U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 10:21 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,872,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkeating View Post
I think what matters most, at least from a property-value perspective, is that in 2015 being near MARTA is seen as more of a benefit than a liability, at least for a certain subset of buyers.

I'm still waiting to hear about what's scary at the Avondale MARTA station. La Calavera, Leapin' Lizards?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I think you just agreed with me. MARTA came in and the neighborhood declined. Some of you are trying to claim that light rail/beltline will automatically make a neighborhood better, but it flies in the face of MARTA's history. Some of you keep pointing out what has been happening the last couple of years. MARTA didn't just come to those neighborhoods in the last couple of years. They were there through 30 or 40 years of decline.
As I stated already,the MARTA is NOT the reason for that decline.The city was already declining when it was being built.

And with the excetion of the Housing crisis those neighborhoods were growing before then and now.It really irrelevant anyway to talk about what has happened in the past as of today almost EVERY area near a MARTA station at some level of planning or redevelopment or outright booming with growth.
This is soley because there is renewed interest in living in the city.So naturally transist is desireable to be near.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Perhaps you ought to look at listings on Zillow (or any real estate listing you choose). Most of the houses for sale over there and $50k or less, with plenty in the $20-$30k range.
Ok.Let me clarify,Look at the graph.Prices were going up untill the housing crisis.True t did decline but prices have declined all over the metro.In most case across the metro ,home prices are still not back to pre recession levels.
Housing prices in that area are now up 5%
Oakland City Home Prices and Home Values | Zillow

So my point is if we are discussing if the area has declined then lets be fair and keep it on perspective.

Also its im not trying to say Oakland City is gonna be the next Atlantic Station.I know you can find cheap housing but those prices are not because it near transit.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:47 AM
JPD

11,871 posts, read 14,483,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post

So my point is if we are discussing if the area has declined then lets be fair and keep it on perspective.
The only perspective that's needed is that Oakland City has been in decline and is near a MARTA station. I'm making no claim that the two are related. I have no beef with Oakland City. But it's a fact that it's an area that has struggled for a long time (you could write a long book about Oakland City's struggles and the housing fiasco we're still working our way through would only be one chapter.)

Old 03-05-2015, 10:49 AM

3,969 posts, read 3,264,035 times
The decline of West End happening because of white flight to the suburbs and the building of Interstate 1-20 through the heart of West End and not the result of Marta.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:02 AM

3,969 posts, read 3,264,035 times
Here's the root cause of each social, economic and racial issue and decline with the city of Atlanta. The below words are from Kevin Kruse.

"By the late 1940s and early 1950s, working-class whites felt themselves under siege from what they saw as a black invasion of their neighborhoods and public spaces such as parks and swimming pools. Working-class whites at first turned to organized violence and intimidation, but soon realized the importance of winning the battle for public image. In Kruse’s words, “In time, they would learn to put aside the brown shirts of the [white supremacist] Columbians and the white sheets of the Klan and instead present themselves as simple homeowners and concerned citizens.” (44) On an ideological level, they moved from trying to protect the integrity of their communities (a cohesion that Kruse convincingly undermines), and instead began to emphasize their individual rights and liberties to live amongst whomever they chose. In many neighborhoods, their struggle was not enough, as the first wave of black homeowners caused a stampede of white individuals rushing to sell their homes before property values decreased.

Meanwhile, a similar battle over the desegregation of public schools led middle-class whites into the fray during the 1950s. Segregationist leaders quickly picked up on a central theme that ran through their movement (and one that runs through White Flight as well): “freedom of association.” For a middle-class white father, barring blacks from attending the same school as his daughter was purportedly less about denying black people rights as it was preserving his own right to determine who his daughter could and should interact with. Even as this line of reasoning proved ineffectual at halting desegregation, white families fled from public schools into private ones, creating a second-wave of de facto segregation in Atlanta’s school system.

The third stage of white flight came in the early 1960s. As working and middle-class whites faced the integration of their neighborhoods, parks, and schools, many upper-class whites observed the conflict form a distance, safely ensconced in their wealthy neighborhoods, country clubs, and private schools. But with the passage of the Civil Rights Act, suddenly their businesses came under direct assault. Elite businessman, hitherto allied in a moderate coalition with white politicians and black leaders, bitterly struggled against organized sit-in protests and later government injunctions that aimed to desegregate their restaurants and department stores. It was during their struggle that the earlier shifts towards individual rights and privatization crystallized into an organized and increasingly powerful conservative ideology."

Old 03-05-2015, 11:24 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,432,601 times
Quote:
The only perspective that's needed is that Oakland City has been in decline and is near a MARTA station. I'm making no claim that the two are related. I have no beef with Oakland City. But it's a fact that it's an area that has struggled for a long time (you could write a long book about Oakland City's struggles and the housing fiasco we're still working our way through would only be one chapter.)
Wasn't Oakland City outside of Venetian Hills always kinda lower income tho? Back in the day it was lower middle class whites and now it's poor Black people. It has nothing to do race or MARTA. That area is like Riverside/Bolton up in NW- low income whites got replaced my poor people of another race. The area never was that nice to begin with. I knew this old white woman who lived in Peyton Forest and she was probably the last white person left in that area and she said the whites in Peyton Forest looked down their noses at whites from Oakland City back in the 50's and 60's because they were poor.

Places like Oakland City and Pittsburgh got RAPED by mortgage fraud too. Some of the worst in this countries history. It takes a lot to bounce back from that. But then again was it ever that nice anyway?

Old 03-05-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I agree.The other poster I responded to seems to think are.
My basic point in the first place is that no matter the history, most of the city neighborhoods of Atlanta are no longer declining and Oakland City is no exception. It has a positive outlook mainly because it is near the MARTA station.It would essentially be like English Ave if it were not.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:36 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,432,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I agree.The other poster I responded to seems to think are.
My basic point in the first place is that no matter the history, most of the city neighborhoods of Atlanta are no longer declining and Oakland City is no exception. It has a positive outlook mainly because it is near the MARTA station.It would essentially be like English Ave if it were not.
Yeah Oakland City for sure isn't declining anymore. It's no where near as bad as it was. It's one of the most overlooked areas in atlanta IMO. It has the bones for some great things

Old 03-05-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Wasn't Oakland City outside of Venetian Hills always kinda lower income tho? Back in the day it was lower middle class whites and now it's poor Black people. It has nothing to do race or MARTA. That area is like Riverside/Bolton up in NW- low income whites got replaced my poor people of another race. The area never was that nice to begin with. I knew this old white woman who lived in Peyton Forest and she was probably the last white person left in that area and she said the whites in Peyton Forest looked down their noses at whites from Oakland City back in the 50's and 60's because they were poor.

Places like Oakland City and Pittsburgh got RAPED by mortgage fraud too. Some of the worst in this countries history. It takes a lot to bounce back from that. But then again was it ever that nice anyway?
Yes.I think you are right.If you look at the housing stock in some of the area its very basic.You don't find the large old homes like you find in the West End

Old 03-05-2015, 11:37 AM

22,178 posts, read 16,186,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post

Oakland city was most likely a blue collar neighborhood for the factory workers, once deindustrialization came the jobs left and those that could move did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta