Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 02:35 PM

681 posts, read 1,040,639 times

Advertisements

I know of the mall of Georgia which is pretty nice in Buford, however what other malls are there in Atlanta area? and which is the biggest with the most floors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 02:38 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,502,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
I know of the mall of Georgia which is pretty nice in Buford, however what other malls are there in Atlanta area? and which is the biggest with the most floors?
Lenox Square, and Lenox Square.

Actually, Phipps Plaza is nicer, but it's also more extreme in its offerings.

Lenox is upscale to high end. Phipps is just flat out high end. Middle class can't afford to shop there.

Old 08-09-2015, 02:43 PM

681 posts, read 1,040,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post

Lenox is upscale to high end. Phipps is just flat out high end. Middle class can't afford to shop there.
Lenox looks pretty nice from the pics, seems to have a lot of stores to, how about a movie theater? and IMAX option or something?

Old 08-09-2015, 04:28 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,755,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post

Phipps is not that much more high end than Lenox - there are still affordable store there like Talbots.

Buckhead Atlanta is high end

Avalon in Alpharetta has some high end stores

Perimeter Mall often ranks as the favorite mall for most locals.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:35 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,856,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
Lenox looks pretty nice from the pics, seems to have a lot of stores to, how about a movie theater? and IMAX option or something?
There used to be theatres at Lenox, but they closed years ago. However, AMC has a multiplex on the 3rd level of Phipps Plaza across the street that I personally love.

Lenox Square is definitely our 'main' mall. All 3 anchors are flagship locations of their respective chains (Bloomingdale's, Macy's & Neiman Marcus), with Macy's at a whopping 460,000 + square feet. It also has an attached luxury hotel with the J.W. Marriott, a class-A office tower and several sit-down mid/upper scale restaurants. Lenox has pretty much become our de-facto 'Downtown Shopping District.' There are also two subway stations on two different lines with stations right behind the mall, and across the street and 2 short blocks from the front entrance.

Over 40% of Lenox shoppers are from more than 150 miles outside of Atlanta, so it is a huge regional draw. Unlike most urban malls it is surrounded by many upscale hotels including the aforementioned J.W. Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, W, Mandarin Oriental, Grand Hyatt, Intercontinental, Westin, etc.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:35 PM

890 posts, read 1,645,013 times
Perimeter Mall is my favorite. I have found that it is a hassle having to navigate multiple floors in order to get what I need while shopping. Perimeter has all of the stores that I like and isn't as crowded of course. Plus, everything is on 2 levels.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:58 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,767,675 times
West End

Old 08-09-2015, 10:30 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,826,039 times
I was at Lenox Square last Monday at lunchtime, for the first time in a couple of years. The entire mall was remarkably crowded -- maybe because it was lunchtime, maybe because school was about to start.

As I shared with my Facebook friends, I've never felt so old, fat, ugly and poor as I did walking around Lenox Square last Monday. The place is absolutely off the chain fabulous ... and most of the people in there are too. It's the kind of swanky that makes you click your heels and ask "Am I really in Atlanta?"

But of course ... I live full-time in Savannah now and have been removed from that Buckhead 'thang' for a few years, so I'm not really used to it. In my earlier years, before Lenox became so high-end, I would spend a lot of money there on fairly reasonable fashions and such. Not anymore. It's outta my price range.

I'm embarrassed to cross the street and enter Phipps for all the blue-bloods staring their noses down at me and clutching their Chanel purses tighter in fear.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:18 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,998,458 times
Lenox is kind of known as the "it" mall. But I think a lot of people there are hanging out, seeing and being seen, maybe spending money that they don't really have.

It's a FUN mall, but I don't know that's really a UTILITARIAN mall. Even when I lived withing walking distance of it, I didn't really use it to buy too much, except food and the occasional gift at Urban Outfitters. Maybe Macy's.

Perimeter Mall is definitely the money mall. Not in terms of the people who go there having more money, but I believe more money is spent there and inventory turns over more frequently. It's where people go when they want to actually buy something reasonable.

HOWEVER, traffic around Perimeter Mall has pretty much gotten atrocious. I think that North Point mall is an even MORE UTILITARIAN mall, especially for people with kids. It has all the stores yo would expect at any American mall and plazas surrounding it with every ancillary store you can think of (Toys R Us, Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, Nordstrom Rack, Stein-Mart, and so on into infinity...)

Plus, Avalon has hurt North Point a little bit, so it's actually not overly crowded most of the time these days.

There really is no BEST shopping mall in Atlanta. Most of them have significant differences, and it just depends on what you want, and what makes a good mall to you.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:33 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,826,039 times
I know this thread is about malls, but Ashley Park down in Newnan is an ideal shopping destination to me. It's an outdoor center, of course, not too big but with a healthy mix of mid-price and some upper-end retailers, plus restaurants and entertainment, etc. It's also quite pretty. I'd rather hang out there and similar places, like Atlantic Station, than an enclosed mall any day (unless it's 100 degrees with 90 percent humidity).

I haven't visited Buckhead Atlanta or Avalon yet, but something tells me I'd feel just as out of place there as I do at Phipps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta