Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 09:48 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Ah. So since I paid $1k more in income taxes this year due to my raise I should get $900 back? The government is still netting $100 more.
I give up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 09:55 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,315,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
I give up.
Probably the best course of action... some people will see only what they wish to...

Old 03-05-2015, 11:11 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
So you really think special tax breaks approved on a one-off basis for only the large companies the county selects is fiscal conservatism?

Old 03-05-2015, 12:11 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
Really? So your bank gave you "free money" to buy your house? They must love customers like you!

IRBs are often called pass-through bonds (or at least they were in my day). A private entity (in this case, The Home Depot) borrows money by issuing bonds. A bank purchases the bonds, thereby providing financing to the company. The bonds "pass through" an economic development agency in order to be classified as tax exempt -- meaning the investors who purchase the bonds do not have to pay taxes on the interest income. This makes the bonds more attractive, reducing the interest rate the company must pay on the borrowed money, and thereby reducing their financing costs.

The local government economic development agency isn't on the hook for the principal or interest. It isn't spending taxpayer dollars on "corporate welfare." In fact, the increased economic activity in the local jurisdiction typically means that tax revenues increase. In this case, Cobb County will directly gain approximately $400,000 per year in additional revenues just from The Home Depot spending its borrowed money in the county, setting aside the revenues gained indirectly from the company's expansion in the county.

What's really hilarious about seeing this kind of thread on the C-D Atlanta forum is that IRBs really took off in the South after WWII -- it's how we lured a lot of that Northern industry down here. They became so widespread during this period that restrictions were ultimately slapped on them. It's a fair bet that more than one of the less-than-informed critics in this thread owes their job to IRBs.

But I guess it's increasingly the case that "public-private partnerships" are only popular around here when someone gets trains or bike paths out of it. Jobs and economic growth are a scandal.

ETA: It's like trying to explain something to a brick wall. Back to lurking!

Old 03-05-2015, 01:33 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
Quote:
Thank you for posting something actually factual on this. The MDJ and AJC minions are desperate for attention and nothing gets the attention of unintelligent readers more than "corporation gets taxpayer money.
"

You keep telling yourself that. Uninformed indeed.

AM radio shows have really dumbed down America.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:54 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post
Thank you for posting something actually factual on this. The MDJ and AJC minions are desperate for attention and nothing gets the attention of unintelligent readers more than "corporation gets taxpayer money."

It's comical that so many people actually think there is a board of 6 county leaders that decide, "yeah, let's take $200 million from school kids/teachers and give it to a corporation so they will remodel an IT facility."

Independent thought and economic literacy are truly dead.
Good point. I think folks don't quite look at the big picture in these types of scenarios. While there may be a tax abatement for HD, the jobs, commerce and real estate development that they will create with the abatement results in, hopefully, more taxes than the amount of the abatement over time.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:23 PM

165 posts, read 169,922 times
When a conglomerate is in doubt, come on over to Fort Cobb!!! We play fast and loose with our money. You won't lose!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post
It's comical that so many people actually think there is a board of 6 county leaders that decide, "yeah, let's take $200 million from school kids/teachers and give it to a corporation so they will remodel an IT facility.".
Why is that comical? Sixteen months ago 4 out of the 5 county "leaders" decided it was beneficial to fork over $300 million dollars to a corporation, which could have went to "school kids/teachers"

Old 03-05-2015, 11:59 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,498 times
So, Cobb has plenty of money to support massive corporations, but won't join MARTA to help ease traffic in the metro area most of which is caused by these same corporations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta