Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:37 PM

77 posts, read 208,467 times

Advertisements

In The Range Of 2oo,ooo To 250,ooo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 06:38 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,605,780 times
Right now -- none of them. I would, not in a million years, buy a home in a subdivision that wasn't completed -- perhaps you could buy one of the last homes to be built in a subdivision, and be ok.

The last real estate slow down saw builders regularly abandoning half finished projects and selling off the remaining land cheaply and the new owners built less expensive homes. There was a lot less development back then.

This time you really have to worry that a subdivision may not be built out. Definitely don't buy in one where the amentities package isn't complete unless that swim/tennis isn't really that important to you.

If you must have a new home, your safest bet is to buy one that is already completed in a neighborhood that is done or nearly done.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:02 AM

281 posts, read 1,051,629 times
I can tell you that DR Horton is managing their subdivisions in Atlanta very carefully. lastminutemom's statement was a bit broad, but almost on the money. This is a very volatile price range as the Atlanta inventory is flooded with houses in this price range. Go with a very large builder that has the cash flow to see them through this time. In my experience in working on the financial side of residential construction, the smart builders saw this coming 2 years ago. Send me a PM with specific names and I can let you know if they have a good reputation.

Signs to watch for in a subdivision...warning signs....tons of inventory and cannot throw up the houses fast enough (sign the builder is living off draw money from their bank)

Tons of construction material and equipment but no workers.

Good luck

Last edited by CreditWitch; 01-09-2008 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: grammer

Old 02-17-2008, 10:13 PM

3 posts, read 15,692 times
Default new home builder

what about ryland or silver creek? The latter seems to give you more for the money, but what about quality?

Old 02-18-2008, 12:28 PM

17,404 posts, read 65,560,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom636 View Post
what about ryland or silver creek? The latter seems to give you more for the money, but what about quality?
I'm surprised you'd put the two names in the same sentence. Overall, Ryland is a much better builder. A little broader spectrum of price point, and plan choices.
Silver Creek falls into that same catagory as Legacy, Homelife, etc. A lot of sq/ft bang for the buck- but no bells or whistles, and questionable quality.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:50 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,369,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom636 View Post
YOu will be hard pressed to find a Ryland home in the price range of 200-250k
Ryland builds as sold only and has few inventory homes, only by contract fall through.
I love their homes and quality, but expect to spend north of 250k.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:52 PM

352 posts, read 1,421,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Right now -- none of them. I would, not in a million years, buy a home in a subdivision that wasn't completed -- perhaps you could buy one of the last homes to be built in a subdivision, and be ok.

The last real estate slow down saw builders regularly abandoning half finished projects and selling off the remaining land cheaply and the new owners built less expensive homes. There was a lot less development back then.

This time you really have to worry that a subdivision may not be built out. Definitely don't buy in one where the amentities package isn't complete unless that swim/tennis isn't really that important to you.

If you must have a new home, your safest bet is to buy one that is already completed in a neighborhood that is done or nearly done.
Agree with everything you wrote. Much better bet to buy an older home in an establised neighbourhood in a better location. The house will be better built aswell especially if its 60s or older.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:13 AM

539 posts, read 2,094,936 times
I can tell you which home builder to stay away from.... Scenic Homes. If you would like more info please feel free to contact me.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:06 PM

6 posts, read 24,200 times
One sign to look for in selecting a stable builder is if the builder is traded on the NYSE there is probably sufficient financial backing to sustain them through the tough times. Some smaller builders have been foreclosed on and some of the larger builders have sold out to smaller builders. I recently had to do an inspection on a house where the builder had been foreclosed and the bank owned the house. This was last week.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:44 PM

2 posts, read 6,315 times
Default DR Horton

What can you tell me about DR Horton? We are considering buying one of their homes in Covington, GA. Comments would be appreciated. They offer an incentive package which I'm confused about.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreditWitch View Post
I can tell you that DR Horton is managing their subdivisions in Atlanta very carefully. lastminutemom's statement was a bit broad, but almost on the money. This is a very volatile price range as the Atlanta inventory is flooded with houses in this price range. Go with a very large builder that has the cash flow to see them through this time. In my experience in working on the financial side of residential construction, the smart builders saw this coming 2 years ago. Send me a PM with specific names and I can let you know if they have a good reputation.

Signs to watch for in a subdivision...warning signs....tons of inventory and cannot throw up the houses fast enough (sign the builder is living off draw money from their bank)

Tons of construction material and equipment but no workers.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta