Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 07:10 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,973,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
That's basically where we are now.
We are? I was thinking that we are all provided an education for 13 years, and record numbers of people are going on to post-secondary education. Education seems to be available for anyone who wants it, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 07:33 PM

31,993 posts, read 36,521,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
We are? I was thinking that we are all provided an education for 13 years, and record numbers of people are going on to post-secondary education. Education seems to be available for anyone who wants it, no?
That is my impression.

I must say I am baffled by tales of students graduating from college with $300K in debt. Where are these folks going to school?

My thought would be that if you can't get a scholarship you are a whole lot better off going somewhere within your means. There are many terrific public colleges with reasonable tuition.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:08 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,115,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That is my impression.

I must say I am baffled by tales of students graduating from college with $300K in debt. Where are these folks going to school?

My thought would be that if you can't get a scholarship you are a whole lot better off going somewhere within your means. There are many terrific public colleges with reasonable tuition.
Graduating with lots of debt is the new normal, arjay. Even from affordable colleges such as UGA, Tech, and GSU.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:27 PM

749 posts, read 882,449 times
Cost rising for bridge to Braves development

From the article:
The bridge that will carry walkers, bicyclists and people-moving trams over 15 lanes of interstate highway to SunTrust Park could cost taxpayers about $3 million more than Cobb County officials have previously acknowledged. And the bill could keep climbing.

The county has told the public for the past year that the span over I-285 would cost a maximum of $9 million. But that is an estimate of construction costs only, and does not include expenses that are necessary to complete the project, Cobb DOT Director Faye DiMassimo acknowledged recently in response to questions from The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Can we call this thing a boondoggle yet? I feel like the Billion+ being spent to replace a perfectly fine stadium could have been used in a much better way to actually benefit Cobb and the region.

For this amount, Cobb/Braves could have probably built a rail connection to tie in directly with the MARTA system, and a better solution could have been implemented for Turner field (Mag Lev was being proposed not long before the move was announced). I think connecting Cobb to the rest of the metro and the airport, via rail, would have been a bigger benefit to the county and the region as a whole, in the long run.

From the article:
The proposal also mentioned concerns: the bridge’s 1,100-foot span is long, equal to 3 1/2 football fields; its incline relatively steep; and exposure to the elements could be harsh.

“We will focus heavily on softening the walking experience,” the proposal says. “We will … create opportunities for refuge and seating; incorporate cover areas or overhead canopies to provide shading.”

It says there could be “misting stations” along the way.

This whole thing is going to be an uphill battle. They are going to throw so much money and effort into trying to make Cobb into something that it clearly is not. The pedestrian experience, after all money and effort aside, is going to still be horrible.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:50 PM

10,732 posts, read 13,267,526 times
Quote:
Graduating with lots of debt is the new normal, arjay. Even from affordable colleges such as UGA, Tech, and GSU.
That's too bad. I have been saving for my kids' college since the day they were born. Is it a matter of folks not saving for college? Or is it that parents don't want to pay?

Old 05-18-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
That's too bad. I have been saving for my kids' college since the day they were born. Is it a matter of folks not saving for college? Or is it that parents don't want to pay?
It has absolutely nothing to do with either. By any measure, the cost of higher education is skyrocketing in America. The best personal financial management in the world, except from the ultra-rich, cannot compensate for that.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
Cost rising for bridge to Braves development

From the article:
The bridge that will carry walkers, bicyclists and people-moving trams over 15 lanes of interstate highway to SunTrust Park could cost taxpayers about $3 million more than Cobb County officials have previously acknowledged. And the bill could keep climbing.

The county has told the public for the past year that the span over I-285 would cost a maximum of $9 million. But that is an estimate of construction costs only, and does not include expenses that are necessary to complete the project, Cobb DOT Director Faye DiMassimo acknowledged recently in response to questions from The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Can we call this thing a boondoggle yet? I feel like the Billion+ being spent to replace a perfectly fine stadium could have been used in a much better way to actually benefit Cobb and the region.

For this amount, Cobb/Braves could have probably built a rail connection to tie in directly with the MARTA system, and a better solution could have been implemented for Turner field (Mag Lev was being proposed not long before the move was announced). I think connecting Cobb to the rest of the metro and the airport, via rail, would have been a bigger benefit to the county and the region as a whole, in the long run.

From the article:
The proposal also mentioned concerns: the bridge’s 1,100-foot span is long, equal to 3 1/2 football fields; its incline relatively steep; and exposure to the elements could be harsh.

“We will focus heavily on softening the walking experience,” the proposal says. “We will … create opportunities for refuge and seating; incorporate cover areas or overhead canopies to provide shading.”

It says there could be “misting stations” along the way.

This whole thing is going to be an uphill battle. They are going to throw so much money and effort into trying to make Cobb into something that it clearly is not. The pedestrian experience, after all money and effort aside, is going to still be horrible.
Why does this latest rendering have two bridges on the south side of 285? Is one not enough?

Sheesh. By the time this thing is up and running, it's gonna rival Vegas in terms of glitziness.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:07 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,813,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Try 5-7% yearly tuition hikes, compounding on each other, for 6 or 7 years. Even putting away money every year for college, it's hard to keep pace when the cost of attendance doubles in a decade.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:28 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,698,706 times
Quote:
Why does this latest rendering have two bridges on the south side of 285? Is one not enough?

Sheesh. By the time this thing is up and running, it's gonna rival Vegas in terms of glitziness.
It is one bridge, with 2 lanes. One for transit and another for pedestrians/cyclists, because so many people are going to ride their bikes to the stadium.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
It is one bridge, with 2 lanes. One for transit and another for pedestrians/cyclists, because so many people are going to ride their bikes to the stadium.
Oh, god, I forgot all about the bikes!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta