Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 07:07 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Some people have them as pets. My young daughter has held one on a couple of different occasions.
But what if one of them got under your sheets and you inadvertently stuck your feet down there and poked him hard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 07:49 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
But what if one of them got under your sheets and you inadvertently stuck your feet down there and poked him hard?
Even wikipedia has a good article about tarantulas, a quick read should set anyone's mind at ease about them.

Since they primarily use their hairs to detect movement and vibration, it would know your every action and location before your foot even approached where it was hiding and would accordingly get out of the way.

I didn't realize that initially to deter threats, they can throw stiffer hairs or bristles from their bodies that are quite irritating. Biting is only a last resort if there are no means of escape. Even then, just a cold compress will soothe the bite unless you have an allergic reaction.

Also, anything that eats roaches is fine with me.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:11 PM

I would still prefer not to have them living in my house.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:57 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,216 times
If I woke up in the middle of the night and found one on me, I'd hope my BF would grt it off but the major task would be to call 911 because I'd probably have a heart attack. I do not care that they may not have deadly venom, but I find then creepy.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:40 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Quote:
If they found tarantulas under my house, I would have to move out. Immediately!
Sorry to be the one to tell you this, but....

Tarantulas are actually relatively harmless, most species can't deliver a bite that is more serious than a bee sting. They're also docile spiders that are unlikely to bite unless you picked one up or accidentally stepped on one.

However, black widows are much more venomous, and if you get bitten you almost definitely have to be admitted to the hospital. And I'd be willing to bet that if you have a crawl space, you have at least one or two black widows somewhere under there!

Old 02-25-2015, 10:29 AM

How far can they jump, 8 or 10 feet?

Old 02-25-2015, 11:02 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
One of my sons spent the summer in Costa Rica doing research. He shared his space with a tarantula all summer. He figured as long as it stayed in it's corner of the ceiling where he found it, they would cohabitate just fine. And they did. Which is not to say I would be willing to do so, but they aren't terribly dangerous.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:20 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,858,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

Tarantulas are actually relatively harmless, most species can't deliver a bite that is more serious than a bee sting. They're also docile spiders that are unlikely to bite unless you picked one up or accidentally stepped on one.

However, black widows are much more venomous, and if you get bitten you almost definitely have to be admitted to the hospital. And I'd be willing to bet that if you have a crawl space, you have at least one or two black widows somewhere under there!
Doesn't matter. They could be sweet as a kitten and I would still be completely freaked out by them. It's a primal instinct. I am totally phobic of those big creepy, hairy things. They are the stuff of nightmares IMHO.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:29 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,425,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If these tarantulas in Cobb get out could they spread all over the ATL?
Please step away from the computer and put the pipe down.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:22 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,024 times
We had black widows in our rose bushes (IN FULTON COUNTY) behind the house and a brown recluse was discovered in the garage. Smh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta