Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 08:52 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i don't see why not. the bay area also has two teams. i think eventually we will probably have two MLB teams, albeit probably not now.
The Bay Area also is a split territory (which is why the A's haven't moved from Oakland to San Jose, the Giants won't let them). This is not the case here, where the Braves' territory includes the entire state of Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 11:36 AM
bu2

24,087 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
This isn't logical either. Cumberland needs to have a single seat ride to Midtown, Downtown & the Airport off of the Red/Gold lines as originally envisioned. The line across 285 to Doraville is a given, and has been proposed for years now.

Forcing a transfer at Five Points for an expanded Green Line to Cumberland would have miniscule ridership, compared to the originally proposed line north of Arts Center.
I was trying to be succinct. What I was suggesting on the 285 line was Cumberland to Perimeter to Downtown and then south. If MARTA instead of commuter rail went to Clayton County, it could be connected to that line.

On the green line, I don't see why transferring downtown to get north would be significantly different than transferring at the Arts Center. Neither would get a lot of Buckhead/Perimeter Mall traffic. Now if the two ideas were combined, you could have a circular route that went both ways-Cumberland to the green line to the east to East Lake or Decatur or Avondale through the Clifton Corridor to Lindberg and then either NE to Doraville and then across 285 or N to Perimeter Mall and then across to Cumberland.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:39 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Unless you build a new line, or quad-track the existing line, I don't think that will work. MARTA struggles to keep from being delayed with 5 minute headways, I'm not sure they could handle a third full line the entire length of the Red/Gold trunk. Yes yes, I know "BUT BUT! DESIGNED FOR 90 SECOND HEADWAYS!" Yes I know, but that's only the theoretical design headway, as a daily rider, believe me, the 5 minute headways are frequently a struggle already.
Is that a competence issue? I seem to recall New York doing it. Those trains are pretty close together.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Is that a competence issue?
Quote:
MARTA
Quote:
MattCW
20 pages

Old 02-16-2015, 12:53 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
20 pages
Well, it's obvious that by getting rid of Keith Parker, everything will get better at MARTA! MARTOC will kiss the new GM's feet, billions of dollars in expansion money will fall out of the sky, and everyone ITP will abandon their cars and sing kumbayah while riding MARTA trains and buses. Get your head out of the sand and smell MARTA's bright future without Keith Parker!

- skbl17

Old 02-16-2015, 01:28 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
20 pages
Not sure what your point was.

Mine was that if New York could do it, we could too with the right people. If necessary, hire someone from NY who knows how to make it work.

I don't think Keith Parker gets down into that level of detail. He's responsible, but some subordinate who's an engineer makes it work. And if it isn't working, that's a long term issue, not something that started with Keith Parker.

And since we don't have a 3rd line on the same track or anything under construction or being seriously considered that would do that, that's not a current issue. They are planning on stopping Clayton at East Point and it is planned as commuter rail, not HRT.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Not sure what your point was.
That was a reference to this thread.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:22 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i don't see why not. the bay area also has two teams. i think eventually we will probably have two MLB teams, albeit probably not now.
Never gonna happen. One MLB team works fine for metro Atlanta.

Honestly, New York City could easily take on a third team, or perhaps Boston and a second team (no, not the Braves, please!). Baseball culture runs deep in the Northeast.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:46 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Never gonna happen. One MLB team works fine for metro Atlanta.

Honestly, New York City could easily take on a third team, or perhaps Boston and a second team (no, not the Braves, please!). Baseball culture runs deep in the Northeast.
NY could support another team, but Chicago and LA are the only other areas that can really solidly support 2 teams in this day and age. Oakland is struggling a little. Atlanta certainly couldn't.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:54 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Is that a competence issue? I seem to recall New York doing it. Those trains are pretty close together.
Of course it's not a competence issue. MARTA routinely handled one million + daily riders during the Olympics. It's an infrastructure issue. This isn't New York, and we don't have 4 track main lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta