Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 02:41 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
If one speeding ticket in 16 years affects your insurance rates, it's time for new insurance. I have State Farm and they don't raise your rates for something so silly.
On the contrary, my State Farm agent told me over the phone that rates likely would be affected for a ticket that was 20+ over. The circumstances might be different, but that's what I was told.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridesmart View Post
Ironic. Ain't it ? I used to say the same to who got the speeding ticket. But it is what it is
I can't claim to be 100% innocent on this issue either. Lesson learned.

Quote:
Thanks. So you are suggesting option 3:
Go to the court. When they ask "do you plead" say I would like to speak to a "solicitor" and negotiate. Did I understand it right?
Nope. I'm just telling you what I might do in a similar situation. As another poster said you have to decide for yourself if it is worth the time and effort to make a court appearance and ask for a reduction. Expect it to take about an hour, possibly 2 hours. You will likely end up paying the same amount, but if you are concerned about other ramifications (such as points or impact on insurance) then those would be reasons to make an appearance.

From the standpoint of convenience, the best route is #1: pay it by mail and move on with your life.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:54 PM

685 posts, read 720,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridesmart View Post
Well, I got ticketed for speeding on bell road in Johns Creek. Around 9 AM road was empty and I was not in rush or speeding intentionally. The cop says I was doing 48 in a 25 speed limit zone since it was 9 AM otherwise would have been 45. When I told I never got ticket and he chuckled out loud and told "now you do". And asked me to attend court on a particular day. I would bet I was not going 48, but may be 35-40, but does not matter since the cop told he measured with a laser gun.

Being the first ticket in last 16 years of my driving history I need some help from the forum members. What are my options? Here is what I think I came up so far

1. Option 1: Pay fine without even attending the court. The down side I gather is that it would add points to my driving history. Hence I am not inclined
2. Option 2: Go to court house on the day plead "no-lo". I came to know about this. The way I understand, it does not add points to the history hence insurance would not get affected. But still needs to pay fine

Are there any other options?
Can I take a defensive driving course before hand, go to court and ask the fine to be reduced? Please share your experiences/suggestions/tips.

THanks
I haven't had a ticket for years but traffic court was always my best bet.
-- It's possible the cop won't show
-- I don't know if in GA they can reduce the ticket from speeding to something inconsequential.

Good luck! Let us know what happens.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:26 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,709,551 times
If you are going to plead no lo, go to court.

If not, just pay online and call it a day. By the time, they reduce the fine, the court cost and fees will take it back up to the regular ticket price anyhow.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:44 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,644,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesip View Post
It is hard to fight off traffic ticket out here in Atlanta. Where I came from in South Florida, we can just hire lawyer to get dismissed.

Your best option is go to court, and get the points waived.
This is not true at all! I have hired lawyers in the past and gotten my tickets dismissed here in GA. I recommend the Hendrick Law Firm in Decatur! Always remember that the price to hire a lawyer is negotiable.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:23 AM

528 posts, read 1,284,093 times
I would go to court and find out your options and then decide what to do. I just had a ticket and pleaded NOLO AND asked them to reduce the fine (very nicely with some tears added) and they did. No points and fine reduced in half. I was in line behind someone and was asking what my options were since I have never gotten a ticket in GA before and he told me to "save your nolo in case you ever get arrested breaking up a fight or something". Ummm, that's not going to happen! You can use your nolo once every 5 years.

I would take the time to go to court, speak to the solicitor and find out your options. You do have the option to go to school to reduce as well. This was all in Forsyth county so it may vary in Johns Creek, not sure? If you plead not guilty, you have to go back again for the court date. They do subpoena the officer to show up so there's no chance in getting lucky and the cop doesn't show up. We had that in NY and my husband had his ticket wiped out but in NY, you pick your court date and then go only one time. Here you have to go and then come back. It's a long day and you wouldn't want to do it twice. That I wouldn't do but I think it's worth going to speak to them and get your options and then decide what you want to do. Good luck.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:30 AM

149 posts, read 280,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
I would go to court and find out your options and then decide what to do. I just had a ticket and pleaded NOLO AND asked them to reduce the fine (very nicely with some tears added) and they did. No points and fine reduced in half. I was in line behind someone and was asking what my options were since I have never gotten a ticket in GA before and he told me to "save your nolo in case you ever get arrested breaking up a fight or something". Ummm, that's not going to happen! You can use your nolo once every 5 years.

I would take the time to go to court, speak to the solicitor and find out your options. You do have the option to go to school to reduce as well. This was all in Forsyth county so it may vary in Johns Creek, not sure? If you plead not guilty, you have to go back again for the court date. They do subpoena the officer to show up so there's no chance in getting lucky and the cop doesn't show up. We had that in NY and my husband had his ticket wiped out but in NY, you pick your court date and then go only one time. Here you have to go and then come back. It's a long day and you wouldn't want to do it twice. That I wouldn't do but I think it's worth going to speak to them and get your options and then decide what you want to do. Good luck.
Thanks for the input.
Has anyone experienced with Johns Creek. Being new the area, would like someone's input

Old 02-05-2015, 10:20 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,740 times
You said you were driving around 9 a.m. I don't remember ever seeing people being required to do 25 mph so late in the morning. The latest I remember ever seeing is 8:30. I would definitely consider your job and the cost of losing those hours should you go to court. It would also depend on how much the ticket is. If it is too much, then maybe it'd be reduced if you go to court and tell them it was your first time and you were not aware you were in a school zone. I mean some areas really make it hard to tell. There is no warning you are about to enter a school zone and when you do, the signs aren't made so that drivers notice them.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
You said you were driving around 9 a.m. I don't remember ever seeing people being required to do 25 mph so late in the morning. The latest I remember ever seeing is 8:30. I would definitely consider your job and the cost of losing those hours should you go to court. It would also depend on how much the ticket is. If it is too much, then maybe it'd be reduced if you go to court and tell them it was your first time and you were not aware you were in a school zone. I mean some areas really make it hard to tell. There is no warning you are about to enter a school zone and when you do, the signs aren't made so that drivers notice them.
There is no school zone along Bell Road. So I'm assuming the OP meant Boles Road, where there is a zone for Woodward Academy. From what I recall it is adequately marked with signs and flashing yellow lights. But since Woodward starts at 8 am it also seems unlikely it would still be in effect at 9.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:34 PM

149 posts, read 280,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
There is no school zone along Bell Road. So I'm assuming the OP meant Boles Road, where there is a zone for Woodward Academy. From what I recall it is adequately marked with signs and flashing yellow lights. But since Woodward starts at 8 am it also seems unlikely it would still be in effect at 9.

Yes you are correct. I am new to the area. Have been careful for all along, not sure I noticed the school zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta