U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2015, 10:14 PM

4 posts, read 5,673 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be moving to Atlanta and will be living alone with my large dog. I am currently looking at a place in the 30033 zip code area (specifically it looks like it is in Scottdale). It backs up onto the Washington Park Cemetery. Is this generally a safe area for a single female to live alone? Any suggestions on other places to look? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 09:32 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,106,957 times
I am not from the area. The only things family members have mentioned to me to avoid in the Scottsdale/ Clarkston area to avoid is Northern Avenue. The Northern Avenue corridor has been described to me as transient and high crime. Perhaps things have changed; the aunt who once lived off of East Ponce de Leon in a quaint mid-century neighborhood has moved to MUCH more expensive real estate near Northlake Mall. That was a couple of years ago; things really change quickly in the metro. Will some posters with more recent information please respond to this nice lady. I will also like to point out that my aunt loved the convenience of this area to 1. Nice parks in Avondale Estates where she could walk her dog or read in a swing by a lake, 2. shopping at North Dekalb Mall (hey, she is older and not exactly a fashion icon), 3. restaurants in downtown Decatur. 4. Access to the Avondale MARTA station. 5. Closeness to the Dekalb Farmer's Market. I say this because I wish to point out that there are many pluses to the Scottsdale location. The neighborhood my aunt once lived in she described as a "White Ghetto" in a cultural sense, not a high crime sense. There were many longtime homeowners and they were tight-knit. Her neighbors on either side actually kept up her yard to keep her in the neighborhood. So this is my tale of a single lady living in the Scottsdale/ Clarkston area. Good luck with your search.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:03 PM

262 posts, read 605,897 times
I live really close to that area as the crow flies. It's prooooobably fine, I know several families who live over there, but it's not the nicest pocket of streets in this area. If you give your budget and what you are looking for we could probably steer you towards some other options. Generally speaking, though, I love this area. It is convenient to downtown Decatur, Avondale Estates, MARTA, 285, and not too far from shopping (Toco, Northlake, Edgewood) and fun intown 'hoods like Virginia Highland, etc.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:26 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,198,957 times
So what I like to do is find the exact address on Google maps and then use the street view to poke around and see what Google caught as it was driving through. I've avoided some sketchy neighborhoods that way. lol

Old 02-18-2015, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the info everyone! I am considering buying, with my budget being in the $200,000-$225,000 range. Since it is just me, my only requirement is a fenced in patio and/or yard for my dog. I have identified a couple of condos/townhouses in the 30033 that look good, and are closer to Medlock park area. One is on Heritage Square, one on Williamsburg Drive, and the last on Kingstown Court. Besides the area they are in, is there a higher risk of burglary in a condo complex? I've heard they can be targets, which is why I was originally looking at houses, but the condos are really better for what I am looking for. Thanks!

Old 02-18-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
So what I like to do is find the exact address on Google maps and then use the street view to poke around and see what Google caught as it was driving through. I've avoided some sketchy neighborhoods that way. lol
Haha, I actually did this already

Old 02-21-2015, 11:16 PM

262 posts, read 605,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJAGB2012 View Post
Thanks for the info everyone! I am considering buying, with my budget being in the $200,000-$225,000 range. Since it is just me, my only requirement is a fenced in patio and/or yard for my dog. I have identified a couple of condos/townhouses in the 30033 that look good, and are closer to Medlock park area. One is on Heritage Square, one on Williamsburg Drive, and the last on Kingstown Court. Besides the area they are in, is there a higher risk of burglary in a condo complex? I've heard they can be targets, which is why I was originally looking at houses, but the condos are really better for what I am looking for. Thanks!
I'm not really sure about the burglary/condo thing. You may also want to look at Tuxworth Springs. I toured a few a while back for a family member. Same general area, really quite and they are gated. No fenced in yard but I think they have a little dog park area within the complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta