Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 03:54 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,810,372 times

Advertisements

But this still won't solve anything. You will have a longer commute 10 years from now.

This project is not raising some magic wall. You will just have more of a different set of cars to contend with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 03:58 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,112,335 times
You still don't get it.

You simply don't grasp the existing roads, traffic patterns and how that will change.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:59 PM

Also I don't know what "magic wall' you imagine. I'm talking about what exists and how that will actually changed based on the changes.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:08 PM

You realize this is not the first attempt to do a project like this, right? Guess what, traffic still continues to get worse. This project will solve nothing.

Do you seriously think your commute will be faster 10 years from now?

Old 02-09-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
You realize this is not the first attempt to do a project like this, right? Guess what, traffic still continues to get worse. This project will solve nothing.

Do you seriously think your commute will be faster 10 years from now?
Just admit that you can't grasp the simple concept that I'm referring to.

You don't get that it's correcting an error. This error creates unnecessary back ups.
You don't understand that even when 285 is moving, Ashford Dunwoody can still be be gridlocked because if 400 is bad (and it almost always is) then we are blocked in.

This blockage can mean a very long wait, just to get on 285 and get out of the right lane

This removes that blockage.

Now, by all means repeat what you said before like you didn't any factual information that would actually make you think about your words...

Old 02-09-2015, 04:25 PM

7,574 posts, read 10,698,486 times
oh geez...

The same study that shows an average 8 hours of savings/commuter is based on an average 63,000 hours annual delay in the interchange declining to 43,000 hours delay in 2019.

Of course we all know the region is going to grow to about 8 million by 2040, so they can analyze growth patterns from the ARC and anticipated growth in the area.

They run the same models based on the growth. By 2039 they anticipate 87,000 hours of delay, but it would be 122,000 hours delay not building the improvement.

That is 137 million hours saved over a 20 year life and none of that dives into the capacity improvements at helping people get in and out of a growing business district.

Spin this whatever way you like, but many of the prior arguments seem to be very short-sighted like in 20 years this wouldn't have been an improvement at all. That seems to be far from the case.

This might also be hard for many to understand. Highway and road improvements are also not soley based on decreasing commute times. Much of it is simply about handling the capacity of a growing business district and preventing accidents so flow is not obstructed as frequently.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Yep. You got me. I can't grasp the simple concept of C-D lanes.

Now, can will you admit or deny that your commute will be no better in 10 years?

Last edited by jsvh; 02-09-2015 at 04:41 PM..

Old 02-09-2015, 04:56 PM

5,618 posts, read 5,887,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
But this still won't solve anything. You will have a longer commute 10 years from now.

This project is not raising some magic wall. You will just have more of a different set of cars to contend with.
Soooo we're just gonna ignore Atlanta growing or what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post

You don't get that it's correcting an error. This error creates unnecessary back ups.
You don't understand that even when 285 is moving, Ashford Dunwoody can still be be gridlocked because if 400 is bad (and it almost always is) then we are blocked in.

This blockage can mean a very long wait, just to get on 285 and get out of the right lane

This removes that blockage.

Now, by all means repeat what you said before like you didn't any factual information that would actually make you think about your words...
I know exactly what you mean and it's why I'm glad I don't work in PC or Buckhead where it can take so long just to get to the freeway. Right now it's 10 minutes (according to Google) to go one mile on Ptree Dunwoody from Hammond to Abernathy. I know, it's not the same example where the traffic on 285 causes the ramp to back up but it still shows just getting to the freeway can be terrible.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Soooo we're just gonna ignore Atlanta growing or what.
Nope. Cities grow just fine without billion dollar overhauls of of interchanges. Or Atlanta's ridiculous overbuilding of highways.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:00 PM

7,574 posts, read 10,698,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Nope. Cities grow just fine without billion dollar overhauls of of interchanges. Or Atlanta's ridiculous overbuilding of highways.
Actually given our population we built less than most.

But no... overall you're wrong. They don't just grow fine without changes. We have massively under-invested in the past 25 years and we have gotten a great deal of criticism, including from those that decided to locate to other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta