U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2015, 06:42 PM

4,129 posts, read 3,224,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Funding education is everyone's responsibility. It is the single largest contribution to property values, so if elderly people want to be able to sell their house for a good price and make money, then they should want to fund education to make it better for all.
The way I look at it is that I never paid for my K-12 education. It was all other people's money and a little of that was my parents'. Now it's my turn to pay for someone else. I may never see that investment materialize. A lot of people who paid for my education are dead now and one day I will be too. Paying for education is the ultimate pay it forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 08:06 PM

1,062 posts, read 689,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
The way I look at it is that I never paid for my K-12 education. It was all other people's money and a little of that was my parents'. Now it's my turn to pay for someone else. I may never see that investment materialize. A lot of people who paid for my education are dead now and one day I will be too. Paying for education is the ultimate pay it forward.
1000x this. Thank you!

The over 65 tax exemption is one of the few things I don't like about living in Cobb. It really needs to go. Perhaps I will run for County commission (and would probably get trounced if that were a plank in my platform)...

Old 05-13-2015, 08:25 PM

4,129 posts, read 3,224,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
1000x this. Thank you!

The over 65 tax exemption is one of the few things I don't like about living in Cobb. It really needs to go. Perhaps I will run for County commission (and would probably get trounced if that were a plank in my platform)...
I think Gwinnett has it as well. I get if it's financially more difficult for retirees but the "my kids are no longer in school" reason doesn't work for me. There are LOTS of childless adults who are still paying for other people's kids.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I think Gwinnett has it as well. I get if it's financially more difficult for retirees but the "my kids are no longer in school" reason doesn't work for me. There are LOTS of childless adults who are still paying for other people's kids.
Yup. Me among them. And I am happy to do so.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:55 PM

28,118 posts, read 24,652,789 times
Quote:
Fulton (and Atlanta) have various senior exemptions as well.

Fulton County Assessors Office

Old 05-13-2015, 09:02 PM

478 posts, read 583,808 times
Quote:
Actually, the logic behind the property tax cap was instituted not because those over 65 don't have school age kids, it was because most seniors are on fixed incomes and were finding it extremely difficult to pay ever increasing property taxes because their home values had increased. The best example would be a retired couple in Smyrna who purchased a home in the 1960's or 70's in the Forest Hills neighborhood in Smyrna. They paid $25K for it and now it is being accessed in the high 200's. If will be a real challenge for them to pay the increased property taxes without the Homestead exemption. In the 1990's the City of Smyrna also allowed home owners to have their assessed value capped and now those owners who applied for the cap are paying taxes based on the assessed value in the late 1990's.

Bottom line, the tax break given to seniors is a way to help retired folks remain in the home they purchased years ago. This way they won't be forced to move when they don't have the income to pay higher taxes and don't want to leave their neighborhood. State Senator Ginger Collins introduced the bill which allowed Smyrna residents this option.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
Actually, the logic behind the property tax cap was instituted not because those over 65 don't have school age kids, it was because most seniors are on fixed incomes and were finding it extremely difficult to pay ever increasing property taxes because their home values had increased. The best example would be a retired couple in Smyrna who purchased a home in the 1960's or 70's in the Forest Hills neighborhood in Smyrna. They paid $25K for it and now it is being accessed in the high 200's. If will be a real challenge for them to pay the increased property taxes without the Homestead exemption. In the 1990's the City of Smyrna also allowed home owners to have their assessed value capped and now those owners who applied for the cap are paying taxes based on the assessed value in the late 1990's.

Bottom line, the tax break given to seniors is a way to help retired folks remain in the home they purchased years ago. This way they won't be forced to move when they don't have the income to pay higher taxes and don't want to leave their neighborhood. State Senator Ginger Collins introduced the bill which allowed Smyrna residents this option.
I understand this logic, but I think the program is probably abused, and legally so, by many. There's no income cap on it. There's no cap on the value of the house that is exempted. From what I understand, whether the house is worth $60k or $6M, it is exempt from school taxes. That's very troubling, and it certainly doesn't benefit those that it was ostensibly created to help as much as it does people who very much do not need the assistance. Meanwhile, there are plenty of other people on fixed or limited incomes who do not get such a benefit. Finally, the increased property values the homeowners have experienced - and will one day reap, when they sell - is due, in large part, to the good reputation of the schools, which has made their area a desirable place to live, and will continue to do so. I think they should continue to pay for that as well,.-: their property is certainly going to continue to appreciate.

Freezing property tax levels on seniors' properties at the level they're at at age 62, or introducing an income cap to qualify for the exemption, or assuring that the assessed values can go up by only so much per year, would be a more equitable solution.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:38 PM

4,945 posts, read 3,992,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Funding education is everyone's responsibility. It is the single largest contribution to property values, so if elderly people want to be able to sell their house for a good price and make money, then they should want to fund education to make it better for all.
Without question.

Quote:
^^^^^

Old 05-13-2015, 11:01 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,539,681 times
Quote:
Everyone benefits from a more educated society. Imagine if education was just for those who could afford it...

Old 05-14-2015, 07:44 AM

4,945 posts, read 3,992,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Everyone benefits from a more educated society. Imagine if education was just for those who could afford it...
That's basically where we are now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or