U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 08:38 PM

28,109 posts, read 24,632,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Arjay,

Gwinnett has long been a standing joke about County Commission Corruption. However, they don't seem to shoot their sheriff elects and I haven't seen a CEO of the County get sacked or the leader of the school system get caught in a cheating scandal.

But, Arjay. REALLY. Are you going to try and compare the malfeasance and crime rate and shenanigans of DeKalb and the City of Atlanta with Gwinnett and Forsyth???
Why not compare them? Gwinnett has had three commissioners caught in major scandal.

As far as business growth, there's no doubt that the suburban counties have been booming. But so has the city of Atlanta. Take the three major intown employment centers, downtown, Midtown and Buckhead. That's 75 million square feet of office space. Throw in the world's busiest airport, one of the few heavy rail systems in the country, a massive conglomeration of freeways, a few major universities, some of the region's most desirable schools and neighborhoods, major art and convention centers, the biggest hotels, pro sports, etc., etc., etc.

It ain't exactly chopped liver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 09:09 PM

4,644 posts, read 3,012,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Why not compare them? Gwinnett has had three commissioners caught in major scandal.

As far as business growth, there's no doubt that the suburban counties have been booming. But so has the city of Atlanta. Take the three major intown employment centers, downtown, Midtown and Buckhead. That's 75 million square feet of office space. Throw in the world's busiest airport, one of the few heavy rail systems in the country, a massive conglomeration of freeways, a few major universities, some of the region's most desirable schools and neighborhoods, major art and convention centers, the biggest hotels, pro sports, etc., etc., etc.

It ain't exactly chopped liver.
Bravo, arjay!

Old 03-04-2015, 06:03 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,856,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
So like servpro? Like it never ever happened....right, got it...check.
Better yet how is it relevant today?When change has truly occurred why not embrace the positves.

Atlanta has a balanced budget,its credit ratinig is up,crime is lowest its been in decades and people are moving into the city instead of fleeing.

Why dwell on something that occurred 20 years ago.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:33 AM

4,995 posts, read 3,474,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Why dwell on something that occurred 20 years ago.
Because it fits a narrative.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:54 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,113,545 times
Yeah the narrative being that we should only focus on the flaws of the political leadership from the opposition.

A real traditional favorite activity here in the south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Because it fits a narrative.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:21 AM

2,300 posts, read 1,418,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
There's been some controversy on the latest set of concession contracts as well. And the stuff from early in Reed's term had to be re-let because of improprieties in the bidding process.

Also the water department is currently under investigation for millions of missing equipment. Pretty sure there's been something else in city of Atlanta government I read in the AJC in the last 2 weeks, but I don't remember what it was. There's too much to keep track.
The only controversy in the case of HJAIA is there were a number of black small contractors awarded the contracts. I remember that (non) "story". Channel 2 would drum up enough controversy of a commode flushing if it was a slow news day.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:15 PM

4,941 posts, read 3,989,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
Agreed. I actually think we need some kind of minimum population or size threshold to enable an area to qualify as a county. Sometimes, when I look at the map of the State of Georgia and see all those counties, I wonder, "Why?"

Did you know that we have the second largest number of counties in the United States, at 159? That's second to Texas's 248, and yet, the overall county size in Texas is larger than that of Georgia counties.

It's an issue I wish the General Assembly would consider. Instead of keeping themselves busy with all this "cityhood" stuff, why not debate wide-sweeping local government reform? County mergers, the powers a county can have vs. a city, school districts, special bodies (i.e. transit authorities), and so on.

- skbl17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Texas has about 5 times the area, but barely 1.5 times more counties. The real telling number is that 3rd place (Kentucky) only has 120 counties.

Consolidation is most needed in the rural areas. You don't need to be able to ride your horse to the county seat anymore. There's a vast amount of waste with the services in all these lightly populated counties.
Agreed. I would like to see a state resolution passed that allows two or more adjoining counties to merge into one, if a majority of voters in all counties in the merger approve an identical referendum. Ex., Fulton and DeKalb could merge into one (although that might cause mass hysteria in North Fulton!); Paulding, Douglas, and Cobb could all combine, etc. As a concession to public servants whose jobs might be endangered, they could be guaranteed priority for jobs in the new, larger counties.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:37 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,252,650 times
I like our quaint small counties here in the Peach state. The one large county in Metro Atlanta, Fulton (a Great Depression Era combination of Campbell County, South Fulton; Fulton County, College Park to Sandy Springs; and Milton County, Alpharetta with a slice of Roswell from the original Dekalb County) has been a travesty for all to see with the political infighting and so many new municipalities. Perhaps we should go the opposite way and restore everything to how it was pre- 1933 including sending most of Roswell back to Dekalb County. Hey, that is some interesting food for thought. What do y'all think?

Old 03-04-2015, 04:57 PM

4,995 posts, read 3,474,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Perhaps we should go the opposite way and restore everything to how it was pre- 1933 including sending most of Roswell back to Dekalb County. Hey, that is some interesting food for thought. What do y'all think?
Roswell was in Cobb County.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:20 PM

28,109 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
I like our quaint small counties here in the Peach state. The one large county in Metro Atlanta, Fulton (a Great Depression Era combination of Campbell County, South Fulton; Fulton County, College Park to Sandy Springs; and Milton County, Alpharetta with a slice of Roswell from the original Dekalb County) has been a travesty for all to see with the political infighting and so many new municipalities. Perhaps we should go the opposite way and restore everything to how it was pre- 1933 including sending most of Roswell back to Dekalb County. Hey, that is some interesting food for thought. What do y'all think?
I am okay with them too and don't understand all the fuss about too many counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or