U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2015, 11:31 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,856,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Zip codes don't mean much. Cumberland has an Atlanta zip code, as do areas in perimeter center.
Well do the people that live in those places vote for an Atlanta government?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 11:37 AM

446 posts, read 505,266 times
AJC has got at the 4 of 5 core counties of metro atlanta. Cobb story will be different but more similar to Gwinnett's when they was catching hell from AJC.

I'm sorry i dont go by school ratings from nobody. Each student will have a different experience with the school and teachers. I graduated from the great marietta high school and it was a bunch of BS going on at the school with admin and teachers. School ratings doesnt guarantee your child will suceed in college military or whatever they choose after high school. I know plenty people that graduated at the top of they class in high school at the best high schools across metro atl and not doing anything but they brag about they high school being the best

Old 03-03-2015, 11:45 AM

4,994 posts, read 3,474,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
No. They are not part of the City of Atlanta.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:54 AM

1,840 posts, read 1,252,650 times
The earlier poster is correct; crossing Moreland/Briarcliff = Dekalb County. Places like Candler Park, Edgewood, Kirkwood, Eastlake, City of Atlanta side of Druid Hills, etc are usually called, "Atlanta in Dekalb". Places like Toco Hills, the western section of the Northlake area, etc have Atlanta addresses, but are not in the city. There are many Atlanta adjacent places with an Atlanta address while not in the City: Vinings, Cumberland Mall, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, even in the Tri-cities area (Hapeville, East Point, and College Park) can use Atlanta addresses because their zip codes begin with 303's. What I can't figure out is why people here act like having a city's address when you are unincorporated is unusual: Here in Clayton County well over 100,000 people have a Jonesboro address even though the city of Jonesboro only has a little over 3,000 people; In South Fulton many rural feeling parts of the county have a College Park address even though they are MILES from College Park, the rest of uniincorporated South Fulton is called Fairburn (along with adjacent parts of Northwest Fayette County); in Dekalb huge swatches of the unincorporated county are called, "Decatur" even though they are no where near the City of Decatur; in Cobb County the plurality of unincorporated East Cobb has a Marietta address (other parts have Roswell or even Sandy Springs/ Atlanta) along with much of unincorporated West Cobb; I even know people who live in the City of Stockbridge in Henry County but have a McDonough address! I have given all of these examples because a frustrating amount of people on hear act as though it is a great shock that unincorporated areas could have an Atlanta address when that is the case for the majority of Metro-Atlanta.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:17 PM

1,947 posts, read 1,637,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The comment referred to almost all of DeKalb County being "ghetto." Those areas haven't seceded and joined Gwinnet or Fulton.

And LaVista Park, Toco Hills, Druid Hills, Medlock, Laurel Ridge, Northlake....none of those are run down impoverished areas.

I have never referred to any part of Dekalb County as ghetto--(maybe I am dancing around it, or maybe I just feel it has a stronger negative connotation than other folks, so I don't throw the term around.) But, the area I referenced is where we lived from about 2000-2005, it was not "ghetto" then, and I don't think it is ghetto now. We had minimal crime and we got along with our neighbors. But, the schools were bad, the neighborhood pool closed for lack of support, the nearby shopping and resturants were poor, and you could not go to the drugstore without someone asking you for money (and it always felt like things were getting worse). We moved because of a change in jobs, and luckily avoided the real estate crash that continues to hurt so many of our old neigbors.
As far as the specifics of your response-- You stated in response to a poster that his description of a rundown Dekalb might be accurate south of Memorial --but that was it, and I noted that your "south of Memorial", is now more like "south of the Stone Mountain Freeway". That is at least 2/3 of unincorporated Dekalb County--if the annexations/new cities go through, it will be more than 75%. You listed the "good parts" of Dekalb County, which I found ironic, because they were almost all incorporated. Now you list the fraction of Dekalb County that you think is good, and is (currently) unincorporated--but, as noted above, it really isn't that much of unincorporated Dekalb County, and only is getting smaller.
As far as the Dekalb leadership goes, I believe that (at best) they continue to fight the "last war" instead of dealing with current problems. --While Atlanta's school system is fighting to "keep Millennials", the Dekalb Superintendent sees his fight against the Druid Hills Charter as another "Selma." I won't say that it is not understandable--the way school integration was handled in Dekalb left a lot of scars, and continues to affect the way folks think now. But, "understandable" bad decisions are still "bad decisions", and people will continue to run from them.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:07 PM

22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Quote:
No.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:47 PM
bu2

8,968 posts, read 5,658,755 times
@jeoff
This post (not yours) was what I was initially responding to. It was talking about the whole county. It wasn't a city/unincorporated issue. And it was a gross exaggeration.

Dekalb is essentially the next Clayton. Clayton is slowly getting it's act together. Dekalb has seen little to no advancement in over a decade. This is economically and academically. Essentially most of the county is a ghetto with some wealthy enclaves here and there scattered. Lithonia and Stone Mountain used to be middle class and very nice. I remember when people told me when my parents first moved here that "Water's Edge" was an extremely nice subdivision in Stone Mountain/Lithonia. Stone crest Mall was once a nice mall, but now, it hardly has any stores worth note, has no Apple Store(which IMO is how you judge how great a mall is), and the stores are of the typical variety. They even had to put a ban on teenager after a certain time because the crime was high.

Even the Black Middle class is slowly packing their bags and leaving the county

Old 03-03-2015, 01:56 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,006,935 times
Quote:
Why stop at the city of Atlanta or Dekalb County.
Why ignore Gwinnet?
Gwinnett sheriff defends county in wake of corruption... | www.wsbradio.com

Seems to me you "truth" is very selective.....
Good point, that's another reason I would never live in Gweee Net....toss them in too.......Cobb is edging up....only a matter of time. They just can't quite take it to the level of DeKalb though...c'mon...compare the two....not even close.

Gweeee net has a tax base and it's growing.....DeKalb has a shrinking tax base and a lot of low income...and IT's growing....you choose.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:05 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,006,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The problem is hardly limited to DeKalb and Atlanta, Caleb.

Three Gwinnett commissioners have resigned in recent years -- one after he was indicted on bribery charges, the second to avoid a perjury charge and the third plead guilty to bribery and other charges.

Gwinnett Is Great (If You've Paid Off The Right People) - Peach Pundit

And don't forget this one...Former Forsyth Commissioner charged with brandishing gun to prevent repo of Hummer. Former Forsyth Co. commissioner charged | AccessNorthGa

Or these:

Former Douglas Co. Commissioner indicted for Forgery | www.wsbradio.com

Former Cobb EMC chief re-indicted on theft, racketeering | www.ajc.com

Cherokee County commissioner arrested on drug charges

etc., etc.

Arjay,

Gwinnett has long been a standing joke about County Commission Corruption. However, they don't seem to shoot their sheriff elects and I haven't seen a CEO of the County get sacked or the leader of the school system get caught in a cheating scandal.

But, Arjay. REALLY. Are you going to try and compare the malfeasance and crime rate and shenanigans of DeKalb and the City of Atlanta with Gwinnett and Forsyth??? C'mon Arjay, I KNOW you know better than that. It's not even a contest. Have you seen the business growth (good or bad) in Gwinnett? Have you seen the same in Atlanta or DeKalb?

Check it out. Using a classic Businesswise tool that is available to almost all sales forces. Downtown Atlanta has about 880 large businesses. Quite a few law firms, government, and accounting interests. Now, contrast that with the growth in those other areas.

But, we are talking about corruption. Most folks are basically looking the other way as to how things like Marta, the Airport, the City, Fulton and DeKalb County are run. Why? Because if you even BEGIN to contest, the race card is tossed out in the opening round. Has nothing to do with how businesses and governments are run.

That my friend is where the corruption starts. Then it quickly becomes a free-for-all for whatever friends of the firm can grab. Isolated entirely to these two areas? No. But, tell me how well, financially, DeKalb, the City of Atlanta, and Clayton County are doing compared to Gwinnett, Forsyth, North Fulton, and Cobb. Sandy Springs and Cumberland (30339 THE largest home of businesses in the city) are in that mix as well.

Accident? Why is DeKalb struggling so much these last 10-15 years? They, like clayton, are poorly run and the chickens are coming home to roost. It's no wonder those 8 schools wanted to break away with a 40 million dollar budget. Those tax payers saw improvements in schools. The county, saw 40 million to be squandered.

Wasn't it DeKalb that got nailed for NOT being able to explain where 40 million in tax payer dollars went a few years ago? Google it. Are any other counties guilty of the same? I don't think so.

It's time someone put their house in order.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:56 PM
bu2

8,968 posts, read 5,658,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Arjay,

Gwinnett has long been a standing joke about County Commission Corruption. However, they don't seem to shoot their sheriff elects and I haven't seen a CEO of the County get sacked or the leader of the school system get caught in a cheating scandal.

But, Arjay. REALLY. Are you going to try and compare the malfeasance and crime rate and shenanigans of DeKalb and the City of Atlanta with Gwinnett and Forsyth??? C'mon Arjay, I KNOW you know better than that. It's not even a contest. Have you seen the business growth (good or bad) in Gwinnett? Have you seen the same in Atlanta or DeKalb?

Check it out. Using a classic Businesswise tool that is available to almost all sales forces. Downtown Atlanta has about 880 large businesses. Quite a few law firms, government, and accounting interests. Now, contrast that with the growth in those other areas.

But, we are talking about corruption. Most folks are basically looking the other way as to how things like Marta, the Airport, the City, Fulton and DeKalb County are run. Why? Because if you even BEGIN to contest, the race card is tossed out in the opening round. Has nothing to do with how businesses and governments are run.

That my friend is where the corruption starts. Then it quickly becomes a free-for-all for whatever friends of the firm can grab. Isolated entirely to these two areas? No. But, tell me how well, financially, DeKalb, the City of Atlanta, and Clayton County are doing compared to Gwinnett, Forsyth, North Fulton, and Cobb. Sandy Springs and Cumberland (30339 THE largest home of businesses in the city) are in that mix as well.

Accident? Why is DeKalb struggling so much these last 10-15 years? They, like clayton, are poorly run and the chickens are coming home to roost. It's no wonder those 8 schools wanted to break away with a 40 million dollar budget. Those tax payers saw improvements in schools. The county, saw 40 million to be squandered.

Wasn't it DeKalb that got nailed for NOT being able to explain where 40 million in tax payer dollars went a few years ago? Google it. Are any other counties guilty of the same? I don't think so.

It's time someone put their house in order.
Southern Gwinnet is starting to age and decline. Gwinnet is really not the place to be throwing rocks from unless you are only talking about the quality of the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or