Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 03:54 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,046,590 times

Advertisements

Neighborhood is of course huge but its a lot deeper than that. Vancouver, like many west coast cities are much more expensive, different culture, amazing scenery (Mountains, Ocean), awesome waterfront park. Its very different and lots of things drive the price. The AVERAGE single family home in all of Vancouver fetches over a million dollars and it appears in the top 3 on lists of the most expensive lists. Of course it has already been ranked the top city in North America to live in too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Well much of it is the neighborhood.

If you saw an episode that was centered on Buckhead or Ansley Park, you'd find the the $1 milllion+ price tags hard to stomach.

Even Virginia Highland is out of reach for most.

Take a look at Zillow.com in Vancouver and you will find plenty of more affordable areas.

I also think the Love it or List it episodes are centered on more expensive areas where doing an expensive re-model of a house makes financial sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 04:12 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,360,940 times
I really like "fashionable Northeast Atlanta", but the real estate for the most part is out of reach to everyone except the wealthy or at least the upper/ upper/ upper middle-class. (Remember in America the middle-class seems to stretch from families making $30,000 a year to those making $500,000 a year) I guess we all want to be middle-class. ;0)

Old 01-23-2015, 04:21 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Its nothing like Vancouver. Vancouver is dense like NYC, just smaller and lower.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:32 PM

187 posts, read 280,541 times
Vancouver--

You mean this:

Love it....

cheers...

Old 01-23-2015, 04:50 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
I understand. I like our existing architecture much better than Vancouvers.

I will say this, however, Vancouver's highrises are largely residential towers. The units themselves are far better and more livable with all of the balconies they offer. I also suspect that building style is cheaper top build, compared to a nicer looking building like the Atlantic or Twelve. Even then... the look of Twelve isn't too far off.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:22 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Its nothing like Vancouver. Vancouver is dense like NYC, just smaller and lower.
With the amount of construction going on and the number of buildings filling in the spaces between the really tall ones, it is indeed getting denser. It is not talking about the city as a whole, only the "skyline" from downtown to Midtown along the Peachtree spine.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:28 PM

779 posts, read 1,009,979 times
I'm very excited to see more density in Atlanta. For a long time I thought the population of Atlanta was much higher based on the metro size. Then I googled it and was amazed at the population of Atlanta vs. Atlanta metro. The growth of Midtown, I think, will make people start moving in even more from the suburbs. Midtown much more charming than downtown... and way more walkable.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:50 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
I'm very excited to see more density in Atlanta. For a long time I thought the population of Atlanta was much higher based on the metro size. Then I googled it and was amazed at the population of Atlanta vs. Atlanta metro. The growth of Midtown, I think, will make people start moving in even more from the suburbs. Midtown much more charming than downtown... and way more walkable.
Midtown is certainly leading the charge for density in the core, but I'd argue downtown is the more charming of the two. It still has the city's most impressive supply of pre-war buildings and the most urban infrastructure. If it starts getting some infill like Midtown, it's definitely going to be Atlanta's showcase district.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:12 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,275,952 times
Wait, Atlanta is getting green roofs with mature trees? Oh but if only. Would be nice. Might cool off Hotlanta even.

Quite a curious article. 'Slowly' is about the only thing they might have nailed! ATL and Vancouver are polar opposites. I love both cities but their skyline will never look similar. Vancouver aesthetically is remarkable. Between Stanley Park, UBC, the mountains, the ocean, watching the sea planes, the 21st century way they made downtown dense...It might rival Savannah as one of my favorite cities for cool aesthetics that also translate into comfort and livability. Though yes the residential towers are mid-20th century looking but functional as kimbro notes.

Now ATL, is like the opposite of Vancouver. I do hope it grows more dense and vertical because that is efficient and sustainable but also because it creates and urban environment which many enjoy living in and gives lots of opportunities for work, leisure, and dining in a given area.
Quote:
The growth of Midtown, I think, will make people start moving in even more from the suburbs.
Ah yes, exactly, great! ATL has a lot potential because of this. Younger people really like living in Atlanta. It really is the capital of the south. Food scene is amazing. I think it is getting an influx of permanent residents, more than most other cities actually, it is really experience a growth in residents, it feels like. (am I right in this feeling?) Maybe the next Census will really illuminate that trend if it is happening.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:20 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,018 times
F Vancouver. Atlanta is trying to be a better Atlanta and not F Vancooner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta