Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 08:55 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,085 times

Advertisements

Oh Jesus, so an article isn't a love letter to Atlanta, therefore it's a "hatchet job."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 09:09 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Oh Jesus, so an article isn't a love letter to Atlanta, therefore it's a "hatchet job."
Oh, come on. I don't think anyone is looking for a love letter, but there seems to be a bit of 'piling on' going on due to the AJC's series.

There is an element in the press and around the country that detest this place, but you seem to be totally unaware of that. And more often than not, a lot of it deserves to be challenged.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:40 PM
bu2

24,092 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Title isn't very nice, but all it is is a restatement of what the AJC said.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:47 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm not sure where he got his data from, but from what I just read he is wrong on at least one. He says Atlanta's economy is down almost 1% from 2007. Atlanta's 2014 economy was $307 billion. According to this source (• Atlanta metro area - GDP 2013 | Statistic) it was $280 billion in 2007. How is $307 billion 1% below $280 billion??? Just not true. His other statements may be true. The primary reason for Atlanta's "employing 4% fewer people than before the recession" is likely due to the fact the population (and workforce) grew and the jobs haven't caught up yet, despite having grown. The increase in suburban poverty, the drop in wages, and the drop in home prices are a given due to the real estate bubble bursting and the fact that things haven't yet caught back up to those levels. Rather than being an "attack" piece, it might be an effort to poke Atlanta's and Georgia's leaders into pursuing more hard core economic growth. But how are they NOT already doing that? Georgia is doing pretty much what Texas is doing. The formula for Texas is low taxes, low regulation, low cost. How is that any different from Georgia? I guess the problem is that Texas' oil boom erases all concerns about their economic future. They should be worried as well, given that this oil boom is waning. Texas also will face severe water shortages and a decline in oil employment over the next few years/decades. I still continue to believe that the fact that Atlanta's collapse was more severe than the other sunbelt boomtowns is the cause of it's struggle to claw back and is not a cause for extreme alarm.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:53 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,585 times
^
The above post I wrote should have stated "2013 economy was $307 billion." I'm not sure if the BEA has calculated full year 2014 GDP yet.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:15 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
I'm not sure where he got his data from, but from what I just read he is wrong on at least one. He says Atlanta's economy is down almost 1% from 2007. Atlanta's 2014 economy was $307 billion. According to this source (• Atlanta metro area - GDP 2013 | Statistic) it was $280 billion in 2007. How is $307 billion 1% below $280 billion??? Just not true. His other statements may be true. The primary reason for Atlanta's "employing 4% fewer people than before the recession" is likely due to the fact the population (and workforce) grew and the jobs haven't caught up yet, despite having grown. The increase in suburban poverty, the drop in wages, and the drop in home prices are a given due to the real estate bubble bursting and the fact that things haven't yet caught back up to those levels. Rather than being an "attack" piece, it might be an effort to poke Atlanta's and Georgia's leaders into pursuing more hard core economic growth. But how are they NOT already doing that? Georgia is doing pretty much what Texas is doing. The formula for Texas is low taxes, low regulation, low cost. How is that any different from Georgia? I guess the problem is that Texas' oil boom erases all concerns about their economic future. They should be worried as well, given that this oil boom is waning. Texas also will face severe water shortages and a decline in oil employment over the next few years/decades. I still continue to believe that the fact that Atlanta's collapse was more severe than the other sunbelt boomtowns is the cause of it's struggle to claw back and is not a cause for extreme alarm.
Dallas (and Houston) and Charlotte have invested in infrastructure. Atlanta has done next to nothing since the Olympics.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:22 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Dallas (and Houston) and Charlotte have invested in infrastructure. Atlanta has done next to nothing since the Olympics.
Oh come on. Their light rail systems are absolutely pathetic to say the least and gets little no ridership. Their public transit has had little effect. When they have full blown subway systems getting 400k+ daily riders, then those cities can say something.

Atlanta's MARTA rail is still getting more than 4 times the riders of the next most ridden public transit system out of those 3 cities: Dallas. Atlanta still has the highest public transit ridership % out of the four metros.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:07 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
Well said there on the transit sytem comparison issue Ant..

It helps to have both long-range perspective & long time memories when discussing issues like this.
I realize that Atlanta does have warts and fall short in many things and often I am it's harshest critic. But, as part of the piling on aspect which I have seen PLENTY of times in my 35 years here, there has often been an overstatement made by "experts", media types & lay people as to how well various cities have done in this or that as compared to Atlanta. Sadly the AJC in that tradition, has repeatedly run series over the years that look critically at Atlanta issues but don't look critically enough at what the other comparative cities have done or are doing. Just because Joe Blow from this urban institute or Jolene Blow from city A says that they have done this or that doesn't mean that they really have succeeded to the extent that we are led to believe.
An example is that Charlotte's business center is said, in the AJC article and in another linked article I have seen here, to be marvelous or vibrant or totally following on their plan by comparison to Atlanta. Yet I've heard plenty of grumbling from natives there about how it too often dries up and dies at night, has little retail component, is unsafe at night, etc. That topic of general complaint about "uptown" Charlotte has also turned up on CD threads originating out of that city as well as in the comments section at their own city newspaper.
But, for some reason, we as Atlantans are supposed to simply accept the finger pointing & pokes in the eye that we have too often received out of such comparative articles. I can't tell you how many times over the decades I have read in such articles based on our smaller nearby peers, comments on the order of, "Oh, we would never want to be as big as Atlanta," or to grow as fast. Cue time for an eye roll in view of their own state or chamber policies that seem to be trying to achieve just that.
As I said earlier, a bit of long term perspective would be helpful and if you don't have it to the extent to know what has gone down in the history of criticism, piling on & poking at Atlanta, I suggest that one not waltz in here and think that one can speak accurately about it.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:23 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Oh come on. Their light rail systems are absolutely pathetic to say the least and gets little no ridership. Their public transit has had little effect. When they have full blown subway systems getting 400k+ daily riders, then those cities can say something.

Atlanta's MARTA rail is still getting more than 4 times the riders of the next most ridden public transit system out of those 3 cities: Dallas. Atlanta still has the highest public transit ridership % out of the four metros.
And most of it was built by the feds in the 70s.

The point of the AJC article is that Atlanta is sitting on its past laurels. I believe they've only added one stop to MARTA since the Olympics. Dallas has built a whole 70+ mile rail system, most of which is grade separated. Charlotte has built a system. Houston has a 21 mile system completed or under construction, the first stretch was built entirely with local funds (thanks to Houston Rep. Tom Delay who opposed it) and that stretch has the 2nd highest ridership per mile of any light rail system in the country.

Atlanta, recently added a new exit and added the HOT lanes (or converted them) after doing literally nothing since the opening of 400. Charlotte has done a lot of highway construction. Dallas has done a massive amount. I could recite a bunch of it but wouldn't be complete. Houston's has done a lot also. Atlanta was actually growing faster than any of these cities prior to the recession. So nothing for nearly 20 years while Houston (Dallas's list is similar):

Inner loop-610-added lanes on north side, rebuilt west side adding some massive flyover ramps, rebuilt south side.
Beltway 8 (about same distance as 285)-completed main lanes on northeast side, added lanes on north and west, constructing new lanes on south and planning new lanes on east.
Grand Parkway (3rd loop) Completed 3 of 11 sections with 3 under construction scheduled to be completed this year and 2 others expected to be under contract next year.
And counterclockwise:
Northwest Freeway US 290-multi-billion project in progress adding lanes and HOT lanes. Extending the freeway 2 miles to intersect with I-10 instead of merging with 610.
Katy Freeway I-10-expanded to 24 lanes including new HOT lanes and extra access road lanes from 610 to Katy, cutting 18 minutes off the in--bound commute at first. Adding lanes now inside loop 610.
Westpark Toll Road-new toll road from near 610 to Grand Parkway-currently constructing additional miles beyond Grand Parkway.
Southwest Freeway (I-69)-Completely rebuilt, portions below grade, from near downtown to Beltway 8, adding lanes and improving ramps. Additional lanes have been added beyond Beltway 8.
Ft. Bend Toll Road-new toll road from near 610 to Highway 6 near Grand parkway route.
US 90 South Main-built several overpasses to create mini-freeway.
South Freeway-TX 288-nothing, but working on bids for HOT lanes in median.
Texas 35-completed 2 miles first stretch near downtown-still in planning for extension to Grand Parkway.
Gulf Freeway (I-45 S)-Added lanes beyond Beltway 8 in several places to Galveston. Rebuilt Galveston Causeway Bridge. Inside Beltway 8 was completed in late 80s so nothing has been done there.
Nasa Parkway-built new freeway from I-45 to by-pass Nasa Road 1.
LaPorte Freeway (TX 225)-the one freeway where nothing has been done or is currently in process
East Freeway (I-10)-Widened and rebuilt 2 river bridges and reconstructed other portions
Crosby Freeway (US 90 N)-new freeway from 610 out about 10 miles
Eastex Freeway (I-69 N)-Completely rebuilt and added lanes and HOV lanes from downtown to Kingwood near Grand Parkway route.
Hardy Toll Road-Constructing lanes north of Beltway 8, under construction (utility relocation) for adding the 4 miles of new freeway from 610 to downtown.
North Freeway (I-45N)-Added lanes north of Beltway, started studies for improving inside Beltway 8 (rebuilt in mid-80s)
Tomball Parkway (TX 249)-Constructing several miles of new toll road north of Beltway 8.

Compare that list to 1 new exit ramp and a conversion HOT lane with both cities growing at a rapid pace. Atlanta has Delta instead of Birmingham because they were willing to build infrastructure. Are Atlanta and Georgia willing to continue to invest? Or will they as they AJC suggests, just say, well everyone has traffic problems, and continue to hope courts rule their way on the water wars.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:39 AM

216 posts, read 298,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
And most of it was built by the feds in the 70s.

The point of the AJC article is that Atlanta is sitting on its past laurels. I believe they've only added one stop to MARTA since the Olympics. Dallas has built a whole 70+ mile rail system, most of which is grade separated. Charlotte has built a system. Houston has a 21 mile system completed or under construction, the first stretch was built entirely with local funds (thanks to Houston Rep. Tom Delay who opposed it) and that stretch has the 2nd highest ridership per mile of any light rail system in the country.

Atlanta, recently added a new exit and added the HOT lanes (or converted them) after doing literally nothing since the opening of 400. Charlotte has done a lot of highway construction. Dallas has done a massive amount. I could recite a bunch of it but wouldn't be complete. Houston's has done a lot also. Atlanta was actually growing faster than any of these cities prior to the recession. So nothing for nearly 20 years while Houston (Dallas's list is similar):

Inner loop-610-added lanes on north side, rebuilt west side adding some massive flyover ramps, rebuilt south side.
Beltway 8 (about same distance as 285)-completed main lanes on northeast side, added lanes on north and west, constructing new lanes on south and planning new lanes on east.
Grand Parkway (3rd loop) Completed 3 of 11 sections with 3 under construction scheduled to be completed this year and 2 others expected to be under contract next year.
And counterclockwise:
Northwest Freeway US 290-multi-billion project in progress adding lanes and HOT lanes. Extending the freeway 2 miles to intersect with I-10 instead of merging with 610.
Katy Freeway I-10-expanded to 24 lanes including new HOT lanes and extra access road lanes from 610 to Katy, cutting 18 minutes off the in--bound commute at first. Adding lanes now inside loop 610.
Westpark Toll Road-new toll road from near 610 to Grand Parkway-currently constructing additional miles beyond Grand Parkway.
Southwest Freeway (I-69)-Completely rebuilt, portions below grade, from near downtown to Beltway 8, adding lanes and improving ramps. Additional lanes have been added beyond Beltway 8.
Ft. Bend Toll Road-new toll road from near 610 to Highway 6 near Grand parkway route.
US 90 South Main-built several overpasses to create mini-freeway.
South Freeway-TX 288-nothing, but working on bids for HOT lanes in median.
Texas 35-completed 2 miles first stretch near downtown-still in planning for extension to Grand Parkway.
Gulf Freeway (I-45 S)-Added lanes beyond Beltway 8 in several places to Galveston. Rebuilt Galveston Causeway Bridge. Inside Beltway 8 was completed in late 80s so nothing has been done there.
Nasa Parkway-built new freeway from I-45 to by-pass Nasa Road 1.
LaPorte Freeway (TX 225)-the one freeway where nothing has been done or is currently in process
East Freeway (I-10)-Widened and rebuilt 2 river bridges and reconstructed other portions
Crosby Freeway (US 90 N)-new freeway from 610 out about 10 miles
Eastex Freeway (I-69 N)-Completely rebuilt and added lanes and HOV lanes from downtown to Kingwood near Grand Parkway route.
Hardy Toll Road-Constructing lanes north of Beltway 8, under construction (utility relocation) for adding the 4 miles of new freeway from 610 to downtown.
North Freeway (I-45N)-Added lanes north of Beltway, started studies for improving inside Beltway 8 (rebuilt in mid-80s)
Tomball Parkway (TX 249)-Constructing several miles of new toll road north of Beltway 8.

Compare that list to 1 new exit ramp and a conversion HOT lane with both cities growing at a rapid pace. Atlanta has Delta instead of Birmingham because they were willing to build infrastructure. Are Atlanta and Georgia willing to continue to invest? Or will they as they AJC suggests, just say, well everyone has traffic problems, and continue to hope courts rule their way on the water wars.
You make a very strong point. I travel quite a bit and can honestly say we are seriously lagging in investing in infrastructure the way other are. I feel it's going to bite us in the end. The problem is the Atlanta region doesn't work together for the common good of the region. It's very much a "me" or an "us" vs "them" mentality here. I love Atlanta, but truth is this hurry up and wait thought process the state of Ga has is more than likely going to cost us big in the end if something doesn't change fast. Now is the time, not 30 years of planning to do something that we all know is a problem.......water, traffic. Etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta