Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 08:39 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
It won't literally border the river, as the property is separated from it by Riverside Drive. Not knit-picking, just pointing out that they couldn't cut down trees next to the river if they wanted. The land between this project an the river is already park space.
OK, thanks for that info. I like to be corrected if I state something inaccurate. I interpreted the following sentence in the description to mean that it was closer to the river than that. I guess it's typical salesman embellishment.

Quote from the article:
Sloan said he will use “abundant” Georgia plants native to the state to create a landscape in the property. Just under half the site will be left open, and 12 percent will be dedicated to nature preserve, largely to the south, near the river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 09:30 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,125 times
Its hard to comment on the plan because the renderingsseem to be fluffy nonsense. Even ignoring that, the pond is a horrible idea. There is a pond in the residential development already and I am not sure if/how they keep it filled because the "pond" in Martin's Landing just 1.5 miles away is usually a dry dirt pit.

I spent about 7 years living ~2 miles down Riverside/Eves/Holcomb Br from the proposed site. Traffic in the area sucks and locals often take Riverside to avoid crossing GA400 via Holcomb Br. Riverside itself is bumper to bumper for a mile every work day headed west approaching Hwy 9

A proposal like this would be another step towards turning the east side (east of GA400) of Holcomb Bridge into the west side of Holcomb Br... a horribly zoned, garish, congested stretch of road which exacerbates many of the issues already present.

The rendering did't show any parking. There isn't a ton of room with the river (and a big hill) immediately to the south and Martin's landing immediately to the east.

I'd have to see a lot more detail before getting enthused over more commercial space on Holcomb Br Rd.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:55 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,248,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
OK, thanks for that info. I like to be corrected if I state something inaccurate. I interpreted the following sentence in the description to mean that it was closer to the river than that. I guess it's typical salesman embellishment.

Quote from the article:
Sloan said he will use “abundant” Georgia plants native to the state to create a landscape in the property. Just under half the site will be left open, and 12 percent will be dedicated to nature preserve, largely to the south, near the river.
That's still pretty awesome. The area they are talking about currently is filled with pines, much unlike the untouched areas in river parks. So in a way it's even better.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:59 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,248,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post

I spent about 7 years living ~2 miles down Riverside/Eves/Holcomb Br from the proposed site. Traffic in the area sucks and locals often take Riverside to avoid crossing GA400 via Holcomb Br. Riverside itself is bumper to bumper for a mile every work day headed west approaching Hwy 9

A proposal like this would be another step towards turning the east side (east of GA400) of Holcomb Bridge into the west side of Holcomb Br... a horribly zoned, garish, congested stretch of road which exacerbates many of the issues already present.

I'd have to see a lot more detail before getting enthused over more commercial space on Holcomb Br Rd.
That area of 9 and the intersection is going to be improved in a few years. Riverside will actually go under a bridge at 9 so traffic will be completely different.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:13 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,059 times
I asked that about the pond earlier. I don't know how, but I know it's possible. Reston, Va. has had man-made lakes and ponds filled continuously since 1964.

Attached Thumbnails
First Renderings of Roswell Riverwalk-lake-anne.jpg  

Old 02-03-2015, 05:14 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,782,223 times
Pretty diverse group of people in those photos

Old 02-04-2015, 07:40 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,818,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
I think that basically boils down to PERSONAL OPINION, doesn't it? You stated you were from the coast, which to me means ocean. Perhaps to people who care about the beach and the ocean that is the only "water feature." To those of us who don't care about the ocean, Atlanta's (and Georgia's) dozens of rivers, creeks, streams, and runnels ARE it's water feature. You might think that an ocean is a necessity to have a "water feature," but I prefer rivers and creeks. Neither of us are "wrong" in our thinking. Mine and those who agree with me hold an opinion that is just as valid as yours and those who agree with you.
What are you talking about? You aren't even the one who said that some people say Atlanta lacks water features. That was demonta4. Rivers, creeks, and stream are par for the course as far as I'm concerned and not necessarily a water feature. Of course, it's my opinion; that's why I stated it. I'm not campaigning for votes so I'm not all that concerned that your opinion is different from mine. I'm also not clear why you are cap locks concerned that mine is different from yours as to what constitutes a water feature.

I complemented the renderings because they look nice. There is no denying that in my personal opinion. I simply said that in new words now that I don't consider something with the characteristics of a pool a water feature. Doesn't mean it's not a thing of beauty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta