Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 03:39 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Even if both islands are parks, it still needs policing. It doesn't make sense having disjointed pieces. There's no research needed for that conclusion.
I am saying there was a political hot-potato reason for the island from what remember.. .Not that the island is ok.

I think the island is shi++y.

Something about Alpharetta city already owning the park, but not wanting to give it up when the City of Milton was formed, I think. Or something similar to this...

Last edited by aries4118; 02-23-2015 at 04:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 03:44 PM
bu2

24,104 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I am saying there was a political hot-potato reason for the island from what remember.. .Not that the island is ok.

I think the island is sh!+ty.

Something about Alpharetta city already owning the park, but not wanting to give it up when the City of Milton was formed, I think. Or something similar to this...
South Fulton and some parts of Greenhaven (although not nearly as bad) are just ridiculous, mindless efforts to get everything into a city. All of Milton didn't need to be Milton when Alpharetta already had those tracts.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:32 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
South Fulton and some parts of Greenhaven (although not nearly as bad) are just ridiculous, mindless efforts to get everything into a city. All of Milton didn't need to be Milton when Alpharetta already had those tracts.

I totally agree.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:45 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,165,723 times
Georgia Unfiltered | Telling the Truth
Quote:
Two years ago, Democrats and Republicans were at each other's throats over legislation affecting Georgia's largest county -- Fulton County [Edwards and Wickert (31 March 2013). Battle for Fulton just beginning. Atlanta Journal Constitution. Retrieved on 21 February 2015.].

Republicans claimed Fulton County needed reform. Across the political aisle, Democrats accused the GOP of a not-so-veiled attempt to destroy Fulton County so that Milton County could rise again.

One comment from labor leader Greg Fann effectively summed up the Democrats' argument against the Fulton County reform legislation proposed by Republicans in 2013.
"You could not get Milton County,” county employees union President Greg Fann said, referring to a plan to form a separate county favored by some in the north. “Now you’re trying to destroy Fulton County”

Wickert (7 February 2013). Bills to shake up Fulton get hearing. Atlanta Journal Constitution. Retrieved on 21 February 2015.

As others have said before, though, time heals old wounds. And politics makes strange bedfellows.

Republicans and Democrats who were once at war over Fulton County are now singing "Kumbaya, my lord." Why? Because they both support creating the city of South Fulton.

Two bills, House Bill 165 and Senate Bill 140, are now pending under the Gold Dome. The legislation would create a new municipality in unincorporated south Fulton County aptly named the "City of South Fulton."

Listed among the sponsors of both House Bill 165 and Senate Bill 140 are two Republican legislators who have made no secret that they want to bring back Milton County.

"I am working diligently with my counterparts to re-create Milton County,” Senator John Albers (R - Roswell) said in a statement. “The creation of a smaller government will be more accountable to the residents and the remaining areas. North Fulton and South Fulton schools are also geographically split by a fragile Atlanta school system. Our students deserve better."

Albers is a co-sponsor of the bill to create the city of South Fulton in the Georgia Senate. Another Republican, state Representative Wendell Willard (R - Sandy Springs), is co-sponsoring the city of South Fulton bill in the Georgia House.

Rep. Willard, in 2013, introduced five bills (House Resolution 275, House Resolution 276, House Resolution 277, House Resolution 278, and House Resolution 279) to bring back Milton County. None of them passed.

State Senator Vincent Fort, an Atlanta Democrat, remains opposed to creating both Milton County and the city of South Fulton.

"This is part of a Republican war to decimate Fulton County,” Fort said. “[House Speaker Pro Tempore Jan] Jones has said her intent is to decimate Fulton County so much that no one will resist the need for Milton County."

Jan Jones, for her part, doesn't exactly deny it.

“We can cut Fulton County down to size until we get Milton County,” Jones said, according to Neighbor Newspapers. "My goal is that we reduce the thumbprint ... of Fulton County on your lives and your pocketbooks such that in a very few years, Atlanta and south Fulton will not fight us on re-creating Milton County because Fulton County will be insignificant" [Edwards (23 May 2012). Battle brewing over plans to shrink Fulton government. Atlanta Journal Constitution. Retrieved on 21 February 2015.].

The city of South Fulton, if created, would place all of Fulton County's residents under the control of local municipalities; effectively ending much of the power Fulton County government currently wields.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:17 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
I wonder which Georgia law overturning would make the citizens happy. If all municipal services provided by the county were to cease, what is left? The schools. If state law were changed that allowed city systems again (or co-run by cities) I could see all of North Fulton creating their own systems... or a combined city system of Sandy Springs, Roswell, Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Milton and Mountain Park (don't forget that last city...)

The desire to resurrect Milton is to have a separate school system. Perhaps the state should allow Atlanta city to merge with the south part of the county and let the area of Fulton north of the city have its own system. A compromise of sorts. If this were to happen, I doubt the desire to create a Milton County would be on anyone's mind.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:30 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I wonder which Georgia law overturning would make the citizens happy. If all municipal services provided by the county were to cease, what is left? The schools. If state law were changed that allowed city systems again (or co-run by cities) I could see all of North Fulton creating their own systems... or a combined city system of Sandy Springs, Roswell, Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Milton and Mountain Park (don't forget that last city...)

The desire to resurrect Milton is to have a separate school system. Perhaps the state should allow Atlanta city to merge with the south part of the county and let the area of Fulton north of the city have its own system. A compromise of sorts. If this were to happen, I doubt the desire to create a Milton County would be on anyone's mind.
They're pretty unhappy with the Fulton County government, its taxes and choices of spending priorities. I don't think the schools would be sufficient to change their minds about Fulton County. Their schools do ok in the north, pretty well north of Sandy Springs.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:32 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
I wonder which Georgia law overturning would make the citizens happy. If all municipal services provided by the county were to cease, what is left? The schools.
The county should continue to operate the courts.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:15 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
This is the plot the whole time behind the creation of these municipalities is to splice up the counties. Hence, why the majority of the people in th western and southern Fulton County voted against it.

I live in unincorporated Fulton County for a while now and all of my current and former neighbors are very much against the creation of a municipality. Some of them have said they will even primary (State Rep.) Bruce for even considering again something they don't want to send a point to the Democrats who cooperate with the North Fulton Republicans this attempt to sabotage the county government.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:38 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
They're pretty unhappy with the Fulton County government, its taxes and choices of spending priorities. I don't think the schools would be sufficient to change their minds about Fulton County. Their schools do ok in the north, pretty well north of Sandy Springs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The county should continue to operate the courts.
As you have probably read my comments on this before, that is all a county is really in the business of doing. Once the municipal services business is completely taken away.... if the whole county incorporates that is... what is really left for Fulton to do besides the courts? The school system..... If the northern residents had there own system, who cares anymore?

Old 02-24-2015, 10:04 AM
bu2

Quote:
As you have probably read my comments on this before, that is all a county is really in the business of doing. Once the municipal services business is completely taken away.... if the whole county incorporates that is... what is really left for Fulton to do besides the courts? The school system..... If the northern residents had there own system, who cares anymore?
There's that thief who collects taxes. He does it legally, of course. And there are a lot of things the county can do that some areas may not be interested in the county doing. Parks, libraries, hospitals, clinics, community centers. They can choose to do a lot of these things even if it is all incorporated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta