Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 08:13 AM

12 posts, read 20,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmereEsquire View Post
In KC they seem huge, compared to Austin. I guess there is no telling
Thats because the Austin fiberhoods that they are building out right now are apartments. So one or 2 apartments could hold a lot of households which could easily be considered a fiberhood. The more spread out the homes are, the larger the space has to be.

To the answer about whether it can come to Roswell, that all depends on how successful it in in Atlanta. After a few years in Kansas City, they're opening it up to the people in the suburbs. So give it some time, I say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 08:51 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,701 times
For the people that keep asking why East Point gets fiber before Alpharetta - not all business decisions revolve around your spending power. If you've paid attention to Google's statements on this, they say it is about democratizing the internet, and getting everyone connected - it's not about profit from you using their service. They wouldn't have a "free" tier, if this was about that sort of profit. They are building out a nationwide network. To what end I don't know - and while I may regret saying this - plug me right on into the Borg - I'm good with that!

Below is level 3's Fiber backbone maps - I suspect level 3 is the ultimate carrier of choice, based on it's hubs:

First the Eastern Seaboard View - notice how the hubs interconnect and where the trunks are to reach other places.

Next is the drill down to Atlanta - the reason places were chosen is because they are either within the hub itself or on a direct trunkline to elsewhere. (Pardon my scrawl - I couldn't get my more professional program to launch). My guess would be further expansion would go up along those trunklines. Sorry Alpharetta - maybe there's hope in that little Sandy Springs loop.
Attached Thumbnails
Google Fiber Announcement Tomorrow?-level-3-east-coast-map.jpg   Google Fiber Announcement Tomorrow?-level3_atlanta.jpg  

Old 01-28-2015, 09:06 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,871,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
For the people that keep asking why East Point gets fiber before Alpharetta - not all business decisions revolve around your spending power. If you've paid attention to Google's statements on this, they say it is about democratizing the internet, and getting everyone connected - it's not about profit from you using their service. They wouldn't have a "free" tier, if this was about that sort of profit. They are building out a nationwide network. To what end I don't know - and while I may regret saying this - plug me right on into the Borg - I'm good with that!

Below is level 3's Fiber backbone maps - I suspect level 3 is the ultimate carrier of choice, based on it's hubs:

First the Eastern Seaboard View - notice how the hubs interconnect and where the trunks are to reach other places.

Next is the drill down to Atlanta - the reason places were chosen is because they are either within the hub itself or on a direct trunkline to elsewhere. (Pardon my scrawl - I couldn't get my more professional program to launch). My guess would be further expansion would go up along those trunklines. Sorry Alpharetta - maybe there's hope in that little Sandy Springs loop.
Good post. Also I am sure income is not the strongest correlation to likely Google Fiber customers. Especially considering they have the free service tier. I bet it tends strongly towards a younger demographic.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:42 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,996,996 times
"Free" is $300 construction fee For minimum, of 7 years from the service address.

Construction fee waved if you get High Speed or High Speed/TV service.

Last edited by flyonpa; 01-28-2015 at 09:50 AM..

Old 01-28-2015, 10:08 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
No Fiber in the Cascade area
What? Now that is down right interesting considering the wealth and the demographic makeup of the area. As soon as I get situated back into the city proper I will start bugging AT&T about their fiber in that area.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:37 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,033,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post

Heh, still doesn't explain why Norcross gets no love. Maybe I should try ringing up the mayor's office.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:50 AM

12 posts, read 20,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Heh, still doesn't explain why Norcross gets no love. Maybe I should try ringing up the mayor's office.
Norcross is a little farther out than most of the cities theyre installing in.
They'll expand outward, give it some time.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:55 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,707,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
What? Now that is down right interesting considering the wealth and the demographic makeup of the area. As soon as I get situated back into the city proper I will start bugging AT&T about their fiber in that area.
Most of Cascade is not in the city of Atlanta limits so its not suprising, they might be left out this round.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:59 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
It has nothing to do with the mayor. It is Google's business decision. I wouldn't be surprised if Norcross got some love the next time around especially if they consider bringing Greenville on line - but as of right now - it's not on the way to anyplace Google is looking to be at the moment.

Actually that is something I find intriguing about Google Fever - all sorts of places wants to be linked up, without understanding that there are very measured decisions of topology, topography, backbone carriers - all sorts of other stuff that goes into planning a rational rollout of physical cable connectivity.

if you look at the backbone map - it makes perfect sense to me why Google started rolling out in the way they did, what the Cities they started were, how they are expanding. The Southern expansion is key, because your biggest physical hump is the Appalachians in order to move into connecting the northern Cities. Kinda like the railroad. (which the fiber trunks essentially follow anyway).

When you look at a rail map (https://www.dot.ga.gov/travelinginge...ap-2013-14.pdf)

You notice there is no rail through Alpharetta either. I don't know if that has to do with topography or what.

I would guess any suburban expansion after rollout would probably hit Norcross, Stone Mountain, Forest park, Union City, Douglasville, and Marietta - with preference given to those Cities already on the connected trunks.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:28 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,829,722 times
The discussions with the towns they are launching in started many months ago. As early as Feburary of 2014 towns were already submitting materials to Google. There has been considerable "prep work" done by these cities to show that they were going to be able to work with Google to handle installation of fiber efficiently. Google has a strong preference for cities that commit to allowing things like permitting and tree disturbance to be "fast tracked" for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta