Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 08:47 AM

6,495 posts, read 6,084,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem1985 View Post
Yea I agree. It may turn into Cumberland/Vinings vs Cobb County if the 30339 zipcode wants to join the city. Hell I was using Vinings or Atlanta on my mailing address when living in the area
I love how a lot of the residential real estate listings for the Cobb portion of 30339 emphasize the "Atlanta address, Cobb taxes" benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 08:49 AM

446 posts, read 675,046 times
That Cobb vs Atlanta talk was heavy probably until the 2000s but I heard it a lot. The favorite phrase people used to say was I got to go too Snobb County. Going to school in Cobb though they can sniff out if you wasn't from Cobb. When CCT started running route 10 to midtown/arts center it helped ease the view from both sides probably

Old 03-06-2015, 08:51 AM

446 posts, read 675,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
I love how a lot of the residential real estate listings for the Cobb portion of 30339 emphasize the "Atlanta address, Cobb taxes" benefit.

yea I had to explain that to people when I was living in Bama they was telling me that's not possible

Old 03-06-2015, 08:59 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,827,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
The vast bulk of that nonsense is from 20-30 years ago, apart from the recent quote about the Braves, and that quote is from Joe Dendy, chair of the Cobb GOP, NOT a local elected official. He can opine all he wants, and try to wield influence, but at the end of the day, he's just a blowhard without a vote.

Ah, you don't think the currently elected officials agree with these sentiments:

"Let me make this perfectly clear: There is going to be no MARTA system coming to Cobb County. MARTA will not be part of the system, it will not be part of the operator, it will not be part of any component of this system," - Tim Lee

"“Let’s do it differently. Let’s do it right. I’d love to connect the three Braves’ stadiums, some way, wouldn’t that be cool? Maybe Rome to Cobb to Gwinnett.” - State Rep. Earl Ehrhart (R-Powder Springs)

Of course that whole "Cobb, Home of the Braves" campaign should really drive the message home too.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:41 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,753,815 times
Local businesses and government offices showed off 'Cobb County Braves' items.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:30 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,129,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2201987 View Post
A more pertinent question IMO is why is a BILLION DOLLAR corporation not using its own money to build its fantasy playground with an adjacent ICLEI-approved utopian cookie-cutter development instead of siphoning what little money county citizens have (taken out of their paychecks) to improve/maintain its services? ......
Because this is how politics work in a post-Citizens United world. And when we have a government who won't even pass the DISCLOSE Act, then corporate welfare arranged in secret is only going to continue.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:37 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,804,850 times
This thread has gone to the ridiculous. Again, I never heard anyone in Cobb spout anti-Atlanta stuff. Sure, I heard some people use the term ghetto. Sure, there is some racist baggage with that talk. So what? You don't think the same term gets used in Buckhead or Virginia Highland or Morningside referring to other sections of the same city? Does living within the CofA make one automatically pure of all racist sentiment and verbage?

The vitriol about Cobb is spewed from the Atlanta side. It is not a two way street. This thread proves it.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:03 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,125,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
This thread has gone to the ridiculous. Again, I never heard anyone in Cobb spout anti-Atlanta stuff. Sure, I heard some people use the term ghetto. Sure, there is some racist baggage with that talk. So what? You don't think the same term gets used in Buckhead or Virginia Highland or Morningside referring to other sections of the same city? Does living within the CofA make one automatically pure of all racist sentiment and verbage?

The vitriol about Cobb is spewed from the Atlanta side. It is not a two way street. This thread proves it.
It's a stadium thread; it's guaranteed to be ridiculous from the start.

- skbl17

Old 03-07-2015, 06:30 AM

559 posts, read 829,167 times
Quote:

Get used to it on this board. Happens EVERY single time Cobb is mentioned.

And yes, it's ridiculous and borders on delusional. I've lived and worked in Cobb for 22 years now and can count on one hand the times I've ever heard anyone say anything anti-ATL.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:54 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,827,136 times
Quote:
Again, I never heard anyone in Cobb spout anti-Atlanta stuff.
Do you not consider my many earlier referenced quotes to be anti-Atlanta? Or do you believe that I made them up? Or do you think these people are not from Cobb? And its not like these are some quotes over heard from some random person walking down a back road in Cobb, this is Cobb leadership and organized marketing campaigns.

If Cobb and the Braves wanted to put all of this to rest today they could do it. Just hold a joint press conference announcing that they are going to reach out to CoA and MARTA considering annexation or other options to ensure that the stadium area has good access to all of their fans. Not just ones driving in from the suburbs. And follow it up with a new marketing campaign that the Braves home is all of the Atlanta metro, not just Cobb.

But that is not happening anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta