Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2015, 09:11 AM

4 posts, read 3,908 times

Advertisements

Couple will be working part time for now near 10th and Hemphill Ave downtown and in Alpharetta. Would like to live close to downtown, but not in the hood. Willing to commute. suggestions? Also, looking for full time customer service employment. Experience in online marketing, music engineering, hotel front desk and apartment home leasing. All help is appreciated.

Last edited by alaiyo; 01-25-2015 at 09:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 09:19 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,770,199 times
The train (MARTA) does not go to Alpharetta so that will not be an option.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:31 AM

Thanks a bunch. Good to know.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:12 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,818,726 times
As the lorilove said, the train does not go to Alpharetta but there may be bus service to some parts of it. I am not altogether clear if it stops in Roswell or continues into Alpharetta. You should probably plan to have to drive into Alpharetta.

Based on what you said, I'd look into Sandy Springs. It's not far from downtown, and some of the apartments are affordable, you'd have good access to public transit, and you would not be that far from Alpharetta. You could do a ParknRide for the train to downtown. Depending on how the work schedules go, one could take the bus home and the other drive the car to Alpharetta. The major point I'm trying to make is that Sandy Springs seems like the best location to allow public transit while not putting you too far from Alpharetta at a decent price.

Chamblee and Doraville could work as well and have good prices, but I think the commute to Alpharetta would be worse. I'd recommend Roswell if I had a friend who tried to use the Express Bus to get to Dunwoody, and it was somewhat unreliable.

Consider signing up for a 6 month lease (even though it will cost more) so you can take a moment to figure out exactly where you'll both be working full time. Try to find an all electric place because the gas bills can be ridiculouly high.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:02 AM

1,236 posts, read 1,398,184 times
My first thought is.... get full time employment before you come unless you have a serious savings account or outside help to supplement your income until you do; I CANNOT stress this enough. Atlanta's job market is not friendly at the moment, especially to those who don't have a skilled/college profession, and even those people have struggled!

I currently live here in Cary, but am from Atlanta, and will be moving back later this year. I will be doing an internal transfer with my current employer, and later starting my own business so I won't have to task of looking for full time employment, and thank God!

Wow, jobs in both downtown and Alpharetta aren't exactly convenient geographically. They are on opposite ends of the Atlanta metro area; downtown being to the south, and Alpharetta way north. I guess the Sandy Springs suggestion was a good one, as you can hop onto 400 and go in either direction. Dunwoody, which borders Sandy Springs, also fits this need as well. I notice everyone's talking about MARTA, but you said you're will to commute, so I was under the impression that you wouldn't need to take to train, but had a car? Anyway....

Again, have your finances IN. PLACE. Pleeeaaaase! Good luck.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:46 PM

Thank you. Looking in the Dunwoody/Sandy Springs area as we speak. Finance is not an issue. Everyone's advice has been greatly appreciated and taken heed.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:02 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times
Kirkwood, Reynoldstown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta