Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 08:30 AM
bu2

23,886 posts, read 14,684,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
On what land would they build such a thing. Not in Henry or Fayette, the gop would most certainly lose votes that way.
I would think Fayette would be the only issue. It could run just south of Fayette if they were firmly opposed. Fayette could really use it. You have to drive a long way to get to freeways through that county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 09:47 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,453,981 times
MARTA Extention into CLAYTON COUNTY, I-75 South Metro Rev. Toll Lanes, Porsche Plant, New Jobs in the Southlake Area, Im not suprised.... I can see Clayton County becoming the next Dekalb and Henry County the next Gwinnett easily. The signs are there

Old 02-19-2015, 11:09 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,239,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Marta rail is coming though, and eventually we'll have rail connecting Macon to Atlanta.
Yeah but the north side has been paying for several decades. I bet the north side gets rail twenty years or more ahead of a southern extension. I'd love to see several extensions start at the same time but it's much more necessary, and long overdue, on the north side.

There are probably four rail extensions that are more important than extending into Clayton.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:21 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,668,025 times
Speaking seriously, regardless of what anyone here may think is more important, a rail expansion into Clayton is a major part of the plan for MARTA expansion into that county & is further along in the earliest stages of planning than any other rail line expansion that I am aware of. The rail component was a major selling point that helped the recent Clayton MARTA referendum to pass w/ over 70% approval.
MARTA rail service into downtown Jonesboro is on the timetable for 2022 at this time. Hopefully I will be retired by that time so it won't come in time to benefit me for my daily commute into the COA but I'll use it after that point for other purposes which will keep me off of the roads.
Unfortunately for many far north Fulton areas and parts of northern Dekalb, there has long been a NIMBY attitude against rail that is a contributing reason as to why the current northside rail system is as limited as it is. The resistance has been multi-faceted in it's causes though.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:51 AM
bu2

23,886 posts, read 14,684,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Speaking seriously, regardless of what anyone here may think is more important, a rail expansion into Clayton is a major part of the plan for MARTA expansion into that county & is further along in the earliest stages of planning than any other rail line expansion that I am aware of. The rail component was a major selling point that helped the recent Clayton MARTA referendum to pass w/ over 70% approval.
MARTA rail service into downtown Jonesboro is on the timetable for 2022 at this time. Hopefully I will be retired by that time so it won't come in time to benefit me for my daily commute into the COA but I'll use it after that point for other purposes which will keep me off of the roads.
Unfortunately for many far north Fulton areas and parts of northern Dekalb, there has long been a NIMBY attitude against rail that is a contributing reason as to why the current northside rail system is as limited as it is. The resistance has been multi-faceted in it's causes though.
Its also planned as commuter rail as part of an eventual Atlanta-Macon-Savannah line.

I would prefer to see MARTA HRT into Clayton instead of a commuter stub, but it is part of a longer range plan that has a dual purpose.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:12 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,453,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post

I agree with you 100 percent. I can for some reason see light rail running to at least Jonesboro and Commuter rail Maybe a little further out into Henry County. Im pretty sure Marta will end up going with some kind of Light/Commuter Rail Mix to at least LoveJoy or Bus Rapid Transit, depending on Time Tables and what they can actually push through in a timely manner. Dont see a Heavy Rail expansion happening though, would take longer and cost more. As far as any kind of Commuter Rail to Macon, i dont see that any time in the foreseeable Future. It all has to do with politics and the way State Government feels about Transit. They have been talking about rail to Macon since the 90s.. Its gonna take a True State effort and i dont see that happening.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:28 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
MARTA Extention into CLAYTON COUNTY, I-75 South Metro Rev. Toll Lanes, Porsche Plant, New Jobs in the Southlake Area, Im not suprised.... I can see Clayton County becoming the next Dekalb and Henry County the next Gwinnett easily. The signs are there
You realize counties like Gwinnett are quickly nearing 900K. Clayton is probably somewhere near 270K at this point. Clayton has A LOT of ground to cover if it wishes to be the "next" Gwinnett.. and either way, why would it want to be? It needs to have its own identity and not make the same mistakes Gwinnett or DeKalb have.

Quote:
I agree with you 100 percent. I can for some reason see light rail running to at least Jonesboro and Commuter rail Maybe a little further out into Henry County. Im pretty sure Marta will end up going with some kind of Light/Commuter Rail Mix to at least LoveJoy or Bus Rapid Transit, depending on Time Tables and what they can actually push through in a timely manner. Dont see a Heavy Rail expansion happening though, would take longer and cost more. As far as any kind of Commuter Rail to Macon, i dont see that any time in the foreseeable Future. It all has to do with politics and the way State Government feels about Transit. They have been talking about rail to Macon since the 90s.. Its gonna take a True State effort and i dont see that happening.
Wouldn't Henry have to approve the MARTA tax... if it were LRT? Wouldn't LRT or HRT make more sense than CR, even to Henry? At least to the Atlanta Motor Speedway. Any further and CR would suffice.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:31 PM

10,347 posts, read 11,357,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
They can't continue building northeast and northwest.. and north in general forever. Well, I suppose they could up to the mountains, but lets all hope it never gets that out of hand. (as in full urbanization up to Dahlonega, Ellijay, Cleveland)
That's a good point that they can't continue building northeast and northwest forever.

...But don't put it past them to try and continue to building heavy development northeast and northwest out from Atlanta.

They had already starting putting up development in aforementioned far-flung mountainous Northside areas like Dahlonega and Ellijay and other areas mountainous and near-mountainous Northside areas like Jasper and Dawsonville before the economic downturn of the late 2000's-early 2010's and look to resume those very far-flung Northside exurban development patterns as the economy improves.

Increasingly very severe traffic congestion on major Northside radial routes like I-75/I-575, GA 400 and I-85/I-985/GA 316 has obviously taken much of the luster off of the far-flung exurban Northside lifestyle, particularly for those who work in major urban core job centers like Downtown, Midtown and Buckhead even Perimeter Center and Cumberland.

Because increasingly severe traffic congestion on the aforementioned major Northside radial routes has made the far-flung exurban Northside lifestyle far less appealing than in years and decades past, expect real estate developers to increasingly demand that state officials find a way to extend high-capacity passenger rail service (regional commuter rail service) out to aforementioned far-flung areas around the north side of the region like Jasper, Ellijay, Dawsonville and Dahlonega as well as outlying areas like Cartersville, Athens, Gainesville and beyond.

...Expect real estate developers to increasingly demand the extension of high-capacity passenger rail service out to those far-flung Northside exurban areas so that those far-flung exurban Northside areas remain viable as the severe traffic congestion continues to worsen on the radial routes that serve those areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
There is already growth on the south side of town, but I'm not sure it will take off like it did on the north side in the 90s.
I agree that the Southside will likely never match the Northside with the intensity of heavy development (and overdevelopment).

Though, I do also agree with the assessment that the Southside is poised to experience some very heavy growth in light of continued worsening severe traffic congestion, overcrowding and rising real estate prices on the Northside.

Though there is some serious concern about the worsening traffic congestion on the portion of I-75 that runs through Henry County, the Southside will flourish and prosper (mostly) as a less-expensive, less-congested and less-crowded alternative to the more expensive, much more severely-congested and much more severely-crowded Northside.

The Southside will also particularly flourish and prosper because of its much closer location and relatively much easier access to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.

The Southside has a lot of growth potential that seems like it is just now starting to be fully realized....Growth potential that the Southside has had for a long time but is only just now starting to be realized because of the severe overcrowding (and lack of transit options) on the much more heavily populated and heavily developed Northside.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:35 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,372,080 times
Quote:

I was at this conference that Doug Hooker spoke at yesterday. Eldrin Bell rabble-roused a gentleman from GDOT and a gentleman from Henry County Chamber of Commerce about when they were going to let right-rail into Henry. They completely avoided the question.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:51 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
I was at this conference that Doug Hooker spoke at yesterday. Eldrin Bell rabble-roused a gentleman from GDOT and a gentleman from Henry County Chamber of Commerce about when they were going to let right-rail into Henry. They completely avoided the question.
GDOT and the Henry Chamber avoided the question? Not surprising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta