U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 01:37 PM

12,915 posts, read 19,798,895 times

Advertisements

Look at South Forsyth too, just above Alpharetta. Good schools, new homes, and amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 01:39 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,254,477 times
Roswell has some homes from the Carter Administration Era that are more affordable. I have no idea where you will be working, but excellent schools with kid's activities and swim tennis; why not try Peachtree City in Fayette County in Atlanta's southside suburbs.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:08 PM

1,062 posts, read 689,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Roswell has some homes from the Carter Administration Era that are more affordable. I have no idea where you will be working, but excellent schools with kid's activities and swim tennis; why not try Peachtree City in Fayette County in Atlanta's southside suburbs.
Agree that this is a very good suggestion. PTC isn't for everyone, but if the vibe works for you, it has fantastic amenities and excellent schools.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:10 PM

1,785 posts, read 2,102,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
There are affordable homes from the Carter admin everywhere

Old 03-03-2015, 03:16 PM

12,994 posts, read 17,122,083 times
Give Suwanee a look. It's right on I-85 and isn't super-expensive like Alpharetta and other North Fulton suburbs. I also venture that it has a better school district than any of those around Lawrenceville. If I had to live in metro Atlanta, I'd live somewhere in North Gwinnett around Suwanee.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:55 PM

789 posts, read 640,641 times
Why does everybody wanna move to the north suburbs, you can get more bang for your buck south of Atlanta. I'd advise the op to make another trip here and visit places like Fayetteville, Peachtree City, Jonesboro/Lake Spivey, Tyrone, and even South Fulton (30331 zip.) These area are nice, a little country but you get huge homes with big yards for cheap, you can easily get 3000+ sqft for way less than 300K, these areas are safe, though the schools are not top notch they are not that bad either, the weather is a little warmer than north metro too, and less traffic, easy drive to COA.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:16 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,343,977 times
I also suggest Suwanee. Great schools and very family friendly and safe.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:40 PM

4,129 posts, read 3,223,086 times
Ok haven't seen a note from anyone so I'll say it. DON'T BASE EVERYTHING OFF OF THE CITY!!!
"Lawrenceville" is a city of about 30K people. However, is has something like 6 different zip codes. You need to focus more on the schools themselves, not even the zip codes. Brookwood HS is the top performing traditional HS (so not the Math and Science school) in Gwinnett and is in Snellville but a large amount of the student population lives in a Lawrenceville zip code (30044). Plenty of homes from the 100s to 900s in neighborhoods. Some scattered about top 1 mil. Central Gwinnett HS is in Lawrencevile is a 6 on Greatschools and is not nearly as highly regarded as other schools in the county. It draws primarily from the actual city of Lawrenceville. So you can look at two houses in the same zip code (30044), both Lawrenceville, but one goes to Central and is in a higher crime area while the other goes to Brookwood and is an area where you really don't have to worry about much about any crime at all. I live in the Brookwood HS cluster in 30044. My address is Lawrenceville but I'm pretty far from someone living in the Mountain View cluster near the Mall of GA which is also in a Lawrenceville zip code.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:04 PM

12,912 posts, read 20,985,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Well, I'm sure some here will take issue with what I'm about to say, but whatever, here goes....

Communities like Alpharetta/Milton/Johns Creek are highly educated wealthy communities that are home to professionals: think doctors, lawyers, IT people, bankers, etc. For all the reasons you cited, these are nice areas with good schools, but still with decent proximity to the city. It's also possible to enter the material war of having the nice 5 bedroom house with 6,000 square feet in a gated community for under $1 million. So if you have a really good job, you can participate in that (i.e. - your average surgeon can have these things in this area, you don't have to be the chief of surgery like you would have to be to have them in midtown or Buckhead).

Lawrenceville is a little different, I'd say it's more middle class. 15-20 years ago, it had the benefit of having all the shiny new construction, and it seemed like it was on a big upswing. But a lot of people who never should have bought houses got foreclosed on and Lawrecenville didn't have the wealth base of Alpharetta/Milton/Johns Creek to retain its value (which was never as high, but the area looked like it could potentially some day be as nice). Does that mean Lawrenceville is a terrible place to live? Nah, it's fine....but it's not going to have the amenities of Alpharetta. For example, Alpharetta has a new shopping district called Avalon, which houses its new Whole Foods. There is also a Whole Foods next door in Johns Creek. There is no Whole Foods in Lawrenceville, they have the schlep to Johns Creek. I'm just using Whole Foods as a barometer, but you get the idea. Alpharetta is home to better restaurants, retail, etc.

So, to make a long story short......

If you want high-end retail, dining, mostly educated neighbors, great schools, and proximity to Atlanta, Alpharetta is a better bet.

If you want more house for your money, don't care about sophisticated restaurants, don't mind more blue collar neighbors, but you'll still have pretty good schools, Lawrenceville is probably ok.

It sounds to me like you should consider Suwanee. This is in Gwinnett county to the west, which is generally considered the best part of Gwinnett. This provides proximity to Johns Creek/Alpharetta without the higher cost of housing. It's a neat pocket that is also not too far from Lake Lanier. Suwanee is the most family friendly place that I have ever seen (so much so that I personally find it nauseating, but great if you have kids!). It is also getting a healthy dose of Asian population, so it's growing in diversity and tends to attract a slightly more progressive crowd than Lawrenceville, though not as progressive as a Johns Creek (which also has a growing Asian population and a Jewish population).

I hope that helps as least some!

Um, she is considering the Brookwood High District which is Southern Lawrenceville (as well as Northern Snellville and Eastern Lilburn).

The Brookwood High District (along with the Parkview High District) probably has more in common with Alpharetta and Suwanee than it does with the rest of Lawrenceville to the north.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:07 PM

12,912 posts, read 20,985,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Ok haven't seen a note from anyone so I'll say it. DON'T BASE EVERYTHING OFF OF THE CITY!!!
"Lawrenceville" is a city of about 30K people. However, is has something like 6 different zip codes. You need to focus more on the schools themselves, not even the zip codes. Brookwood HS is the top performing traditional HS (so not the Math and Science school) in Gwinnett and is in Snellville but a large amount of the student population lives in a Lawrenceville zip code (30044). Plenty of homes from the 100s to 900s in neighborhoods. Some scattered about top 1 mil. Central Gwinnett HS is in Lawrencevile is a 6 on Greatschools and is not nearly as highly regarded as other schools in the county. It draws primarily from the actual city of Lawrenceville. So you can look at two houses in the same zip code (30044), both Lawrenceville, but one goes to Central and is in a higher crime area while the other goes to Brookwood and is an area where you really don't have to worry about much about any crime at all. I live in the Brookwood HS cluster in 30044. My address is Lawrenceville but I'm pretty far from someone living in the Mountain View cluster near the Mall of GA which is also in a Lawrenceville zip code.

Exactly this. Thank you. Smart, wise post by someone that truly knows what they are talking about. I cannot believe some of the other posts in this thread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or