U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 11:59 AM

209 posts, read 211,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmereEsquire View Post
I should really ask, how long before this is live and we can sign up?
I wish it would be up tomorrow. I'm guessing the first areas will get it in a year, and it will be two to three years for it to spread to everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 12:06 PM

329 posts, read 523,065 times
i hope our subdivision is part of the scope that Google considers as Brookhaven...

Old 01-27-2015, 12:09 PM

209 posts, read 211,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince217 View Post
i hope our subdivision is part of the scope that Google considers as Brookhaven...
Pretty soon they should roll out preregistration for Fiber. Make sure you get your address into their demand system.

Also, Fiber isn't going to be limited to the 9 listed cities forever. In Kansas City, the fiber network has expanded to include more suburbs, so if you're on the fringes, don't give up hope!

Old 01-27-2015, 12:32 PM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,028,738 times
Wouldn't it be lovely if we got this at the same time that Park Atlanta is kicked to the curb? Comcast and Park Atlanta. Neither one is worth a damn.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:50 PM

23,254 posts, read 17,451,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Wouldn't it be lovely if we got this at the same time that Park Atlanta is kicked to the curb? Comcast and Park Atlanta. Neither one is worth a damn.
Follow the parking regulations and ParkAtlanta is nothing to worry about. But yeah, Comcast sucks.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:02 PM

363 posts, read 308,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Follow the parking regulations and ParkAtlanta is nothing to worry about. But yeah, Comcast sucks.
Amen, I park all over Atlanta and never had a parking ticket. Some people feel they should be able to park for free/improperly with no recourse

Old 01-27-2015, 01:15 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,131,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
As was said, nothing is free.

I may be paranoid, but I'd be wary of putting every bit of my internet traffic in the hands of a company that is in the business of collecting data on customers. And then selling that data.
No offense, but you're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind the curve. There is very little that companies do no already know about your browsing habits. What isn't already stored an accessed in your web browser cookies is cached and stored by your internet service provider in case an interested party (like law enforcement) wants to take a peek.

You also have it backwards. Google isn't selling your data... that would be extremely short sighted. Google keeps your data, pools it with all the other data they have on everyone else and sells access to you to companies (targeted ads, etc)

All that aside, I am willing to bet that the vast majority of us would GLADLY trade the current level of "privacy" (read: little or none) for a little less privacy if it means getting out from under the thumb of Comcast/Charter/Verizon/etc.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:17 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,131,930 times
Also, why the hell aren't Norcross or Alpharetta getting google Fiber?

Old 01-27-2015, 01:39 PM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,028,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Follow the parking regulations and ParkAtlanta is nothing to worry about.
False. Park Atlanta will hang out at places where the signage is improper and set up ticket traps (namely, across the street from Pure Taqueria in Inman Park, which had conflicting signage during the construction of the new complex over there).

Old 01-27-2015, 03:44 PM

6,561 posts, read 7,641,569 times
It is interesting to me that Google seems to going heavy into Southern cities. All of this is really just in 3 states: Georgia, Tennessee, and North Carolina.

I suspect the regulatory and mostly suburban build of the cities are making these idea learning markets for a rather new branch of the company that still has much to learn on how to build the network in different environments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or