U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2015, 05:55 AM

28 posts, read 22,946 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

I am being transferred to PTC soon but I am not sure if I would enjoy actually living in PTC. I am a 26 year old female engineer and I really enjoy being able to walk to restaurants from my apartment. It sounds like Buckhead would be perfect, but that would be way too far of a commute. Do I have any options for living that lifestyle I want without having more than a 35 min commute to work?

1. Budget - $1400ish/month for apartment
2. House/Condo/Townhome? - Rent
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - Will be working in Peachtree City
4. Children(public school vs. private) - NONE
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - Urban
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - not important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. - upscale young professional area

Thank you so much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 07:57 AM

3,207 posts, read 4,505,860 times
Well, I hate to break it to you but it's more or less impossible. Depends where in PTC we're talking about exactly (PTC itself is geographically large), but 35 minutes is about the minimum it would ever take to get from the city to the northernmost part.

But you've got a couple things going for you:

1. You're counter-commuting. Traffic will more or less never be an issue.
2. A lot of cool urban neighborhoods are much further south than Buckhead.

For starters, there's Midtown. You'll face 5ish minutes of traffic each morning getting on the interstate, with smooth sailing after that. $1,400 is doable in Midtown.

Then you've got Old Fourth Ward/Inman Park/East Atlanta Village/Virginia Highland types of neighborhoods. $1,400 is a good budget in these areas. Just focus on getting something with really good access to Freedom Parkway or I-20.

Buckhead is only about 5 miles north of Midtown, but is drastically worse from a traffic standpoint. Loads of people are commuting into Midtown and Downtown in the morning; you'll be fighting that for 15-20 minutes or more before you finally hit I-20 and smooth sailing. So your commute suddenly ends up being in excess of an hour. Likewise on the way home.

FYI, for a lot of people the neighborhood they would choose will hinge on their social dynamic. Buckhead is pretty upscale, a little more conservative, less artsy. The other neighborhoods I mentioned are more artsy and counterculture, to one degree or another (EAV the most so). Midtown is in the middle--quite a liberal, gay area but ultimately a very friendly place for anyone to live.

There is East Point/College Park/Hapeville as an option, but I don't think they'll work for you reading through your criteria. It's an abnormal area for a twenty something urban professional to live. But the commute would be significantly easier.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:15 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,530,393 times
Check out "Highlands of West Village" off 285 and Atlanta Rd in Smyrna.

You will be literally next to 285 so commuting doing a reverse commute will be easy. .

Last edited by afdinatl; 03-04-2015 at 09:00 AM..

Old 03-04-2015, 08:49 AM

27,724 posts, read 24,737,149 times
PTC = Peachtree Corners or Peachtree City?

Old 03-04-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
PTC = Peachtree Corners or Peachtree City?
Peachtree City

Old 03-04-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Well, I hate to break it to you but it's more or less impossible. Depends where in PTC we're talking about exactly (PTC itself is geographically large), but 35 minutes is about the minimum it would ever take to get from the city to the northernmost part.

But you've got a couple things going for you:

1. You're counter-commuting. Traffic will more or less never be an issue.
2. A lot of cool urban neighborhoods are much further south than Buckhead.

For starters, there's Midtown. You'll face 5ish minutes of traffic each morning getting on the interstate, with smooth sailing after that. $1,400 is doable in Midtown.

Then you've got Old Fourth Ward/Inman Park/East Atlanta Village/Virginia Highland types of neighborhoods. $1,400 is a good budget in these areas. Just focus on getting something with really good access to Freedom Parkway or I-20.

Buckhead is only about 5 miles north of Midtown, but is drastically worse from a traffic standpoint. Loads of people are commuting into Midtown and Downtown in the morning; you'll be fighting that for 15-20 minutes or more before you finally hit I-20 and smooth sailing. So your commute suddenly ends up being in excess of an hour. Likewise on the way home.

FYI, for a lot of people the neighborhood they would choose will hinge on their social dynamic. Buckhead is pretty upscale, a little more conservative, less artsy. The other neighborhoods I mentioned are more artsy and counterculture, to one degree or another (EAV the most so). Midtown is in the middle--quite a liberal, gay area but ultimately a very friendly place for anyone to live.

There is East Point/College Park/Hapeville as an option, but I don't think they'll work for you reading through your criteria. It's an abnormal area for a twenty something urban professional to live. But the commute would be significantly easier.
Unfortunatly I think you are right... I will either have to settle for a longer commute or live somewhere closer to PTC. I really hate to think of a 9 hour work day turning into 11 hours because of a commute. I think I will look at some places in the closer areas you mentioned like East Point and College Park. Thank you so much for the advice, I appreciate it!

Old 03-04-2015, 03:26 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,252,650 times
Downtown College Park over East Point in my opinion. It is just Prettier.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:13 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,154,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jms123 View Post
Unfortunatly I think you are right... I will either have to settle for a longer commute or live somewhere closer to PTC. I really hate to think of a 9 hour work day turning into 11 hours because of a commute. I think I will look at some places in the closer areas you mentioned like East Point and College Park. Thank you so much for the advice, I appreciate it!
You could also look at Grant Park, Cabbagetown, and Castleberry Hill neighborhoods. They are a bit further south than Old Fourth Ward and the like, offer density and walkability, and quick interstate access. Still a haul to PTC, but as far south in the city that you'll get with the lifestyle you're looking for. East Point and College Park are also good options.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:23 PM

4,129 posts, read 3,220,417 times
I know someone who commutes from midtown to PTC. Not bad at all and gives you the city life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or