U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 10:43 PM

5,169 posts, read 3,444,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Good Riddance Comcast. Yay!
I work from home, and Comcast was dropping my VPN constantly - in spurts. There would be weeks at a time with no issues, and then just unreal periods of several days in a row of off and on.

I switched to U-Verse, and have not had one interruption in two years.

I'm fortunate to live in a neighborhood that BellSouth laid fiber in before the Olympics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 11:11 PM

787 posts, read 689,395 times
No Fiber in the Cascade area

Old 01-28-2015, 01:07 AM

8,269 posts, read 10,204,708 times
Quote:
My guess is that Roswell and Alpharetta get it a couple years after the other cities
Does it work that way?

I mean, once the initial cities are wired, will Google take a second look and expand further in the metro, or will they say, "Atlanta's done!" and move on to the next city?

Old 01-28-2015, 05:18 AM

68 posts, read 69,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Does it work that way?

I mean, once the initial cities are wired, will Google take a second look and expand further in the metro, or will they say, "Atlanta's done!" and move on to the next city?
My understanding is that they expand based on demand. So, if enough people from Roswell are pinging them to show interest, at that point they will consider expanding. You have to live in a "Fiberhood" - meaning that it makes sense for them to spend the money to connect that neighborhood to their fiber optic network. So...get your neighbors on board and start showing interest!

Old 01-28-2015, 05:46 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,130,568 times
I wouldn't gamble on Roswell getting it anytime soon. Comcast is buying off your local elected officials with the overage fees they are charging you....and it very much seems that the Comcast has the mayor or Roswell, Jere Wood, in his pocket.

From Exclusive: politicians are supporting Comcast's TWC merger with letters ghostwritten by Comcast | The Verge

Quote:
On August 21st, 2014, Mayor Jere Wood of Roswell, Georgia, sent a letter to the Federal Communications Commission expressing emphatic support for Comcast’s controversial effort to merge with Time Warner Cable. Not only did the mayor’s letter express personal excitement for the gargantuan deal — which critics say will create a monopoly that will harm millions of consumers — but it also claimed that the entire town of Roswell adored Comcast. "When Comcast makes a promise to act, it is comforting to know that they will always follow through," Wood's letter explained. "This is the type of attitude that makes Roswell proud to be involved with such a company," the letter asserts, "our residents are happy with the services it has provided and continues to provide each day.”

Yet Wood’s letter made one key omission: Neither Wood nor anyone representing Roswell’s residents wrote his letter to the FCC. Instead, a vice president of external affairs at Comcast authored the missive word for word in Mayor Wood's voice. According to email correspondence obtained through a public records request, the Republican mayor’s office apparently added one sign-off sentence and his signature to the corporate PR document, then sent it to federal regulators on the official letterhead of Roswell, Georgia.
This might explain why some other metro areas are conspicuously absent (like Alpharetta). This also explains why its so important for competitors to enter this market.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:54 AM

4,197 posts, read 3,561,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I work from home, and Comcast was dropping my VPN constantly - in spurts. There would be weeks at a time with no issues, and then just unreal periods of several days in a row of off and on.

I switched to U-Verse, and have not had one interruption in two years.

I'm fortunate to live in a neighborhood that BellSouth laid fiber in before the Olympics.
Good for you , I was forced to choose Comcast because of where I live and hate it. It took them one year to issue my refund back and the wait time for customer service is lousy.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:17 AM

253 posts, read 226,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TARS View Post
My understanding is that they expand based on demand. So, if enough people from Roswell are pinging them to show interest, at that point they will consider expanding. You have to live in a "Fiberhood" - meaning that it makes sense for them to spend the money to connect that neighborhood to their fiber optic network. So...get your neighbors on board and start showing interest!

How big are "Fiberhoods"? I live in Vine City, so if a Fiber Hood is "my street" then I`m screwed, but my proximity to Tech, Dome, AUC, etc It would make sense for me to get service. My Address is of course good, but the "Fiberhood" stuff worries me

Old 01-28-2015, 07:21 AM

9,110 posts, read 17,047,857 times
Here are the Fiberhoods for Austin, so you get a idea of the size.

https://fiber.google.com/cities/austin/fiberhoods/

Old 01-28-2015, 07:24 AM

10,477 posts, read 7,464,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmereEsquire View Post
How big are "Fiberhoods"? I live in Vine City, so if a Fiber Hood is "my street" then I`m screwed, but my proximity to Tech, Dome, AUC, etc It would make sense for me to get service. My Address is of course good, but the "Fiberhood" stuff worries me
Look at how they have it broken out in KC: https://fiber.google.com/cities/kansascity/

It varies, but most "fiberhoods" seem to consist of at least a few blocks and some stretch for a few square miles. They are probably broken out by a combination of neighborhood boundaries but also utility layout.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:54 AM

253 posts, read 226,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Look at how they have it broken out in KC: https://fiber.google.com/cities/kansascity/

It varies, but most "fiberhoods" seem to consist of at least a few blocks and some stretch for a few square miles. They are probably broken out by a combination of neighborhood boundaries but also utility layout.

In KC they seem huge, compared to Austin. I guess there is no telling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or