Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 10:49 AM

71 posts, read 111,950 times

Advertisements

I've been here since November 2013 but for most of that time I was house hunting and very stressed out. I finally closed on a home (which I love) at the end of April last year and brought my son down from NY. My son started school here in August and really enjoys it. I moved down here not knowing a single person or even having ever visited the city.

I still feel like something is missing. In fact I'm thinking that when my son is done with high school, I will probably pack up and move wherever he goes to college, or just leave the state, but I don't know where I would move to.

I guess I'm just sad that I like it here but don't LOVE it and it doesn't feel like Home. Sorry, not trying to bash ATL or anything..

We haven't really made any friends here, other than a few that I work with and rarely see, since everyone lives so far away, and they already knew people/had friends already living here... and this is the first place in my life that I've moved to and had no neighbors come over to introduce themselves. I had to walk up and introduce myself to them when I saw them outside drinking beers - and this was at least 3 months after we moved in. They told me they "meant to come say hi" but never did, and haven't bothered to since. One neighbor did tell me that it was really "cliquey" here and I guess she was right.

I guess it just feels lonely here, which is odd, considering that there's people everywhere.

Did anyone else feel like this when relocating here? Does it ever get better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 11:01 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,895,300 times
Lets back up..Why did you move here?

Old 02-01-2015, 11:06 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,306,013 times
I moved here right before 5th grade and it felt like home during the 7th grade. It takes time!!!!

I've never had a neighbor ring our doorbell. They have always walked up to us when we were doing yard work, walking the dog, bringing in groceries, etc. I wouldn't have walked up to them.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Lets back up..Why did you move here?
Sorry I didn't include this... I was in danger of being laid off if I stayed in NY. I make about $55K/year which was hard to replicate in NY if I quit and got another job, so I applied for a job here and got it. My company paid for (most of) the relocation.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I've never had a neighbor ring our doorbell. They have always walked up to us when we were doing yard work, walking the dog, bringing in groceries, etc. I wouldn't have walked up to them.
I know what you're saying Pinkmani.. they just really don't talk to us in general, I don't know why. And actually, that seems to only be in our neighborhood. In general, I found that people here are actually VERY nice, for the most part.. much friendlier than in NY.

Maybe the loneliness and having no friends here is starting to get to me, whereas earlier I was so busy with house hunting and training for my new job that I didn't even notice it..

It's just hard because this area was the one place I was actually hoping to make some friends, since the people I work with live all over the place and it's hard to spend time together outside of work.

Back in NY I had a lot of friends in my old neighborhood and we would hang out, have dinners together, get the kids together to play.. my neighbors were also my friends.. and things weren't so spread out. Here it's a much bigger city and I feel like people don't really get together as much.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:20 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,992,840 times
Sometimes you have to find a part of town where you fit in. I hated Smyrna/Marietta, but loved Buckhead. If you get a dog and go on regular walks, you meet everybody who has a dog. It's also easy to meet people in dog parks. Just depends what you are into, if you like punk music go hang out at the punk bar, etc. Because Atlanta has a lot of transplants, not every neighborhood is friendly.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:34 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,893,818 times
It takes time I been living in NY for a year and 6 months and outside the people I know it's been hard meeting people, even in the industry I work in. I meet folks but nothing consistent.

I still haven't fully committed to this whole NY lifestyle. Quality of life is just different.

But I'm hanging In there trying to full commit myself and I think you need to do the same. Give it about 3 years

Old 02-01-2015, 11:42 AM

13,976 posts, read 25,856,281 times
I think where you end up makes a big difference. Our neighborhood is very social. Our town has several groups (garden club, hiking club, volunteer opportunities, etc). We were invited to our first party before we had finished unpacking.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:45 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,895,300 times
Are you a college football fan? There are lots of alumni chapters here who get together for game watches, concerts, golfing, etc. You don't even have to be a graduate of the school, just a fan, and can meet dozens of people instantly

Old 02-01-2015, 11:53 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,328,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NB9540 View Post
I know what you're saying Pinkmani.. they just really don't talk to us in general, I don't know why. And actually, that seems to only be in our neighborhood. In general, I found that people here are actually VERY nice, for the most part.. much friendlier than in NY.

Maybe the loneliness and having no friends here is starting to get to me, whereas earlier I was so busy with house hunting and training for my new job that I didn't even notice it..

It's just hard because this area was the one place I was actually hoping to make some friends, since the people I work with live all over the place and it's hard to spend time together outside of work.

Back in NY I had a lot of friends in my old neighborhood and we would hang out, have dinners together, get the kids together to play.. my neighbors were also my friends.. and things weren't so spread out. Here it's a much bigger city and I feel like people don't really get together as much.
Can you include what area of town you moved to? What's your age and your son's age, and what is the rest of the neighborhood like? Are you a "New Yorker" type with the heavy accent and gruff, or are you a more "bro" type? There are a lot of reasons, so it would be good to know a little more about you and where you live.

For what it's worth, we bought our house in a neighborhood, and we only knew one guy down the street. Within two years, we had a whole gaggle of friends in the neighborhood that would come over for parties, would hang out at the pool, etc. I'd say at the high point, maybe 8-10 couples or singles. Almost all have moved on since. We even had parties where neighboring homes (town homes, so built together) would just open their garages and doors and the whole neighborhood was invited to come hang out...some of the best times. It's not like what you describe everywhere.

The only reason I don't feel like it's home is that we never intended to stay in this house for as long as we have, but the economy and housing market had other ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta