Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 05:25 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times

Advertisements

This is ridiculous. Nobody wants this to happen.

Let Cobb enhance Liberty Media's profits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 06:15 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
The Marietta Daily Journal - Lawmaker files bill to annex Braves back into Atlanta
I'll just leave this here without comment for now and go start the popcorn. Who wants extra butter?
Me!

Old 02-11-2015, 08:58 PM

764 posts, read 1,108,926 times
At the present time, the only city which can annex the property which Liberty Media has acquired is the City of Smyrna. The Smyrna City Limits are directly across Cobb Parkway at Nalley Lexus, so it would be easy for them to annex that land as it geographically contiguous which meets the requirements of GA law.

If only Smyrna had been smart and accepted the proposal of the developers of Cumberland Mall back in the early 1970's to annex their land in order to tap into Smyrna's sewer line, then Smyrna would be in a lot better position tax base wise as that decision would have led to a lot of other annexation possibilities. However, the mayor and city council at that time were lacking vision. I get the sense from talking to old timers that back in the 1960's and early 70's, Smyrna felt like it was a small town satellite of Atlanta and not a suburb in the sprawl of the Metro area like it is today. Before Cumberland Mall was built the land along Cobb Parkway north of the Chattahoochee River was undeveloped woodlands. Someone described it as "rabbit country." In fact, there was a small mountain (similar to what you see east of I-75 in the Chattahoochee River Recreational Area) which had to be bulldozed down in order to build the Cobb/Galleria complex.

As a result of the decision of the Smyrna City Council to not extend the sewer line to allow for the Cumberland Mall annexation, the Sun Trust Park and lots of other valuable real estate is not part of the Smyrna Tax Digest. Smyrna residents today wish that this were not the case. The present Mayor and City Council would jump at the chance for such an annexation.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:11 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Dear God...

Old 02-11-2015, 09:37 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
At the present time, the only city which can annex the property which Liberty Media has acquired is the City of Smyrna. The Smyrna City Limits are directly across Cobb Parkway at Nalley Lexus, so it would be easy for them to annex that land as it geographically contiguous which meets the requirements of GA law.
geographically contiguous is not a requirement of Georgia law using the local act of the general assembly method.

However, that proposal is considered contiguous from that narrow strip next to I-75 (kind of BS but its alright by law)

Old 02-11-2015, 09:40 PM

364 posts, read 418,234 times
FYI this was introduced by the representive of parts of South Cobb, so it's not like someone from Atlanta proper trying to snipe it

Furthermore because no residents live in the proposed annexation there is no requirement to hold referendum. If this passes it would go into effect

Old 02-11-2015, 10:10 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,314,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
FYI this was introduced by the representive of parts of South Cobb, so it's not like someone from Atlanta proper trying to snipe it

Furthermore because no residents live in the proposed annexation there is no requirement to hold referendum. If this passes it would go into effect
Actually, she lives in Atlanta. It just so happens that some of her district is in South Cobb.

If I lived in her district, at the next election, I think I would end up voting for a Republican for the first time ever. What a bunch of nonsense.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:25 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,450 times
So today, we have two new General Assembly bills that would:

1) Annex I-75 and Suntrust Park into Atlanta out of spite and some petty need to keep the Atlanta Braves in the City of Atlanta.

2) A bill that would ban the creation of "glow-in the dark human jellyfish hybrids"; you know, for...reasons.

In case you want to know, (1) was introduced by a D, (2) was introduced by an R. Same stupid idiocy from the same two stupid parties.

How the f*** do we sit and allow our esteemed representatives at the Gold Dome propose nonsense like this? Waste of paper, waste of resources, waste of time. I guess trivial stuff like transportation, the budget, education, and healthcare aren't worth the General Assembly's time; it's much better to focus on the important stuff like human-jellyfish embryos and sports teams.

- skbl17

Old 02-12-2015, 06:16 AM

559 posts, read 832,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
So today, we have two new General Assembly bills that would:

1) Annex I-75 and Suntrust Park into Atlanta out of spite and some petty need to keep the Atlanta Braves in the City of Atlanta.

2) A bill that would ban the creation of "glow-in the dark human jellyfish hybrids"; you know, for...reasons.

In case you want to know, (1) was introduced by a D, (2) was introduced by an R. Same stupid idiocy from the same two stupid parties.

How the f*** do we sit and allow our esteemed representatives at the Gold Dome propose nonsense like this? Waste of paper, waste of resources, waste of time. I guess trivial stuff like transportation, the budget, education, and healthcare aren't worth the General Assembly's time; it's much better to focus on the important stuff like human-jellyfish embryos and sports teams.

- skbl17

Exactly. This is what happens when idiots get elected to public office.

Great post.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:31 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,993 times
What!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta