unconstitutional.

That’s according to a brief the team’s lawyers filed with the Georgia Supreme Court Thursday.

The county’s plan to issue up to $397 million in bonds to pay the public share of constructing SunTrust Park has been appealed by three citizens to the state’s high court, which has set a Feb. 3 hearing on the issue.

The government’s “ability to issue bonds for recreational purposes is broad and well-settled,” the Braves’ brief says. “In the 20th and 21st centuries, financing and constructing sports stadiums and related facilities has repeatedly been held to be a public purpose.

“Opponents of stadium bond financing often point to private benefits in an attempt to undermine the public purpose — and ultimately the constitutionality — of the bonds that have been used. Courts have routinely rejected those arguments because the existence of private benefits is not dispositive — in fact, it is expected.”
Quote:
The agreement also says the county will raise property taxes countywide to pay off the debt, if necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 09:38 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,864,506 times
Serves a 'public purpose,' my ass.

I wish Time-Warner had never sold the Braves to these yahoos from Colorado.

I really do feel bad for the taxpayers of Cobb County.

Edit: I would feel differently if residents had had a choice in this, but as I see it this was basically rammed down their throats.

Last edited by JMatl; 01-15-2015 at 10:22 PM..

Old 01-16-2015, 06:24 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,821,085 times
"is nationally recognized as a legitimate use of public funds"

It's kinda nationally recognized as a misuse of public funds, particularly when your constituents are not given the change to vote on the issue. Just because it's happening elsewhere does not make it a "good" thing.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:50 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,774,258 times
It's nationally recognized because these multi billion dollar, privately owned sports teams can hire the best lobbyist to convince lawmakers to believe this BS.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:25 AM

46 posts, read 59,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Serves a 'public purpose,' my ass.

I wish Time-Warner had never sold the Braves to these yahoos from Colorado.
Don't worry. Once they've finishing properly fleecing Cobb and the stadium is built they will start looking for a buyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: