Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 04:36 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,618 times

Advertisements

Scrambling for lifeboats as DeKalb sinks | www.myajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 07:59 AM

446 posts, read 678,278 times
I don't know I feel the story us reaching but I have lived in dekalb before and other counties around metro Atlanta but hey what do I know

Old 03-02-2015, 08:12 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,205 times
“the heck with people left behind.” quote would be a lot more damning, if the leadership did not insist on continuing with the exact same actions that caused the "ship" to start sinking in the first place.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:39 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
Chickens are coming home to roost. What's worse? Atlanta's School System of cheaters and bloated whales waiting to retire or, the CEO of DeKalb and his trial coupled with a shooting of a sheriff elect by his competition? Hey, why isn't there a holiday for Derwin Brown? After all, he was assassinated too or, is that something the AJC is relieved they never had to dwell on? Hmmmmmmmmm.....

You an take the ***** on the right or the ***** on the left. Choose. Sounds more like rearranging furniture on the Titanic? Until certain "factions" of each area learn that having somebody OTHER than what they have today, on the board(s), it will be more of the same.

Sharks waiting to carve up that county and city budget for their own personal gain. While everyone may fawn over the Atlanta Mayor and his choice of vehicles (instead of the sensible Ford Expeditions) one could argue that he is the best in this roost but that roost, either side, is in a real mess.

Not sure what would be worse, sending my kids to DeKalb or sending them to Atlanta Public Schools. Kind of amusing at 10,000 feet. And that's just the beginning. Imagine what else they are doing with all those dollars. Does any kid stand a chance?

In the end, Atlanta will get the nod as DeKalb County is so f'd up now it's impossible to put this Humpty Dumpty back together. Hard to believe how beautiful this county was back in the 80's and see it today. Can you even begin to imagine the melee that will ensue once it's "decided" that DeKalb has to surrender to Atlanta? It's so bad now it's like expecting the Atlanta Falcons "Fans" to show up against Green Bay. Most just sit at home and watch it on the tube. Pass the peanuts and skip the exercise.

DeKalb is a glorified social project that is foundering on the shoals. Perhaps the management of DeKalb would/could do the right thing and reach out for help. But, then again, these are county folks. And without guarantees on their climbing pensions, that ain't going to happen. They are there until the ship breaks apart and even then, will be filing pension claims until the last minute to squeeze every drop of financial blood from a ship in severe trouble all the while pointing the finger at Selma, the city, mookie, bing and zippy, and when all else fails, the race card. That trusty ol' standby that everyone has to pay credence too even when it has absolutely nothing to do with the issue at hand.

If it's truly like Selma, the US government should step in. Between Sherriff elects getting gunned down and CEO Burris getting busted, maybe it's time to try a gentler, less violent crew, and let THEM run it? Can it get anymore corrupt? It's run like Marta used to be. Political favors to friends and families, cousins, distant relatives, bribes, etc....the usual fare when kids get their hands on the loot. There must be more money to steal from the county than I ever could have imagined to live long enough to see a Sherriff Elect get gunned down along with a overtly corrupt CEO. If Marion Barry were alive he might do a better job. Wow. Is that saying something or what. At the very least, he'd be more poplular. Bet.

Do this long enough and even MSNBC will capitulate and have to weigh-in and you know them, they'll bring that Chris Matthews in to put a positive spin on it when he isn't busy kissing the President's a$$ "Live". However, most people know Chris is a rube for the left and even he can't polish this turd. What was it, like 30 years? Now look at DeKalb.

Funny thing, when this kind of thing happens, it speeds up exponentially. Truly a snowball running downhill. What it will smash into is anyone's guess but, you can bet Atlanta will spend a great deal of time finger pointing to the former regimes as they try to clean it up. Should be a hoot.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:22 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
“the heck with people left behind.” quote would be a lot more damning, if the leadership did not insist on continuing with the exact same actions that caused the "ship" to start sinking in the first place.
This. I don't see DeKalb County's government "smartening up" in the foreseeable future.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:57 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Dekalb is essentially the next Clayton. Clayton is slowly getting it's act together. Dekalb has seen little to no advancement in over a decade. This is economically and academically. Essentially most of the county is a ghetto with some wealthy enclaves here and there scattered. Lithonia and Stone Mountain used to be middle class and very nice. I remember when people told me when my parents first moved here that "Water's Edge" was an extremely nice subdivision in Stone Mountain/Lithonia. Stone crest Mall was once a nice mall, but now, it hardly has any stores worth note, has no Apple Store(which IMO is how you judge how great a mall is), and the stores are of the typical variety. They even had to put a ban on teenager after a certain time because the crime was high.

Even the Black Middle class is slowly packing their bags and leaving the county.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:01 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Chickens are coming home to roost.
You an take the ***** on the right or the ***** on the left.
rearranging furniture on the Titanic
Kind of amusing at 10,000 feet.
put this Humpty Dumpty back together.
Pass the peanuts and skip the exercise.
Truly a snowball running downhill.
Impressive use of figures of speech to fill in the gaps between your ramblings.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:38 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Impressive use of figures of speech to fill in the gaps between your ramblings.
I wonder what the * stand for, but I have a hunch...

Old 03-02-2015, 12:08 PM
bu2

24,104 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Dekalb is essentially the next Clayton. Clayton is slowly getting it's act together. Dekalb has seen little to no advancement in over a decade. This is economically and academically. Essentially most of the county is a ghetto with some wealthy enclaves here and there scattered. Lithonia and Stone Mountain used to be middle class and very nice. I remember when people told me when my parents first moved here that "Water's Edge" was an extremely nice subdivision in Stone Mountain/Lithonia. Stone crest Mall was once a nice mall, but now, it hardly has any stores worth note, has no Apple Store(which IMO is how you judge how great a mall is), and the stores are of the typical variety. They even had to put a ban on teenager after a certain time because the crime was high.

Even the Black Middle class is slowly packing their bags and leaving the county.
You don't seem too familiar with the county. Now maybe south of Memorial Drive your description fits, but not north of there.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:45 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
You don't seem too familiar with the county. Now maybe south of Memorial Drive your description fits, but not north of there.
South of Memorial Drive has moved up to south of the Stone Mountain Freeway. Jolly Elementary, Hambrick, Idelwood, Stone Mill--say what you want about school ratings--all score a 1 or a 2 on Great Schools--sort of hard to say that's good (or even average).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta