Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 08:11 PM

32,000 posts, read 36,621,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
We would all be much safer, and healthier too, probably, if we neither used cell phones nor ate, while driving.
You nailed it, ChessieMom.

When people are driving, they need to concentrate on that. Not yakking on the phone, eating cheeseburgers, or putting on makeup.

When you are behind the wheel you are responsible for two tons of hurtling steel that can kill or maim in an instant. How could someone live with themselves knowing that their cheeseburger gobbling had destroyed an innocent person's life? Good on Cobb for protecting lives.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 08:20 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,767,398 times
I got pulled over in Douglasville for correctly doing a U turn at a light and was told U turns are illegal in Douglasville city limits. What BS.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:01 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,841,150 times
it doesn't matter what we think. the fact of the matter is that eating while driving is not against the law, and you can't ticket someone for it (except by a stretch of other vague ordinances). if they decide to pass a law prohibiting it, i guess i would be OK with it, but if it's not a law you can't just pull a rule out of your ass because you don't like what someone's doing.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:16 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,939,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I agree with this.

Eating can be just as distracting as texting. I have seen way too many people weaving down the road with a hamburger stuck in their face.

Cobb police ticket Alabama man for eating while driving
I'm in total agreement with you on this.

I've seen this story posted on a few different news profiles on Facebook and I'm amazed at the amount of people that actually think this is okay and the police were nitpicking. Pretty sure most of those people that are on the Alabama man's side are those paranoid the government is out to get them.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:53 AM

1,236 posts, read 1,393,737 times
Well, I'm an admitted member of the eat and drive club.

Eat and drive for beginners: Eating a sandwich while driving
Intermediate: Eating a salad while driving
Intermediate advance: Eating an entire three course meal while driving an automatic or stick shift.
Advanced: Eating a bowl of cereal or cup of soup while driving a 5 speed on surface streets.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but this is often how my life goes. Never been pulled over.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:27 AM

371 posts, read 454,833 times
Yeah I have a horrible long commute. I normally eat on the way to work and on the way back home, because I am prone to fainting and could pass out if my blood sugar dips too low. I drive perfectly safe while eating. Even when NOT eating, it's not like I drive with 2 hands on the steering wheel. I just don't. One-hander all the way. So how does it make a difference if my non-driving hand happens to be holding a granola bar? **********.

I'm much more likely to cause an accident if I pass out at the wheel, so..

Old 01-20-2015, 09:08 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,357,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
All that said was eating increases reaction time the most. If they're really gonna go after distracted driving, they need to ban phone calls or at least require hands free. I've been in so many cars with people so engrossed in their conversations that they lose track of their speed or start moving back and forth in the lane.
Should we also ban conversations with passengers, too? Require all cars to have an isolated sound-proof booth for the driver? How is conversing on a cell phone hands-free different than conversing with someone in the car? It isn't the conversation that's distracting (for most people anyway). It's looking down to find the number and place the call. Or ... worse ... respond to a text message.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuiOui View Post
Yeah I have a horrible long commute. I normally eat on the way to work and on the way back home, because I am prone to fainting and could pass out if my blood sugar dips too low. I drive perfectly safe while eating. Even when NOT eating, it's not like I drive with 2 hands on the steering wheel. I just don't. One-hander all the way. So how does it make a difference if my non-driving hand happens to be holding a granola bar? **********.

I'm much more likely to cause an accident if I pass out at the wheel, so..
Anything that takes attention plus one hand and arm away from the task at hand -- which is driving -- is dangerous.

Just pull over for a minute and grab a bite, and then when you are stable get back on the road.

It's like so many things people THINK they can do while driving a car. In fact, they can't, at least not without endangering others.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:57 AM

371 posts, read 454,833 times
Then I drive "dangerously" all the time, when I'm NOT eating, because I never drive with both hands on the wheel. Also, chewing a granola bar doesn't take my attention from the road. And if you knew my commute, you'd know that pulling over then trying to get back on is simply impossible.

When police stop operating their laptops and walkies while driving, maybe I'll consider changing my habits. I've almost been rear-ended by a cop who was staring at his computer screen while accelerating. Oh, but that's ok?

Old 01-20-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
How is conversing on a cell phone hands-free different than conversing with someone in the car? It isn't the conversation that's distracting (for most people anyway). It's looking down to find the number and place the call. Or ... worse ... respond to a text message.
Well, if you are hands-free at least you have both arms and hands free to devote to the task at hand, namely, piloting your two tons of metal through a crowded area. Personally I'd be okay with banning all cell phone use while operating a moving vehicle. Until about 15 years ago we got along just fine that way.

I agree that it's bad business to look down for a number while moving, and much worse to respond to a text.

At 60 mph you cover half the length of a football field in 1.7 seconds.

Just about time to glance down at your Whopper and take a bite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: