Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 10:07 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,759,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Drop Ceiling helps control the noise levels,
A Open ceiling does not absorb the noise it let is bounce around making a it a very loud and distracting place to work,
Its a generational gap in this argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 06:29 AM

4,411 posts, read 3,435,687 times
As a female entrepreneur this raises my hackles.

Not that there isn't truth to the access to capital thing, but frankly that has a lot to do with women simply not feeling comfortable asking for money (I'm not one of them :-)

And yes, E&Y said 6M jobs could be added if women got more capital. Etc Etc

But the truth is I'm so damn tired of women being carved out as a subset that needs some sort of special attention or service. I can play with the boys (and while not in tech, I am in a somewhat male-centered industry and 20 years ago in one job, I wasn't taken seriously and relegated to being the dept party planner.)

I believe that this "female incubator" thing only serves to promote the idea of women as less capable (which in many careers -- like being an NFL linebacker, we would be) and that's not necessarily the case.

I've asked for and acquired more loans than my dear husband, I'll tell you that.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:19 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,996,781 times
Thanks, wasel, I totally agree with what you just said. Of course, as a man, I can't say it, but I've seen plenty of women tech entrepreneurs who are doing just fine without having a girls club to retreat back to for an office. But, whatever, if they want to have it, what do I care?

But back to the ceiling. You can have a proper ceiling without having an ugly drop ceiling like in a cheap basement renovation. I don't know construction, but I've seen plenty of beautiful ceilings that aren't drop ceilings. In fact, this whole idea of exposed ductwork and sprinkler pipes is new, in the last 20 years or so.

It's the biggest hoodwink in history. Builders save tons of money not having to finish the job, and the tenants get to feel like they are in a cool urban loft. It's kind of like milk and tea. The only reason the Brits drink milk in tea is because tea used to be so expensive, so they had to dilute it. In fact, it used to be a sign of your class....the more milk you had to add to your tea, the lower class you were. The wealthy, who could afford tea, never added milk.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:18 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,759,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Thanks, wasel, I totally agree with what you just said. Of course, as a man, I can't say it, but I've seen plenty of women tech entrepreneurs who are doing just fine without having a girls club to retreat back to for an office. But, whatever, if they want to have it, what do I care?

But back to the ceiling. You can have a proper ceiling without having an ugly drop ceiling like in a cheap basement renovation. I don't know construction, but I've seen plenty of beautiful ceilings that aren't drop ceilings. In fact, this whole idea of exposed ductwork and sprinkler pipes is new, in the last 20 years or so.

It's the biggest hoodwink in history. Builders save tons of money not having to finish the job, and the tenants get to feel like they are in a cool urban loft. It's kind of like milk and tea. The only reason the Brits drink milk in tea is because tea used to be so expensive, so they had to dilute it. In fact, it used to be a sign of your class....the more milk you had to add to your tea, the lower class you were. The wealthy, who could afford tea, never added milk.
Thanks for the history lesson, learn something new everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: