Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 01:28 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,450 times

Advertisements

After looking at all these model runs over the last couple of days, all I can say is that this event could be similar to February 11-13, 2014. Some snow to start, then the changeover to sleet and freezing rain - with huge ice accumulations - then back to snow at the end. Low snowfall amounts (~1-1.5" of snow), but high ice amounts (~.75" of ice). Still subject to change; the event is still 48 hours away, and the models have been hair-pullingly bad this winter.

Wherever you are Monday morning, you'll probably be there for much of the week. Prepare for power outages as well.

- skbl17
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 01:43 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
It was hardly a 'southern overreaction to some ice and a dusting of snow.'

The first storm last year was packed snow covered with a layer of ice, and more snow. I don't care where you are from, that crap is almost impossible to drive on.

And just so you know, they act the same way in D.C.
He/she had to throw the "southern" part in for good measure because, you know, everything up North is better. Er something... Don't you know that by now?

Northerners are always right. Apparently we are supposed to be impressed by their snow prowess. Of which they have a lot. Must be a badge of honor up there. Er something...

Old 02-14-2015, 01:45 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,935 times
Headed to ATL on Monday for a couple days...other than the NWS and NOAA, what is the best weather site that will talk in meteorological detail about the upcoming storm? In other words, from one weather geek to another, where do you follow weather in the The ATL?

Old 02-14-2015, 01:56 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
Some snow to start, then the changeover to sleet and freezing rain - with huge ice accumulations - then back to snow at the end. Low snowfall amounts (~1-1.5" of snow), but high ice amounts (~.75" of ice). Still subject to change; the event is still 48 hours away, and the models have been hair-pullingly bad this winter.
Yes, they've been horrid! The European and American models hardly ever agree on what's gonna happen until 12 hours before the storm hits.

Also, it's interesting to note that the temperature forecast have been trending colder and colder during and after the storm. It's beginning to look like we'll struggle to get above freezing for the 2 days after the storm, especially the northern areas of the metro, where there will be single-digit temps Wednesday and Thursday. I'm still trying to figure out what in the world is gonna happen Thursday night and Friday with the precip.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:06 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,450 times
Peachtree City just pulled the trigger on a winter storm watch (this is only the relevant text for the metro area, there's another one with higher amounts in far north Georgia):

Quote:
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA
352 PM EST SAT FEB 14 2015

GAZ019>025-027-030>039-041>055-057-150500-
/O.NEW.KFFC.WS.A.0001.150216T0600Z-150218T0000Z/
FLOYD-BARTOW-CHEROKEE-FORSYTH-HALL-BANKS-JACKSON-MADISON-POLK-
PAULDING-COBB-NORTH FULTON-GWINNETT-BARROW-CLARKE-OCONEE-
OGLETHORPE-WILKES-HARALSON-CARROLL-DOUGLAS-SOUTH FULTON-DEKALB-
ROCKDALE-WALTON-NEWTON-MORGAN-GREENE-TALIAFERRO-HEARD-COWETA-
FAYETTE-CLAYTON-HENRY-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ROME...CARTERSVILLE...GAINESVILLE...
MARIETTA...ATLANTA...LAWRENCEVILLE...ATHENS...CARR OLLTON...
DOUGLASVILLE...EAST POINT...DECATUR...CONYERS...COVINGTON...
NEWNAN...PEACHTREE CITY
352 PM EST SAT FEB 14 2015

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH
TUESDAY EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PEACHTREE CITY HAS ISSUED A
WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE SUNDAY NIGHT
THROUGH TUESDAY EVENING.

* LOCATIONS...PORTIONS OF NORTH GEORGIA...GENERALLY NORTH OF A
LINE FROM FRANKLIN TO STOCKBRIDGE TO WASHINGTON.

* HAZARD TYPES...A WINTRY MIX OF SNOW...SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN.

* ACCUMULATIONS...A TRACE OF SNOW AND/OR SLEET ON THE SOUTHERN
EDGE OF THE WATCH...WITH UP TO TWO INCHES OF SNOW AND SLEET ON
THE NORTH SIDE OF METRO ATLANTA. UP TO A QUARTER OF AN INCH OF
ICE IS POSSIBLE ACROSS THE WATCH AREA.

* TIMING...PRECIPITATION SHOULD BEGIN AS SNOW MONDAY MORNING...
TRANSITIONING TO A SNOW/SLEET MIX MONDAY EVENING...MIXING WITH
OR CHANGING OVER TO BRIEF FREEZING RAIN MONDAY NIGHT.
TEMPERATURES WILL WARM ON TUESDAY AND MOSTLY RAIN IS EXPECTED
TUESDAY AFTERNOON. AS THE SYSTEM MOVES OUT...LIGHT SNOW WILL
SPREAD ACROSS THE AREA TUESDAY EVENING.

* IMPACTS...ACCUMULATIONS OF SNOW...SLEET OR FREEZING RAIN MAY
RESULT IN SIGNIFICANT TRAVEL IMPACTS. SOME TREES AND POWER LINES
MAY BE DOWNED. RESIDENTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO STAY OFF THE ROADS.
BLACK ICE WILL LIKELY FORM AFTER THE PRECIPITATION ENDS TUESDAY
NIGHT...RESULTING IN CONTINUED TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES BEYOND THE
END OF THE WATCH PERIOD.

* TEMPERATURES...LOWS IN THE 20S MONDAY MORNING INCREASING TO THE
MID 30S MONDAY AFTERNOON. LOW TEMPERATURES MONDAY NIGHT AND
TUESDAY MORNING SHOULD DROP AGAIN TO NEAR FREEZING...WITH HIGHS
IN THE UPPER 30S TO LOWER 40S ON TUESDAY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT
SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.
CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

NOW IS THE TIME TO PREPARE FOR THIS WINTER STORM. BE SURE TO BUY
NON-PERISHABLE FOODS. MAKE CONTINGENCY PLANS IF YOU PLAN ON
TRAVELING DURING THIS PERIOD. IF YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR TRAVEL
PLANS...DO SO BEFORE THE EVENT STARTS. NOW IS THE TIME TO PLAN.
DO NOT WAIT FOR THE WARNING!

&&

$$

Old 02-14-2015, 03:38 PM

46 posts, read 68,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
He/she had to throw the "southern" part in for good measure because, you know, everything up North is better. Er something... Don't you know that by now?

Northerners are always right. Apparently we are supposed to be impressed by their snow prowess. Of which they have a lot. Must be a badge of honor up there. Er something...
Well let's be realistic here, if it snows in the north you're not going to have reporters out standing in the street reporting that snow is in fact sticking on the ground and not just the grass. That is going to be laughable to someone who is used to several inches/feet of snow.

Yes, the first ice storm last year was ridiculous in terms of timing and complete lack of preparedness and resources of both Atlanta and the suburbs. The second one was highly over prepared for and literally melted the next day by the afternoon.

However, watching news reporters during the second storm interview drivers out on the road who are out driving 'to see what it's like to drive on snow and ice' is just dumb. They're sliding around like a bunch of idiots.

So yes, I'm going to be highly amused by the southerners reaction to the once/twice a year snow/ice storm. "Er something."

Old 02-14-2015, 03:56 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreets6 View Post
So yes, I'm going to be highly amused by the southerners reaction to the once/twice a year snow/ice storm. "Er something."
Well, bless your heart! Hopefully your time here will be very brief, but pleasant.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:40 PM

283 posts, read 360,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreets6 View Post
Well let's be realistic here, if it snows in the north you're not going to have reporters out standing in the street reporting that snow is in fact sticking on the ground and not just the grass. That is going to be laughable to someone who is used to several inches/feet of snow.

Yes, the first ice storm last year was ridiculous in terms of timing and complete lack of preparedness and resources of both Atlanta and the suburbs. The second one was highly over prepared for and literally melted the next day by the afternoon.

However, watching news reporters during the second storm interview drivers out on the road who are out driving 'to see what it's like to drive on snow and ice' is just dumb. They're sliding around like a bunch of idiots.

I'm right there with you. I giggle whenever something like this happens. The sensationalism around it is amazing. And it boggles my mind that no one knows the least what to do if you happen to be driving. Really? Anyone who's had basic high school physics can figure out how to maneuver a car in ice and snow.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:11 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,994,056 times
No amount of maneuvering will get you up a hill though and we have a lot of those. Physics be telling me stay home.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:18 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrickNet View Post
I'm right there with you. I giggle whenever something like this happens. The sensationalism around it is amazing. And it boggles my mind that no one knows the least what to do if you happen to be driving. Really? Anyone who's had basic high school physics can figure out how to maneuver a car in ice and snow.
Bogus. I grew up in the northeast, didn't leave there until I was in my 40s. I have lots of experience driving in the snow. Nothing prepares you for ice covered roads. The people that scare me the most are those who scoff at our predicament of having a winter storm without the means to clear the thoroughfares, and think they'll teach us how to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta