Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 05:52 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The southern stops to East Point, the western stops. Several stops on the eastern line has declined since the 80s-see Avondale/Indian Creek. In other words, about 50% of the path of MARTA.
Avondale is having a TOD developed on their parking lot and it's technically in Decatur, so you have no idea what your talking about. HE Holmes has seen a few new apartments built in the past 10 years. Kensington is the site of downtown DeKalb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 07:29 PM

222 posts, read 243,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I purchased my home in Historic West End on the beltline for 165,000 in June 2013. Recently sold homes and comps around me today is for 230,000. There also is a current expansion of the beltline in my area that is on-going. Home values will only continue to increase.
230k is a stretch for that area unless its 2300 square feet or larger and completely renovated. I've been looking at 3 bed/2 baths in the area and $149k -$189k looks to be the current sweet spot for nicely done renovations. Home values will "likely" continue to increase for some time but people need to consider the risk and reliance the areas improvements have on Beltline funding/success.

The West End, Adair Park and the West side in general has tons of potential and my wife and I considered the area about year ago, however we bought in Edgewood due to the short term upside.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:21 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travbo View Post
230k is a stretch for that area unless its 2300 square feet or larger and completely renovated. I've been looking at 3 bed/2 baths in the area and $149k -$189k looks to be the current sweet spot for nicely done renovations. Home values will "likely" continue to increase for some time but people need to consider the risk and reliance the areas improvements have on Beltline funding/success.

The West End, Adair Park and the West side in general has tons of potential and my wife and I considered the area about year ago, however we bought in Edgewood due to the short term upside.
It's not a stretch two homes have just recently sold for that amount around me and most homes in Historic West End is over 1900 square feet.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:47 AM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Avondale is having a TOD developed on their parking lot and it's technically in Decatur, so you have no idea what your talking about. HE Holmes has seen a few new apartments built in the past 10 years. Kensington is the site of downtown DeKalb.
The Avondale and Kensington areas are pretty scary. That's why May is proposing "downtown DeKalb" (which isn't going to happen anytime soon, if ever). You don't build the county jail in a prime, up and coming area (across the street from "Downtown DeKalb" in case you weren't aware). Avondale Estates figured they would need 2 full time police officers if they simply annexed the Walmart there on Memorial Drive just down from Kensington. East Lake is starting to come back, but it has fallen a long, long ways.

Those areas used to be nice, but have declined. Areas with MARTA stations have declined as much as others have thrived. The saying is, "you can't push a string." If there's not some underlying strength in an area, these improvements don't change much.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:53 AM
bu2

I agree with all of you that the west side has tons of potential. And I think Atlanta needs to focus on developing it as its relatively close in and has lots of underutilized and undeveloped property. But the Beltline will only help those areas that have underlying reasons to move up. If you had an area like Techwood was before they tore it down, it would stay bad.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The Avondale and Kensington areas are pretty scary. That's why May is proposing "downtown DeKalb" (which isn't going to happen anytime soon, if ever). You don't build the county jail in a prime, up and coming area (across the street from "Downtown DeKalb" in case you weren't aware). Avondale Estates figured they would need 2 full time police officers if they simply annexed the Walmart there on Memorial Drive just down from Kensington. East Lake is starting to come back, but it has fallen a long, long ways.

Those areas used to be nice, but have declined. Areas with MARTA stations have declined as much as others have thrived. The saying is, "you can't push a string." If there's not some underlying strength in an area, these improvements don't change much.
Avondale station is Decatur city limits, the parking lot is being redeveloped into a massive TOD. Do you not follow the MARTA development thread?

Old 03-04-2015, 09:05 AM

445 posts, read 516,342 times
From Curbed today:MARTA Mixed-Use - Curbed Atlanta

Old 03-04-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkeating View Post
Oh no, don't they know that area is bad.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:26 AM

298 posts, read 373,783 times
Avondale and Kensington are scary? lol.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:43 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Avondale station is Decatur city limits, the parking lot is being redeveloped into a massive TOD. Do you not follow the MARTA development thread?
I'm quite familiar with the area. Its been on a downward trend for many, many years. The argument was that rail magically transformed an area. That's clearly NOT the case.

This article is on Dallas, which now has the nation's longest light rail system at 90 miles, but its interesting and relevant. The readers' comments about the lack of development along the system (and their opinions on why) are particularly interesting.

hrrp://greatergreaterwashingtonpost.org/post/25858/would-you-have-guessed-dallas-has-the-countrys-biggest-light-rail-system/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta