Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2015, 08:58 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

Infrastructure is a lot more than just roads.

We've spent billions on water and sewage system upgrades and on massively expanding the airport. That should count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 09:09 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Thank you for saving me from having to write just that, Arjay.
Unfortunately, when it comes to discussing "infrastructure" improvements, a "pave it and we they will come" mindset is what too many folks immediately default to as the end all be all answer. The reality is much more multi-faceted.
Truth be known, I've yet to see a beautiful, paved over landscape.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:12 AM

216 posts, read 298,590 times
Just to clarify I wasn't just suggesting build more roads. I agree we can not pave our way out of this mess. Any new interstates in my opinion should be tolled. We need commuter rail, light rail and expansion of Marta. The beltline and the streetcar need to made a priority in this transit adverse city. It's great that Atlanta finally decided to upgrade their water system, but what is the state doing in regards to preparing for future water needs? Take Tennessee to court? Lol. There are a lot of things the state of Ga is doing right, but there are also many things Ga could learn from other states. When businesses continue to discount Atlanta as a place to be because of this transit mess then I guess some of you would be ecstatic. In the end we lose. And yes the airport is Atlanta's strongest asset.

Last edited by kayoticworld; 02-18-2015 at 10:51 AM..

Old 02-18-2015, 11:14 AM

216 posts, read 298,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

We've spent billions on water and sewage system upgrades and on massively expanding the airport. That should count.
Atlanta wouldn't have had to spend nowhere near the amount of money to overhaul the sewage system if they had actually performed the necessary maintance and invested in it in the first place. If anything this lends validity to my point of officials just sitting on their hands hoping a problem would go away or leaving it for the next generation. I wouldn't call that a revelationary infrastructure improvement either. Once again if the sewage system had been taking care of in the first place they wouldn't be spending a billion dollars to fix it. When you grow as a city you have to invest and upgrade your sewer system along with the growth.

Again what is the state doing to make sure we have enough water for the estimated 3 million extra people expected by 2040? Can anyone answer this question or do we keep pretending this big white elephant isn't in the room?

Traffic? Spend a billion dollars on one interchange but do literally nothing to help fund Marta, the streetcar, the beltline or commuter rail? When did options become a dirty word?

Yeah, but those tax credits for the movie industry will make everything alright. Magic pill.

Last edited by kayoticworld; 02-18-2015 at 11:29 AM..

Old 02-18-2015, 11:50 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayoticworld View Post
Atlanta wouldn't have had to spend nowhere near the amount of money to overhaul the sewage system if they had actually performed the necessary maintance and invested in it in the first place. If anything this lends validity to my point of officials just sitting on their hands hoping a problem would go away or leaving it for the next generation. I wouldn't call that a revelationary infrastructure improvement either. Once again if the sewage system had been taking care of in the first place they wouldn't be spending a billion dollars to fix it. When you grow as a city you have to invest and upgrade your sewer system along with the growth.
I am no fan of politicians but I will have to stick up for them on this one. Very few run for office saying, "If elected, I vow to spend $4 billion of the taxpayers' money to fix up old sewer pipes and I will jack up their water bill to pay for it!"

Yes, Atlanta had to be forced into it but those are not popular issues.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:10 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

The airport counts and is important. That's Atlanta's most important economic asset.

The Savannah port counts.

What have they spent on water supply? The whole water wars are actually partly because Atlanta was short-sighted 60 years ago on water. I don't think there are any plans to improve the situation. Sue Florida? Sue Tennessee to change the boundary?

The sewer is catchup. I can't believe its taken Atlanta and Georgia so long to get their act together on the sewer. I thought the federal and state governments had long ago forced cities to clean up their act. And Reed asked for and got another 10 years to completely comply.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:13 PM
bu2

I see Kayotic and I are making some of the same points.

On the sewer, Houston got forced into spending their billions in the early 80s. Many other cities had the same issues back then. Atlanta is not unique, just really late to the party.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:15 PM
bu2

Atlanta's central location and status as the only really large metro in the southeast, its airport and rail lines are key advantages. When they let the road and transit cease to be effective, it negates Atlanta's biggest advantage. Atlanta can be dominant in logistics/distribution.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:16 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Dallas (and Houston) and Charlotte have invested in infrastructure. Atlanta has done next to nothing since the Olympics.
Did you not see the Time article where our mayor was woman of the year for mastermining the biggest infrastructure project on Atlanta's history regarding our sewer system back in the mid 2000s?
Do we not also have a new streetcar?

What do you think the wildly new and popular ;BeltLine is?
Oh and what about the major redo of Piedmont Park and it's expansion?

The new International terminal at the airport with its new rental car facility's and automated people mover?

I get off the airport in Houston/Charlotte it might cost more than $30 to get downtown.
Atlanta it cost me $2.50.

Next month MARTA will be operating in a new. County since it first began.

So.please explain to me how much Charlotte and Houston have done so much more than Atlanta because I obviously must have missed something.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:57 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Did you not see the Time article where our mayor was woman of the year for mastermining the biggest infrastructure project on Atlanta's history regarding our sewer system back in the mid 2000s?
Do we not also have a new streetcar?

What do you think the wildly new and popular ;BeltLine is?
Oh and what about the major redo of Piedmont Park and it's expansion?

The new International terminal at the airport with its new rental car facility's and automated people mover?

I get off the airport in Houston/Charlotte it might cost more than $30 to get downtown.
Atlanta it cost me $2.50.

Next month MARTA will be operating in a new. County since it first began.

So.please explain to me how much Charlotte and Houston have done so much more than Atlanta because I obviously must have missed something.
Wasn't the entire North Springs line of MARTA built around the year 2000 also?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta