U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-05-2015, 08:14 AM
JPD
 
11,883 posts, read 14,536,165 times
Reputation: 7568

Advertisements

Quote:
Oakland city is seeing increased development also.Not like some of the more popular areas but its is rebounding.
The MARTA development plan is good news, but the question I was responding to was which areas near MARTA stations that haven't improved in 40 years and may have gone down. Losing Pilgreen's 15 years ago was a major hit that they haven't recovered from. And that's only one thing that has gone down over there.

I used to live in that part of town. Things seemed like they were going to go up, and they did for a minute, but it didn't last. We bought our house for $75k in 1998 and sold it for $115k in 2001. A couple years ago it sold for $23k (and that's AFTER it was fixed up).

Hopefully this MARTA thing, if it ever happens, will be what Oakland City needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2015, 08:45 AM
bu2
 
9,027 posts, read 5,741,931 times
Reputation: 3578
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I dont know anyone who thinks Avondale Station is "scary" but you.In all my life you are the ONLY person who has said this.
East Lake?WTH!Have you look at the housing prices in that area?All up.
Thirty years ago like much of Atlanta older neighborhoods,that area had declined but now its been developing new subdivisions and renovated houses

Even Kemmsington is not scary it,It may not be in the wealthiest area but hardly scary but it sounds like you equate scary with lower income.

That Jail has been there for years.It was built because not much was around it.

The rail does work when its built where people use it.There is not enough density in some of these areas but thats quickly changing at many of tose stations.

You mention Dallas having the longest which means absolutely NOTHING if its not near the high density areas which oddly enough is your argument that building rail ill not bring development.So which is it?You sound contradictory when you mention Dallas.
Try reading the article and comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2015, 08:51 AM
bu2
 
9,027 posts, read 5,741,931 times
Reputation: 3578
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I dont know anyone who thinks Avondale Station is "scary" but you.In all my life you are the ONLY person who has said this.
East Lake?WTH!Have you look at the housing prices in that area?All up.
Thirty years ago like much of Atlanta older neighborhoods,that area had declined but now its been developing new subdivisions and renovated houses

Even Kemmsington is not scary it,It may not be in the wealthiest area but hardly scary but it sounds like you equate scary with lower income.

That Jail has been there for years.It was built because not much was around it.

The rail does work when its built where people use it.There is not enough density in some of these areas but thats quickly changing at many of tose stations.

You mention Dallas having the longest which means absolutely NOTHING if its not near the high density areas which oddly enough is your argument that building rail ill not bring development.So which is it?You sound contradictory when you mention Dallas.
I think you just agreed with me. MARTA came in and the neighborhood declined. Some of you are trying to claim that light rail/beltline will automatically make a neighborhood better, but it flies in the face of MARTA's history. Some of you keep pointing out what has been happening the last couple of years. MARTA didn't just come to those neighborhoods in the last couple of years. They were there through 30 or 40 years of decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2015, 09:25 AM
 
Location: NW Atlanta
5,008 posts, read 3,510,662 times
Reputation: 2653
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I think you just agreed with me. MARTA came in and the neighborhood declined. Some of you are trying to claim that light rail/beltline will automatically make a neighborhood better, but it flies in the face of MARTA's history. Some of you keep pointing out what has been happening the last couple of years. MARTA didn't just come to those neighborhoods in the last couple of years. They were there through 30 or 40 years of decline.
So you're saying that the neighborhood declined because of MARTA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2015, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
298 posts, read 285,080 times
Reputation: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I think you just agreed with me. MARTA came in and the neighborhood declined. Some of you are trying to claim that light rail/beltline will automatically make a neighborhood better, but it flies in the face of MARTA's history. Some of you keep pointing out what has been happening the last couple of years. MARTA didn't just come to those neighborhoods in the last couple of years. They were there through 30 or 40 years of decline.
I think you need to reevaluate your critical thinking skills. Maybe look up a simple phrase "correlation does not imply causation". For example, while certain areas around MARTA Stations declined beginning in the late 1970s, early 1980s, what other events were happening in urban areas, not just in Atlanta, but all over the nation? Maybe think of certain demographic shifts. These demographic shifts happened not only in areas near MARTA stations, but all over Atlanta, and in cities outside of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2015, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, Birmingham, Charlotte, and Raleigh
2,314 posts, read 1,441,227 times
Reputation: 1384
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Try reading the article and comments.
An article and its comments means nothing when you've been to certain areas yourself recently and never perceive or experience such feelings or thoughts about a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2015, 09:42 AM
 
445 posts, read 358,962 times
Reputation: 276
I think what matters most, at least from a property-value perspective, is that in 2015 being near MARTA is seen as more of a benefit than a liability, at least for a certain subset of buyers.

I'm still waiting to hear about what's scary at the Avondale MARTA station. La Calavera, Leapin' Lizards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2015, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,908,440 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
The MARTA development plan is good news, but the question I was responding to was which areas near MARTA stations that haven't improved in 40 years and may have gone down. Losing Pilgreen's 15 years ago was a major hit that they haven't recovered from. And that's only one thing that has gone down over there.

I used to live in that part of town. Things seemed like they were going to go up, and they did for a minute, but it didn't last. We bought our house for $75k in 1998 and sold it for $115k in 2001. A couple years ago it sold for $23k (and that's AFTER it was fixed up).

Hopefully this MARTA thing, if it ever happens, will be what Oakland City needs.
Well thats soley because of mortgage fraud it that area,It suffered just like the Westend.
It got better because there was investment from legal sources that lead to illegal activity that grossly over valued the property values.
The banking collapse halted growth all over the city and these areas that were just beginning to "gentrify"were inundated with renovated houses that have become un-saleable because of being tied up in courts,but now becaue of how cheap these house were,sales in the area are up.


Those values are now up.You cant find to many houses for 23k anymore because the interest has picked up.
There is more interest of people moving into the city at its highest point since the 60's.
People are not just moving in Midtown and Buckhead,
This from a wiki article on Atlanta gentrification:
Quote:
Southwest neighborhoods gentrifying include: West End, Capitol View, Capitol View Manor, Peoplestown, Summerhill, Mechanicsville, Pittsburgh, Westview, Oakland City and Adair Park. The gentrification in the Southwest differs from other parts of Atlanta in that it is largely wealthier black professionals and families moving in.
Gentrification of Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its not fair to say it declined further when the whole metro was suffering during the housing crisis.Especially when it had nothing to do with transit,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2015, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,908,440 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I think you just agreed with me. MARTA came in and the neighborhood declined. Some of you are trying to claim that light rail/beltline will automatically make a neighborhood better, but it flies in the face of MARTA's history. Some of you keep pointing out what has been happening the last couple of years. MARTA didn't just come to those neighborhoods in the last couple of years. They were there through 30 or 40 years of decline.
I dont thin i need to get into a history lesson about the term "white flight".Something that almost every city on the East coast has gone through.

Thats not because of MARTA.Its because of the changing times where blacks were moving onto white middle class neighborhoods.
Every neighborhodd near a MARTA station is at some level experiencing some growth even it not growth its not decling.That goes for the H E Ho,es station also
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2015, 10:19 AM
JPD
 
11,883 posts, read 14,536,165 times
Reputation: 7568
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well thats soley because of mortgage fraud it that area,It suffered just like the Westend.



Those values are now up.You cant find to many houses for 23k anymore because the interest has picked up.
Perhaps you ought to look at listings on Zillow (or any real estate listing you choose). Most of the houses for sale over there and $50k or less, with plenty in the $20-$30k range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top