U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 08:07 PM

7 posts, read 5,851 times

Advertisements

Hey folks just wanted to update and thank everyone for their help. We ended up staying at the Drury Inn in Marietta for 3 days and had a wonderful time. Made it to the Aquarium and spent 2 days driving around Marietta and Smyrna looking for homes.

Other than getting caught in Thursday afternoon traffic coming out of the city back to the Hotel it was everything we hoped for and the traffic wasn't all that bad, I'm glad we experienced it so we have a reference.

Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 06:33 AM

1,062 posts, read 689,947 times
You are most welcome, of course! Let us know if you found a good house or neighborhood!

Old 04-05-2015, 07:34 AM

Default Wondering about a Denver Comparison

So after getting home last night my wife and I were talking and we wanted to reach out and see if there was anyone who could give us a comparison (if there are any) with neighborhoods we are familiar with in Denver.

In Denver we really liked the Wash Park/DU or Highlands area. The closest thing I saw in the Atlanta area was Decatur but that is out of our price range.

We are a new family with a 1 year old and like to be in walking distance of shops and restaurants with the usual safety concerns that come with having a new family.

We loved Smyrna and Marietta but they have a more suburban feel. Is this something we just aren't going to find (or be able to afford) in Atlanta?

Thanks again for all the help.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:32 AM

1,062 posts, read 689,947 times
I don't know Denver at all, I'm afraid... Haven't been there since I was 7!

The closest thing, feel-wise, to downtown Decatur is downtown Marietta, around the Square. I know you said you visited Marietta, but many areas of Cobb County that have Marietta street addresses aren't actually within the city limits. Did you look at the area around the Square itself? Tons of shops and restaurants, with new ones coming every month, a great art deco theater and one of the largest weekend farmer's markets in the region. It is certainly a suburb, but has very much of a small city vibe. It is less cutting edge than Decatur, to be sure, but still pretty fantastic. And real estate is relatively affordable, with several new construction developments near the Square with homes starting around 2000 SF in the low 300s.

There are also areas in the City of Atlanta itself that would have some of what you're looking for - though none as well developed as Decatur - but you're not likely to find a lot of desirable inventory in the 300k range. Inman Park and Grant Park come to mind, but again, they're no longer very affordable, and they don't have the town square feel that you get in downtown Decatur and Marietta.

Best of luck, and let us know what you find!

Old 04-05-2015, 10:43 AM

Evannole that is exactly what I'm talking about, I re-read my post and realized I didn't mention we looked around the square, I was wondering if there was any other place lake that and Decatur.

Thanks again for the great information. Right now our biggest stopper is that we have 3 dogs so renting is a challenge. I will keep you all posted as we get closer.

Thanks

Old 04-06-2015, 03:47 PM

89 posts, read 65,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cblythe319 View Post
Evannole that is exactly what I'm talking about, I re-read my post and realized I didn't mention we looked around the square, I was wondering if there was any other place lake that and Decatur.

Thanks again for the great information. Right now our biggest stopper is that we have 3 dogs so renting is a challenge. I will keep you all posted as we get closer.

Thanks
Im actually in a similar situation. Boyfriend opened a business in Atlanta and we soon too will be making the same move. Currently in Germantown TN. My daughter is currently in a great K-8 public elementary school. My only issue is the Atlanta public schools. Im not seeing very many good schools. From the looks of it private school would be my best bet. Boyfriend wants to live somewhat close to downtown. Me not so much. Its way to pricey and dangerous. We also have a dog. I wish you and your family the best of luck.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:24 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,255,280 times
There are many fantastic schools in the City of Atlanta. Especially on the north and east sides. Of course budget may be the real problem: pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or