Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 11:32 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,228,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
I would sure love to hear the college grads point of view as everytime I meet one at McDonalds or Starbucks, they don't seem to evoke that same feeling.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 09:04 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,033,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckshere View Post
The title of the article is ATLANTA is the best city for new grads, not the state as a whole. The unemployment in Georgia varies a lot from one county to another. A lot of the towns around metro Atlanta have unemployment rates around 2 to 3 percent. For example, the unemployment rate for Suwanee is 1.68%.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
No one wants to buy your snake oil.

As of this post, the unemployment rate for the entire metro area is at 6.4% (Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas)
The rate for the entire USA is 5.7% (http://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-a...ly-update.aspx)

Suwanee does have an unemployment rate below 2% but it also has a median household income of $85,000 and a population of just 17,700 people.

Gwinnett county (which is where Suwanee is located) as a whole has an unemployment rate of 5.7% (same as the national average), a median household income of $62,000, and a population of 859,000 people.

So, cherry picking statistics for 2% of the people in Gwinnett county (or 0.03% of the entire Atlanta metro area), does not a 'best city' make.

Last edited by Yac; 02-18-2015 at 07:28 AM..

Old 02-13-2015, 11:59 AM

346 posts, read 388,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post

As of this post, the unemployment rate for the entire metro area is at 6.4% (Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas)
The rate for the entire USA is 5.7% (http://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-a...ly-update.aspx)

Suwanee does have an unemployment rate below 2% but it also has a median household income of $85,000 and a population of just 17,700 people.

Gwinnett county (which is where Suwanee is located) as a whole has an unemployment rate of 5.7% (same as the national average), a median household income of $62,000, and a population of 859,000 people.

So, cherry picking statistics for 2% of the people in Gwinnett county (or 0.03% of the entire Atlanta metro area), does not a 'best city' make.
According to the link I cited, the Suwanee population is 35, 241 and it's this population number that has an unemployment rate of 1.68%. So, right there, that's double the number of people you're saying the statistic represented.

There are 42,019 people in Snellville, and it has an unemployment rate of 3.03%. Cumming has a population of 75,140 and the unemployment rate is 1.94%. Dallas, GA has a population of 45,531 and has an unemployment rate of 2.60%.

So, the message for the college grads would be that there are opportunities in GA, but avoid towns like Statesboro, Fort Valley and Albany. That's why the article said ATLANTA. And, in fact, those numbers vary a lot by zip code.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

The unemployment rate in 30313 is over 76% (population of 11,035). This is an area around the Georgia Dome. But, if you look at the page I cited, half of the zip codes in Atlanta have unemployment rates under the national average. And a third of the zip codes in Atlanta have unemployment rates under 4%.

My point wasn't to cherry pick statistics, but Atlanta, like most cities, has a wide range of unemployment statistics and there must be something right here for the article to put Atlanta on the list of good picks for college grads and, beyond that, indicate that Atlanta is #1 on the list.

Last edited by Yac; 02-18-2015 at 07:27 AM..

Old 02-13-2015, 12:12 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post

Snake oil?

Wow, you are incredibly disrespectful and rude. There was no need for name-calling. It's clear you are just wanting to be "right" at all costs, and "right" to you is the worst possible scenario at all times. Your hatefulness precludes your recognition that 6.4% isn't significantly much worse than 5.7%. Not to mention jobs are being created and it is FALLING.

Your complete disregard of my apologetic post shows the true character. It isn't worth it to continue an argument with that, and I urge chuckshere to do the same.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
Snake oil?

Wow, you are incredibly disrespectful and rude. There was no need for name-calling. It's clear you are just wanting to be "right" at all costs, and "right" to you is the worst possible scenario at all times. Your hatefulness precludes your recognition that 6.4% isn't significantly much worse than 5.7%. Not to mention jobs are being created and it is FALLING.

Your complete disregard of my apologetic post shows the true character. It isn't worth it to continue an argument with that, and I urge chuckshere to do the same.
Most of the time, ad hominem is an admission of a weak argument and/or poor debating skills. I try to avoid that and stick to logical, factual arguments. That's why I used the links to analysis of the unemployment data for both Georgia and Atlanta in my reply.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:28 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,804 times
While everybody is off fighting this "unemployment rate" straw man let's review the methodology for this list:

Quote:
The best cities to live, work and play were all chosen based on mean entry-level income, average price of a one-bedroom apartment, proximity to postgraduate institutions, and social opportunities. The list also analyzes unemployment rates and the percentage of the population identified as millennials (ages 25 to 34).

Old 02-13-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
While everybody is off fighting this "unemployment rate" straw man let's review the methodology for this list:
The quote you cited said that unemployment rate was considered in the making of the list. Please explain how a discussion of that fits the definition of strawman argument.

If there was a strawman, it was the use of the GA numbers instead of Atlanta. And that was the point I challenged.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
The quote you cited said that unemployment rate was considered in the making of the list. Please explain how a discussion of that fits the definition of strawman argument.

Well....unemployment rate, per the quote, was kind of the least important factor that went into their listings.

To have the argument that I just saw, like it was the ONLY factor, means a lot of people didn't actually click the link and read it, they just went straight into hater-mode. And those on the opposing side fell for it, and started attacking said strawman.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
Well....unemployment rate, per the quote, was kind of the least important factor that went into their listings.

To have the argument that I just saw, like it was the ONLY factor, means a lot of people didn't actually click the link and read it, they just went straight into hater-mode. And those on the opposing side fell for it, and started attacking said strawman.
I challenged someone who used GA numbers to challenge an ATLANTA list. I did so with statistics. What does it mean to go into "hater-mode"? I repeat that arguing one of the factors in the study isn't a strawman argument. And presenting a factual argument isn't "falling for" anything.

Last edited by chuckshere; 02-13-2015 at 01:14 PM..

Old 02-13-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I challenged someone who used GA numbers to challenge an ATLANTA list. I did so with statistics. What does it mean to go into "hater-mode"? I repeat that arguing one of the factors in the study isn't a strawman argument. And presenting a factual argument isn't "falling for" anything.

The person who used GA numbers to try to prove a point that the article was bunk....that was hater-mode. You didn't need to argue with him. Just understand they were looking for attention and a fight, and then clown them for it.

I hate that every single thread dissolves into this round and round ad nauseum and mostly off-topic fight about how Atlanta sucks or doesn't suck.

You need to do better, Atlanta Forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta