U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 06:56 PM

12,951 posts, read 21,063,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
These people just don't like the fact that their wannabe East Cobb area has the address of "Cumming."

For more than one reason...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
So, you are making the proposition, that if they are no longer Cumming, the population growth would limit itself. Hmmmm.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
I actually live in Suwanee and the area covering Sharon Springs have Cumming, Suwanee, Duluth and Alpharetta mailing addresses but, yes, one of the reasons we are incorporating is to have an identity that is one in the same. Please visit our page Sharon Springs Alliance - New City in Forsyth County to get educated instead of making stupid remarks. We are organized, educated and motivated. We want to keep where we live a great place to live.

Lady Buffalo...

Sometimes some of us like to have a little harmless fun on here...that's all. Chill.

I actually think Sharon Springs is a decent idea. I wonder if southwestern+western Forsyth County will eventually follow y'all's lead and try to incorporate as "Vickery Creek"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 06:25 AM

455 posts, read 969,898 times
Hi there Aries,

I do believe there is definitely interest in the southwest side of the county doing the same. I think they are watching to see what happens with us first but they are right behind us and have much more open space than we do to protect.

FlyonPA and Wilful, as far as the school overcrowding issue, it is true that the schools are countywide and will be zoned across Sharon Springs lines. All we can do is try to limit the high density in our area and I think the incorporation will send a big message to our BOC and other residents outside of Sharon Springs to get more involved and protest the high density as we have.

I don't have all of the answers but there are 4 main people who started this all and I'm know that if you left questions for them on the Sharon Springs Alliance FB page, they will answer them.

Thanks!

Lady Buffalo

PS Believe me when I tell you the people in "Cumming" will be thrilled not to have that address any longer!

PPS Have you all been following what's been actually happening in the city of Cumming? The FBI is now involved in the Mayor providing free health insurance for his longtime girlfriend and city attorney, neither of which are full time employees of the city. It's a mess!

Old 03-05-2015, 05:14 PM

5,776 posts, read 6,503,065 times
Quote:
These people just don't like the fact that their wannabe East Cobb area ...
Don't know what you're talking about. I've never heard any South Forsyth County resident express an interest in this area being similar to East Cobb. East Cobb has worse traffic than South Forsyth and fewer amenities!

Old 03-05-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Don't know what you're talking about. I've never heard any South Forsyth County resident express an interest in this area being similar to East Cobb. East Cobb has worse traffic than South Forsyth and fewer amenities!

Don't be silly...

Everyone wishes they were East Cobb and an East Cobber.

(But seriously though --> the traffic in East Cobb is not worse than South Forsyth...and it definitely does not have fewer amenities. Have you ever been to fashionable East Cobb? )

Old 03-05-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
Hi there Aries,

I do believe there is definitely interest in the southwest side of the county doing the same. I think they are watching to see what happens with us first but they are right behind us and have much more open space than we do to protect.

FlyonPA and Wilful, as far as the school overcrowding issue, it is true that the schools are countywide and will be zoned across Sharon Springs lines. All we can do is try to limit the high density in our area and I think the incorporation will send a big message to our BOC and other residents outside of Sharon Springs to get more involved and protest the high density as we have.

I don't have all of the answers but there are 4 main people who started this all and I'm know that if you left questions for them on the Sharon Springs Alliance FB page, they will answer them.

Thanks!

Lady Buffalo

PS Believe me when I tell you the people in "Cumming" will be thrilled not to have that address any longer!

PPS Have you all been following what's been actually happening in the city of Cumming? The FBI is now involved in the Mayor providing free health insurance for his longtime girlfriend and city attorney, neither of which are full time employees of the city. It's a mess!
Thanks for the info.

Vickery Creek would be a respectable name for southwest Forsyth.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 848 times
Can't we just have a referendum to change the address of all residents within the South Forsyth County boundary (eg, Suwanee, Duluth, Cumming, etc.), but which are not actually part of those cities, to be named Sharon Springs. I have no problem with the name, but I do have a problem with incorporating a city which will provided limited services, at least one of which my subdivision HOA already provides! I'm afraid that if Forsyth County loses 12.9% revenue, that we seniors stand to lose our senior exemption for school taxes...they're going to have to get it from somewhere! Suggest you also read www.oneforsyth.org (this is not a link...cut and paste...)

Old 02-20-2018, 02:32 PM

5,776 posts, read 6,503,065 times
Quote:
Don't be silly...

Everyone wishes they were East Cobb and an East Cobber.

(But seriously though --> the traffic in East Cobb is not worse than South Forsyth...and it definitely does not have fewer amenities. Have you ever been to fashionable East Cobb? )
Yes, Iíve been stuck in traffic there several times...

Old 02-20-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Yes, Iíve been stuck in traffic there several times...
Where? Which part?

Old 02-20-2018, 09:00 PM

53 posts, read 38,128 times
After reading many of the posts on NextDoor and FB and reading the articles from the proponent and opponent websites, my opinion is to vote against city incorporation.

There's a lot of rhetoric about having local zone control with no tax increases. But the area left to zone is at most 15% left. And the no tax increase without a referendum vote appears to be an empty promise. This article cites references that say that a tax millage cap in the city charter is not enforceable at all:

https://www.opposingsharonsprings.co...x-Cap-Loophole

Old 02-20-2018, 09:40 PM

9,586 posts, read 8,670,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca2dfw View Post
After reading many of the posts on NextDoor and FB and reading the articles from the proponent and opponent websites, my opinion is to vote against city incorporation.

There's a lot of rhetoric about having local zone control with no tax increases. But the area left to zone is at most 15% left. And the no tax increase without a referendum vote appears to be an empty promise. This article cites references that say that a tax millage cap in the city charter is not enforceable at all:

https://www.opposingsharonsprings.co...x-Cap-Loophole
Agree with your conclusion, ca2dfw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or