Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 12:06 PM

564 posts, read 884,371 times

Advertisements

I think the switch to Camp Creek would be good for you guys. It makes sense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 12:24 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,925,853 times
1st Should I live in Alpharetta vs Cumming... Now Should I Live in Cumming Vs Camp Creek.

I did not go thru all your past posts, but Kids? Schools? I think Forsyth will be better,

The transaction cost of selling / Moving your Cumming home will wipe out/put you negative.

If the drive down GA400 is to much for you 3 days a week, Consider taking the Bus from GA400/Ex14, Into Atlanta, or switch @ NorthSpring and take Marta.

If you need more "Time" freedom, I would suggest Windward Park/Ride (Longer Rush Hour Bus Options)

Old 02-14-2015, 02:22 PM

10,347 posts, read 11,357,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plucas001 View Post
Good morning,

I was wondering if some of you could help me out with the pros and cons of living in Cumming vs living in Camp Creek.

My wife and I purchased a home in Cumming a little more than a year ago and discovered that the equity in our home is much more than we had originally thought. With that in mind, we were thinking about selling and moving to a community called "Lakeside Preserve" in Camp Creek which has homes within our price range and is closer to where we church and where I work.

I know that the schools in Forsyth have a great reputation and the taxes are much cheaper, however I am wondering if the 38.5 miles that I commute to Atlanta 3 days out of the week kinda balance out the tax higher tax rate that I'd be paying in Fulton.

Here is my weekly commute from Cumming:

1) Monday, Wed, Fri : Cumming to Atlanta (40 miles x 2 x 3) = 240 mi/week
2) Sunday : Cumming to College Park (50 miles x 2) = 100 mi/week

If I lived at Lakeside Preserve it would be:

1) Mon, Wed, Fri : 16.7 x 2 x 3 = 100.2 mi/week
2) Sunday: 13 miles x 2 = 26 mi/week

Considering factors such as crime, taxes and schools, I am open to suggestions about the Camp Creek area.

Our home price range can't exceed $240,000. We are buying new.
Because of the difference in the quality of schools between the much more highly-regarded school system in Forsyth County and the much less-regarded schools in the Westlake High School cluster of Southwest Fulton County, I would have to recommend against you and your family relocating to the Camp Creek area, particularly if you have school-aged children.

If school-aged children were not involved and just the commute to and from your job in Midtown alone were the only concern, I might be able to support a possible move from Cumming and Forsyth County (which is home to some of the best schools in the state of Georgia) to the Camp Creek area of South Fulton County where the schools are generally nowhere near as highly-regarded as the schools are in an area like Forsyth County.

The thing that really makes me not be able to support the prospect of you moving your family to Lakeside Preserve at Camp Creek is that the local middle school for which the Lakeside Preserve development is zoned for (Camp Creek Middle School) only has a rating of 2 out of 10 on the Great Schools website.
Camp Creek Middle School - Atlanta, Georgia - GA - School overview

Now, I'm not saying that you should not move your family to the Lakeside Preserve at Camp Creek, but I cannot in good conscience recommend that anyone move their family into an area where the public schools are ranked so low and where the public schools have been known to have some safety problems at times (as is the case at Westlake High School which is the local high school that the area is zoned for).

Now obviously, not everyone who attends the schools in the Westlake High School cluster has problems (...for the record, Westlake High School fares much better in the Great Schools ratings with a rating of 6 out of 10)....But you should be aware that the schools in the area that you are considering moving your family to are nowhere near as highly regarded and as highly ranked as the schools most likely are in the area where you currently live at in Forsyth County.

(...Of the five current traditional high schools in Forsyth County, none have a rating lower than 8 on a scale of 10.)

Now if school-aged children are not involved, a possible move to the Camp Creek area of South Fulton County might not be such a bad move considering that you would be much closer to your job in Midtown and your church in College Park.

Though crime is much more of a concern in the Camp Creek area of South Fulton County than it is in Cumming and Forsyth County (...violent home invasions and armed robberies are not an uncommon occurrence in the Camp Creek area of South Fulton County, particularly in the housing developments that are immediately close to and surround Camp Creek Marketplace...there are some robbery crews that specifically like to target and work the Camp Creek Marketplace area), there are many positives to living in the Camp Creek area, like:

> Closeness to the retail amenities at Camp Creek Marketplace (...Camp Creek Marketplace is almost literally right around-the-corner from Lakeside Preserve)...

> Being much closer to the world-leading Atlanta Airport than one would be in Cumming...

> Being much closer to the diverse and varied events and activities of the very active neighborhoods of ITP and Intown Atlanta.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:36 PM

16,644 posts, read 29,343,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Because of the difference in the quality of schools between the much more highly-regarded school system in Forsyth County and the much less-regarded schools in the Westlake High School cluster of Southwest Fulton County, I would have to recommend against you and your family relocating to the Camp Creek area, particularly if you have school-aged children.

If school-aged children were not involved and just the commute to and from your job in Midtown alone were the only concern, I might be able to support a possible move from Cumming and Forsyth County (which is home to some of the best schools in the state of Georgia) to the Camp Creek area of South Fulton County where the schools are generally nowhere near as highly-regarded as the schools are in an area like Forsyth County.

The thing that really makes me not be able to support the prospect of you moving your family to Lakeside Preserve at Camp Creek is that the local middle school for which the Lakeside Preserve development is zoned for (Camp Creek Middle School) only has a rating of 2 out of 10 on the Great Schools website.
Camp Creek Middle School - Atlanta, Georgia - GA - School overview

Now, I'm not saying that you should not move your family to the Lakeside Preserve at Camp Creek, but I cannot in good conscience recommend that anyone move their family into an area where the public schools are ranked so low and where the public schools have been known to have some safety problems at times (as is the case at Westlake High School which is the local high school that the area is zoned for).

Now obviously, not everyone who attends the schools in the Westlake High School cluster has problems (...for the record, Westlake High School fares much better in the Great Schools ratings with a rating of 6 out of 10)....But you should be aware that the schools in the area that you are considering moving your family to are nowhere near as highly regarded and as highly ranked as the schools most likely are in the area where you currently live at in Forsyth County.

(...Of the five current traditional high schools in Forsyth County, none have a rating lower than 8 on a scale of 10.)

Now if school-aged children are not involved, a possible move to the Camp Creek area of South Fulton County might not be such a bad move considering that you would be much closer to your job in Midtown and your church in College Park.

Though crime is much more of a concern in the Camp Creek area of South Fulton County than it is in Cumming and Forsyth County (...violent home invasions and armed robberies are not an uncommon occurrence in the Camp Creek area of South Fulton County, particularly in the housing developments that are immediately close to and surround Camp Creek Marketplace...there are some robbery crews that specifically like to target and work the Camp Creek Marketplace area), there are many positives to living in the Camp Creek area, like:

> Closeness to the retail amenities at Camp Creek Marketplace (...Camp Creek Marketplace is almost literally right around-the-corner from Lakeside Preserve)...

> Being much closer to the world-leading Atlanta Airport than one would be in Cumming...

> Being much closer to the diverse and varied events and activities of the very active neighborhoods of ITP and Intown Atlanta.

The OP should consider neighborhoods in the following districts in Smyrna/Mableton:

Nickajack
King Springs
Smyrna
Teasley
Mableton

Old 02-14-2015, 02:38 PM

16,644 posts, read 29,343,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
The OP should consider neighborhoods in the following districts in Smyrna/Mableton:

Nickajack
King Springs
Smyrna
Teasley
Mableton

http://www.cobbk12.org/centraloffice...Elementary.pdf

Old 02-14-2015, 07:56 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,711,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go falcons View Post
Why not look at other options that are closer on the the Southwest side like Fayetteville, Tyrone, Peachtree City?Not as bad a commute, crime or other issues that you face in the Camp Creek area and great schools.
I bet you can't give me any valid reason that supports any of this.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:06 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,372,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post

Though crime is much more of a concern in the Camp Creek area of South Fulton County than it is in Cumming and Forsyth County (...violent home invasions and armed robberies are not an uncommon occurrence in the Camp Creek area of South Fulton County, particularly in the housing developments that are immediately close to and surround Camp Creek Marketplace...there are some robbery crews that specifically like to target and work the Camp Creek Marketplace area

Do you have a source for this info? Could you link it please?

Old 02-15-2015, 06:00 PM

744 posts, read 2,473,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Yes I can. You can find the crime stats on sites like Zip skinny. You can find the school ratings on Great Schools and other State sites ( nearly all of the elementary schools in Peachtree City made the top 100 list of great schools in Georgia )Peachtree City's zip code is 30269, Fayetteville is 30214/15.
Also look at the list of foreclosures in the last 5 years .The Campcreek area wins that one hands down.
You can do your own research ,so have at it....

Last edited by go falcons; 02-15-2015 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 02-15-2015, 06:43 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,611,729 times
A commute from Cumming to College Park? DO NOT do this unless you want to live in your car. 2 hours *each way* with traffic, easy.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:45 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,611,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
.......you're kidding, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta