Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2015, 03:10 PM

78 posts, read 131,613 times

Advertisements

Georgia

Georgia’s unemployment rate drops to 6.9 percent

Georgia’s unemployment rate fell to 6.9 percent in December from 7.2 percent in November, as holiday hiring kicked into overdrive, the state labor department said Thursday.

“This was the first time in eight years that we’ve had job growth in December,” state labor commissioner Mark Butler said in a statement. Holiday hiring is usually done by then.

But employers added 900 jobs from November to December, bringing Georgia’s total to 4,196,400 — the highest level since the beginning of the Great Recession in December 2007.

Retail trade, warehousing and transportation, which are industries associated with holiday hiring, accounted for virtually all of the job growth, the labor department said.

Over the past year, Georgia added 108,200 jobs, which pushed down the unemployment rate from 7.4 percent in December 2013.

“We ended the year with our rate dropping below 7 percent for the first time since last April,” Butler said. “I’m especially pleased that we had very strong 2.7 percent over-the year job growth, which gave us our largest December-to-December growth since 1999.”

The key growth sectors were professional and business services, leisure and hospitality, construction, and trade and transportation.

Georgia still has a long way to go to catch up with the recovery nationally. The U.S. unemployment rate was 5.6 percent in December.

Employers here are still laying off a lot of workers, at least temporarily.

There were 57,510 new claims for unemployment insurance filed in December — an increase of 102 percent from November. Of that number, 48.5 percent were temporary claims filed mostly in textile manufacturing and construction due to seasonal layoffs. Additional temporary claims for benefits were filed in administrative and support services, and accommodations and food services.

Over the past year, however, new claims for unemployment insurance were down by 12.7 percent from December 2013. Most of that decline came in manufacturing and construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 03:11 PM

78 posts, read 131,613 times
I think the economy lagged when compared to other cities but it's really picking up now. By the end of 2015 I am hoping the unemployment rate will go down in to the 5s..

Old 01-22-2015, 03:23 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Wonder what metro Atlanta's rate is. Last I checked, it was 6.5% in November.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:37 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,156 times
It's funny how Georgia's state rate has a hard time coming down despite all the recent announcements. Metro Atlanta has a large distortion on Georgia's economic condition. It is only now in full recovery mode. I would bet it demonstrates that the rural southern half of the state still has such high unemployment that Atlanta's beginning recovery and job creation hasn't been felt by the state as a whole.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:20 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
It's funny how Georgia's state rate has a hard time coming down despite all the recent announcements. Metro Atlanta has a large distortion on Georgia's economic condition. It is only now in full recovery mode. I would bet it demonstrates that the rural southern half of the state still has such high unemployment that Atlanta's beginning recovery and job creation hasn't been felt by the state as a whole.

Yeah, I hear the rural areas aren't doing so well (including areas up north). I'm still glad to hear the good news though and hope job growth will exceed everyone's expectations and eventually lead to wage gains because I'm pretty sure most of us could use a raise.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:40 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,560,265 times
BLS has an interactive map showing unemployment by county. The counties with the highest unemployment are no doubt rural, but some rural counties, such as Miller, Oglethorpe, and Union, also have the lowest rates.

Map

Old 01-23-2015, 07:00 AM

3,707 posts, read 5,982,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Wonder what metro Atlanta's rate is. Last I checked, it was 6.5% in November.
Metro Atlanta's unemployment rate for December will be released next Thursday. Note that metro unemployment rates aren't seasonally adjusted while state unemployment rates are; next week the non-seasonally adjusted unemployment rate for Georgia will be released, and it will likely be a good bit lower than 6.9%. During Christmas, employers hire lots of temporary workers and it pushes the unemployment rate down; most of them have lost their jobs by now.

Far more important than unemployment rates are the year-over-year job growth numbers, which can be found in this report:

http://www.dol.state.ga.us/pdf/pr/nonag_msa.pdf

Georgia added 104,000 jobs over last December; 65,000 of which are in Atlanta metro. These are GOOD numbers. 2,514,000 jobs in the Atlanta metro area is the highest total ever. This is the number to watch.

This chart shows the total number of jobs over the last few years, but doesn't yet have the latest month's data:

http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/SMU13...a_tool=XGtable

Unemployment rates are affected by lots of different factors: how many workers who are out of work are actually seeking work (which can jump up in the event that the economy improves and workers get the impression there is hope of actually landing a job), how many people are entering and exiting the workforce due to demographic reasons, and workers are merely counted as "employed" or "unemployed" even if they take on two jobs. The "payroll" survey of employers instead looks at how many aggregate jobs there are across the economy, and is a more accurate picture of how large and robust a labor market is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: